Dish anywhere? - NO

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
This is for any DIRT Team member. I checked on the Dish-anywhere app for the Android operating system. I was rather ticked that Dish thought everyone out there has the latest, newest, and super version operating system on their phone. There are some of us that have a little older Android phone. The app page states it will not work on my smart phone. Well that is a bummer. So, why did Dish do that?.......RT

My understanding is the updates would not play well with older OS versions. Currently we support Android 2.3 or later, iPhone iOS 4.2 or later, and iPad iOS 5 or later. What are you on?

Currently we support Android 2.3 or later...

I have a Motorola Defy with Android 2.2. The old app works just fine. Is there any way to put it back on the store so that those with older phones, who did not download it already, can download it again?

OK Android experts... Is there a way I can copy the old app off my Defy and give it to RT?

Yes there is. Download an app called AndroZip file manager. Then hit menu and one of your options should be backup. Backup the dish anywhere app. This should save an.
.Apk file to your ad card that you can share with RT

Sent From My Samsung Hercules

Thanks Brian, I think I did it. I'm looking at a DISH_1.4.apk file on my microSD card. Can I send it to RT without him getting my personal account info? Or do I have to just trust him? :eek:

Thanks Brian, I think I did it. I'm looking at a DISH_1.4.apk file on my microSD card. Can I send it to RT without him getting my personal account info? Or do I have to just trust him? :eek:

Before backing it up, do a "clear the data." Then go back into your app and sign back in.

Even the Slingbox Tablet App is limited, covers the Slingbox Pro HD and the two new units only. However, with less features, the old Slingbox phone app will work on the Tablet and just about every Slingbox. (The tablet app has an actual Dish remote control like the desktop app has - very nifty....)

Dish Anywhere - NO, Change to YES!

Thanks to TheKrell for sending me the app for my old Android phone. "Old"? Well, I only received it in early February. The model had been out for some time and the talk and data plan could not get any better, so, why not.........Sure wish the "carriage return" was not removed here on the site. Sure makes it hard to format a message........The app works OK. I don't like the too often message of: "Dish remote access is disconnected because slingloaded device has rebooted." At least I have it now on my phone. Tested at home today and will check it out when I get to the office on Monday..........Thanks again for the file "TheKrell".........And I could not locate any private data on/in the download.....RT

You are most welcome. I don't recall ever getting that error message, though I have gotten the "low bandwidth/quality" pup up rather often, even on my local 1G wireless N network.

To avoid this with most (though not every) app, get a back-up app like "My Backup Pro" and save apps to an SD card.