Dish ANywhere data usage question

steve1313

Original poster
Aug 19, 2022
Virginia
Here's my setup. My dish and the Hopper are at my lakehouse, and connected to the internet via a cellular hotspot connection. It works fine.

At my main residence, I want to drop my Xfinity TV package, because I'm not there very often and I'm tired of paying $200+ for programming I rarely watch. So, I want to just have Xfinity internet at my main residence, and I want to use Dish Anywhere on a Firestick to stream some of the same live channels that are in my Dish package (local networks, Hallmark, ESPN, etc).

I started doing that yesterday from my main residence and it works very well. However, when I checked the data usage on my lakehouse cellular connection I'm suddenly using a lot of my cellular data. Since nobody's at the lakehouse, the only explanation I have for the data usage is the Hopper must be using data to connect/stream with the Firestick.

So, when I'm at my main residence and use Dish Anywhere on my Firestick, does it use internet bandwidth at my lakehouse?? I wasn't watching anything from my Hopper DVR, just streaming live channels. I would have thought that would only use data from my main residence (Xfinity) internet connection. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
DishAnywhere streams programming from your lakehouse Hopper via the Internet to your Firestick, so yes, you're using cellular data on the lakehouse end and Xfinity data on the house end. DishAnywhere will direct stream select programming from the source without using your cellular data, but it's a limited selection. Select "Streaming" on the DA guide to see which channels are available.

I can attest to what NYDutch says. In June a big storm left a large tree branch on the roof. In the process of removing it & dropping pieces to the ground, we hit the dish on a pole at the side of the house, bending the dish itself. While waiting for the service call we used the fire stick and streaming services to tide us over & figured we'd use DishAnywhere to watch other stuff. Good chance to experiment.

Some channels would work - presumably streaming from some internet server, not my Hopper3. Local channels in particular and a lot of other channels would not work because it was trying to use the H3 which had no signal. So, in general, you'll be using a lot of internet data at the Hopper location.

Thanks NYDutch and Cold Irons! That's EXACTLY the info I needed to know. Unfortunately, it makes my proposed setup a no-go, because I'm limited to 100g a month bandwidth and one night of TV watching (local channels) through the Firestick used over 10g of data.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)