Dish Anywhere - Serious problem

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
Today I accessed Dish Anywhere (from a location away from home), and when I brought up the list of my recordings, it listed about a dozen recordings that I never made. It also listed most of my real recordings, but not all of them.

I was able to play back the recordings that I never made, and worse of all, I was able to delete them as well. I can only assume that I was seeing someone else's recordings mixed in with my own, It is scary that I was able to delete someone else's recordings from my computer!

When I use my iPhone, the list of my recordings is correct. When I use my Windows 7 laptop, I get the problem I described above.

This is a very serious problem and I hope that Dish will fix it quickly!

I would be happy to look into this for you. Please PM me with your account or phone number and your 4 digit PIN.

I do not believe I saw an outcome but the posts are on this site somewhere...

I believe it has to do with an IP address conflict, IIRC. The resolution, I do not recall.

After digging into this issue, I think that I have figured out what happened. I noticed that all of my phantom recordings were dated from 04-19-2015 to 06-01-2015. I did not even own this receiver during that time period!

My current receiver is a refurbished HWS. (The Seagate drive in my previous HWS went bad so Dish replaced it with a refurbished one). The refurbished unit was shipped to me on 06-08-2015. I received it a few days later.

I think that the phantom recordings were left over from the previous person that owned this receiver. The recordings are not actually stored on my hard drive, but somehow they are showing up online when I use Dish Anywhere from outside my home. Somehow these recordings are still associated with my receiver.

Interesting, as I have noticed that it takes some time (like hours) before DishAnywhere will display recordings I've moved FROM the external HDD to the internal HDD. I've tried logging off and on and rebooting the mobile device, etc., but no change. After a few hours, the moved recording, finally, shows up.

So yeah, it is like some kind of memory that is not updated or it does not access the DVR except for the initial log in. In can be frustrating sometimes.

Now that I have returned home, the phantom recordings are still showing up on Dish Anywhere, even though I am on my home network. Previously I thought that the problem only occurred when away from home (using internet).

The list of recordings is correct when viewed on my TV or when viewed on my iPhone. The phantom recordings show up on all of my home PC systems (desktops and laptops, all with Windows 7).

Now, none of the phantom recordings will play back, but I can delete them. I am pretty sure that the phantom recordings are left over from the previous owner of my refurbished receiver. It looks like Dish Anywhere is somehow keeping track of recordings that were previously associated with my receiver, but are no longer present on my hard drive (the bad hard drive on my refurbished receiver was replaced with a new Western Digital drive). When I try to play back the recordings, I can see that there is a url that Dish Anywhere is trying to access, so it somehow is keeping track of recordings that it thinks are still on my hard drive .

I think that I will just go ahead and delete the phantom recordings. Hopefully, things will return to normal afterwards.

Today, all of the phantom recordings reappeared! Yesterday, I was able to delete the recordings. When they were deleted, the recordings disappeared from the list as you would expect, and I thought that the problem was solved. However, today when I logged in to Dish Anywhere, all of the recordings reappeared in the list of my recordings.

When I delete the recordings, they seem to be deleted, but if I close the Dish Anywhere window and reopen it, all of the recordings reappear in the list. In all, there are 14 different titles, and a total of 33 recordings that seem to be left over from the previous user of my refurbished receiver. I cannot play them and I cannot delete them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts