Dish Anywhere - Not working after Windows 10 update

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I haven't uninstalled KB4013429, but now DishAnywhere Player doesn't crash, it just get stuck at "Initializing..."
On my computers, It connects to my receiver, says that it is starting the streaming, then it crashes with a 'Plugin has crashed' error message. The error message appears inside the Dish Anywhere Player window, so it is the Dish Player Plugin that is crashing, (not the Firefox or IE Browser). If I keep trying it, then Dish Anywhere gets stuck on the 'initializing...' screen.

I just looked at Windows event viewer and it listed the following errors:

Faulting application name: DishAnywherePlayer.exe, version: 1.1.6.424, time stamp: 0x5881fc94
Faulting module name: CompPkgSup.DLL, version: 10.0.14393.953, time stamp: 0x58ba5a1f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000346b
Faulting process id: 0x1360
Faulting application start time: 0x01d29e60abc7ab80
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\DishAnywherePlayer\DishAnywherePlayer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\CompPkgSup.DLL
Report Id: 87e41399-6dd5-40a7-8494-2f7d34bfe0d6
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Dish Anywhere is a PITA. My receiver shows as offline via the website however it shows as online via the Android App, on my account and as connected via the broadband connection on the guide. I can ping the receiver over my network and it shows as connected to my router. I can schedule recordings via Android but not with the web app. I have used different browsers, etc. but nothing seems to work. Yeah I've unplugged the receiver and router but that does nothing. All the Dish reps ever do is advise to unplug the receiver and router and reboot. No one seems to want to fix the problem.

One thing that makes it a little harder to troubleshoot and fix is that Dish Anywhere is working ok for some and not others. The recent Windows update broke Dish Anywhere for some of us (including me) but others have said it is working fine.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Dish Anywhere is a PITA. My receiver shows as offline via the website however it shows as online via the Android App, on my account and as connected via the broadband connection on the guide. I can ping the receiver over my network and it shows as connected to my router. I can schedule recordings via Android but not with the web app. I have used different browsers, etc. but nothing seems to work. Yeah I've unplugged the receiver and router but that does nothing. All the Dish reps ever do is advise to unplug the receiver and router and reboot. No one seems to want to fix the problem.
The problem is likely on your computer. And fixing a corrupted file on the PC can be quite difficult and frustrating.

Had the same issue on this Dell Inspiron 3847 desktop. Dish Anywhere loaded the video player, connected to my DVR (VIP722k) and stated that it was starting a stream. After a few seconds, the "plugin crashed" message appeared.

Uninstalled the Microsoft Security Update mentioned earlier in this thread.

The uninstall appeared to hang about 7/8 of the way to completion. After waiting close to a half hour, I closed the uninstall window - not cancelled - closed. Then restarted the computer.

It took a very long time to come back up because windows was "getting my computer ready" :) Another half hour later, I left the house at 84% completion so don't know how long the entire process actually took.

The computer seems to be running much faster now without the Microsoft update.

When I launched Dish Anywhere, it loaded properly but didn't actually show a video stream. Just a black window. At this point I quit out of the player window and used Process Explorer to kill the DISH Slingplayer Process Tree. When I restarted Dish Anywhere, it worked properly.

You might be able to use Task Manager to kill the SlingPlayer process. Otherwise, Process Explorer is available at:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer

The problem is likely on your computer. And fixing a corrupted file on the PC can be quite difficult and frustrating.

Um I seriously doubt the problem is with my computer. I have two laptops and a desktop at home and a laptop at my office. Dish Anywhere (Nowhere) shows the receiver to be offline on ALL of the computers when in fact it is online. This is a Dish problem.

I started a troubleshooting chat with LailaS who is on the Dirt team. She said: "We have not had other reports stating the issue you are having since the newest update". I think it would help if everyone else who is having this issue please report it to Dish or the Dirt team so that Dish will take this issue more seriously.

LailaS said that she would pass the information on to Dish Engineering, and she is being very helpful trying to troubleshoot the problem.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Had the same issue on this Dell Inspiron 3847 desktop. Dish Anywhere loaded the video player, connected to my DVR (VIP722k) and stated that it was starting a stream. After a few seconds, the "plugin crashed" message appeared...
Both my Desktop and Laptop computers are Dell. Since some others are not seeing the problem, I wonder if it is something related to Dell?

Contacted Dish tech support last night, the person blamed it on my computer and told me to contact my PC manufacturer to resolve. Home built PC that worked fine before recent DishAnywherePlayer update, running Windows 10 on a desktop PC. Dish tech support did not say anything about reporting the problem because they blamed it on my PC. So stupid! Another Windows 10 tablet and Windows 10 desktop PC in my home, tablet works, other desktop PC also doesn't work. Latest Windows and DishAnywherePlayer updates applied to all PCs/tablets. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling DishAnywherePlayer on my desktop PC, same problem either get "plugin has crashed" or sit at 100% on initializing forever.

Both my Desktop and Laptop computers are Dell. Since some others are not seeing the problem, I wonder if it is something related to Dell?

My Dell is working fine with DISH Anywhere PC, except for the funky DVR lists.

...guess my Dell theory is shot down.

Sorry... But I've seen posts all over the internet about how that last update batch messed up people's video. There's a couple of threads about it at the tenforums.com. Good luck.

Sorry... But I've seen posts all over the internet about how that last update batch messed up people's video. There's a couple of threads about it at the tenforums.com. Good luck.
Thanks for that tip. I checked tenforums and it is littered with video problems that occurred after KB4013429 was installed. A lot of people are saying that compatibility with the new version of CompPkgSup.dll is the problem, and that installing the previous version of it (or uninstalling KB4013429) fixes the issue.

Reactions: JSheridan
I found it also screwed up a couple of sites that use flash. On some sites it ignores the setting to allow Flash and after a couple of days of wondering why I couldn't play music inside the browser I found the reason. I have to tell the affected sites to allow it each time I go there. An example is Amazon download music - I can't sample the music it downloads the sample instead of playing it (Till I tell the browser to allow it)

Upon further review, I figured out 4013429 screwed up the Windows DVD player and my DVD burning software Power2go. I uninstalled it and used the Microsoft hide updates tool to hide it. I also went into the Windows pro settings, and set the updates to defer them for the max setting of 30 days. That will give me enough time to read about them in the future.
I also found a setting to hide driver updates. I'm tired of MS screwing up my hardware because they think their drivers are better than ones from the hardware manufacturers.

I had a little time this AM and I can confirm that replacing CompPkgSup.dll with the previous version fixes the problem. It took me a while to figure out that there are 2 copies of CompPkgSup.dll that need to be replaced. You can't just copy the files because Windows will not let you have access to the files while Windows in running. If anyone is interested here is how I did it:

First, obtain a copy of the previous version of the CompPkgSup.dll file (version 10.0.14393.0). (I extracted the previous version of the CompPkgSup.dll file from an Acronis backup that I made before I installed the new Windows update).

Boot Windows 10 from a Windows recovery disk.

Select Troubleshoot, Advanced, then Command prompt.

Copy the old CompPkgSup.dll to both the Windows\System32 and the Windows SysWOW64 directories, overwriting the copies that are in those directories.

Reboot Windows and no more problems with CompPkgSup.dll.

For reference: the new (non-working) version of CompPkgSup is 10.0.14393.953

New Windows 10 update: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4015438).

Maybe it will fix the DishAnywhere crash issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts