Dish Anywhere only shows one HWS

GreeneDish

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Central VA
Sorry for the long post but I want to give as much information as I can.

I have two Hoppers with Sling and am having issues with one and Dish Anywhere. HWS 1 is connected by cable to my router and HWS 2 is connected via MoCA. Both units are showing a connection speed of 28.385 Mbps and have no problems with Netflix. However, when accessing Dish Anywhere only HWS 2 is seen as a sling device (and it works just as it should). I have tried it using IE 11, Edge, Chrome and Firefox on a Win 10 box at work, IE 10 and Chrome on a Win 7 laptop at home, Safari, Chrome, and Firefox on a iMac (El Capitan) at work, a MacBook Pro (El Capitan), and Mac Mini (Yosemite) at home, Dish Anywhere App (6.5.38) on a iPhone 6 and Dish Anywhere app (6.20.37) on a iPad Air. Regardless of the device or method of access, the result is the same. HWS 2 shows “name” Receiver ID, Software Version, and as a Sling Device. HWS 1 only shows the Dish assigned number and Receiver ID.

I spoke with 4 different Dish techs yesterday. The first could not help as I was not in front of the unit (this I understand), the second passed me off to the “network” unit (again, I understand). The “network” tech told me it was a browser issue as Netflix would not work if it were a hardware issue and that she would escalate it and I “should” hear something in 48 to 72 hours. As the issue was in multiple browsers on multiple platforms and in the Dish Anywhere app, I did not accept her answer so I called back asking for a supervisor. After another half hour repeating my information and re-trying all the troubleshooting steps, she said it was a known issue with no known fix but could not explain what is issue is.

So, is there a issue with Dish Anywhere that would cause these symptoms or do I have a hardware issue they will not acknowledge?

Thanks,
Steve

I have the same problem, Only 1 of my 2 HWSs shows up in DishAnywhere on my iPhones and iPads.

HWS#1 directly connected to router doesn't appear while HWS#2 which is connected to the internet through HWS#1 does.

Very strange.

That is strange, in both cases it is the directly connect unit that is not showing up. At least it appears that it is something on Dish's end and not a hardware issue. Now we just need to hear if there is any "fix" in the works.

I had the same problem.

After over an hour on the phone with Dish, the only fix was to connect both HWS via Ethernet, with one with bridging on.

The only way to pick which HWS is now thru Settings, receiver. "Select TV" no longer works.

I don't think they see it as a bug and I have little hope they will fix it.

I'd like to fiddle around with it and see if some other combination works, but don't have the time.

Try this "fix" and post results.

While I appreciate the "fix" suggestion, it is not an option in my case as it would require running about 200 feet of Cat-6 cable three stories down through sealed walls and across to the other side of the house through a sealed ceiling. While I could buy a set of POE adapters, I do not think I should have to spend my money to fix something that worked as advertised until about a week ago. If Dish changed something to "break" this then they should apply a patch to fix it. Has anyone seen this issue with a Hopper 3? Perhaps I need to upgrade my hardware to regain my capabilities.

Please disregard my upgrade inquiry. From reading other posts it seems like I can't have two H3's or one H3 and one HWS. I guess I will just have to live with the issue. Fortunately it is not a show stopper just an inconvenience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts