DISH antenna stolen - twice. Help!!

any way too hook up an electric fence module without taking out the reciever or signal? perhaps put a larger diameter pole over the mast that doesnt touch the original mast or dish?

Then use the micro switch as normally closed, so when the dish is removed from the pole, the power passes through and triggers an alarm.

Definitely a possibility. I'm also looking at a "Simulated Security Camera" from Radio Shack for about $30. It looks like the real thing but it doesn't do anything except except blink a red light!!

My apple tree, I made a sign saying with a big red circle with and slash

Do Not Take Apples
Web Cam Monitored
Violators will be prosecuted

Well, you could (depending on the dish) replace the top bolt (the one the dish piviots up and down on) with a nice padlock, and finish it off by riveting those bird spikes around the dish - might prove to be interesting to remove!

Definitely a possibility. I'm also looking at a "Simulated Security Camera" from Radio Shack for about $30. It looks like the real thing but it doesn't do anything except except blink a red light!!

Real cameras don't blink red lights. Good idea though... I'd go with a real camera combined with the alarm idea. Nice ideas!

I kinda like the idea of combining a couple of these solutions ... combining micro-switches to sense when the dish has been lifted, and then a electric fence unit good for say a dozen or so clicks of fence and then I think you will have a anti-theft solution.

I am assuming her town house is in an "apartment" kind of setting, that is the main reason we don't install on poles or tripods etc. in apt. complexes. They are easily accessible by anyone walking by and so tempting to punk kids.

A couple thoughts, a non-pen mount. Thats a "non-penetrating roof mount" like you see on the peak of the roof of mini-marts hold Hughes net dishes that run there lotto systems. They are held down to the roof by 6 or more construction bricks, and don't damage the roof at all. the mounts themselves are ~$100 but it will cost more than that in labor to have it installed. Also they are a bit of an eye-sore, and may not be allowed either. The other (and probably better) is a mount that looks kind of like this:

KAUEM1_det_zoomC.jpg

But it clamps to the 2x4 using no screws/bolts, we have one in our shop but I can't find a pix on-line for it at the moment.

Good luck,
Brad

Dont forget to put "Smile youre on camera" in reflective letters on the dish somewhere.

didnt know people actualy bothered steeling dish's. you can get a 20"dish n LNB were i live for 20 bucks. But if they keep trying to take em to like someone else mentioned.. Put some kind of pad lock, weld it or move it. those r the only options i see.. or if you dont mind watchin tv for a bit disconnect the cables and attach some serious voltage to the dish so who ever tries taking it gets a nice shot of voltage to their bodies.

Its probably some stupid installer taking the Dish and selling off the parts when he does a service call.

#1 Get the switch off the pole and inside the house. I see too many guys tie strap a DP33, DP34 or DP44 to the pole when doing a ground mount. You might as well just take a $50 bill to the pole because thats just how valuable these switches are.

#2 Get a good pole such as a gas pipe of water pipe and cement it in the ground. Fence pipe breaks off too easily. We use fence pipe for our ground mounts since its cheap, however I have done repos in under a minute with only a pair of wire cutters by breaking off the fence post from the ground.

#3 Replace all the bolts on the Dish with something other than 1/2 and 7/16. This is the only size wrenches that Dish installers keep on their trucks. Whoeever is stealing your Dishes has a 7/16 wrench in their pocket, changing the bolts to something other than 7/16 will force them to go back out their truck and they aint gonna go back with a wrench set and try several wrenches before the find the right one.

Both cable and AT&T Uverse are available but neither have the international channels available on Dish.

what he meant was, sometimes the local cable will give you a credit if you ditch your dish. so somebody could steal yours and then turn it in for the credit...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)