Dish Anywhere Streaming Speed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

IceMan5043

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Cedar Grove, New Jersey
Hello, I'm a brand new Dish Network customer and am loving my Hopper with Sling! However, I do not know how to get the maximum buffer speed on Dish Anywhere. I have an internet connection of 50 mbps downstream and 25 mbps upstream. I have my Hopper with Sling hardwired with ethernet and have checked the speeds ON THAT LINE with my laptop, confirming 50/25. However, when I try to stream my connection remotely I top out at around 6500 kbps (6.5Mbps). While the picture is very nice, I would love to make use of my full upload speed and get a 25000 kbps buffer speed. Also, my download speed on my remote connection can also support the full 25 Mbps. Has anybody run into similar issues or have any solutions? Thanks!

Even on my gigabit LAN highest I usually see is around 8Mbps. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

i gotta say that the WIFI where i work is terrible at whopping speeds of 1.5mbps and was impressed how well the app worked on my S3.

Probably that is as fast that they are going to send it to you. Anything above 5 Mbps should give you good to excellent HD pictures as long as the connection is steady and the latency doesn't vary significantly.

If they sent you the video at 50 Mbps they would not have the bandwidth to serve as many other customers while filling your request and your receiver would just end up buffering the data between requests for more video bytes.

I thought *I* was the one supplying the bandwidth. I have the upload speed to serve myself on the other end. How does that affect any other customers? Oh well, I guess I got my answer...

I thought *I* was the one supplying the bandwidth. I have the upload speed to serve myself on the other end. How does that affect any other customers? Oh well, I guess I got my answer...

You are the one supplying the bandwidth. Keep in mind though that satellite TV is not Blu-Ray. Typical HD streams use 6-8Mbps.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

You have to realize the Hopper has to share time downloading with the iPad, feeding the TV you are watching, feeding the Joeys, and recording all the stuff that is on the timers at the time. We are getting a download speed to not infringe on the other services the Hopper has to provide. It has nothing to do with other customers.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but related to my question and first thing that came up in google search...

When using my iPad at home on my network (verizon dsl 5mbps/700kbps) my dish anywhere speed is around 5mbps and the HD is very nice. At a family members house in another city (verizon fios 25mbps/15mbps) the dish anywhere speed is 700kbps and HD quality terrible.

Just curious how it can be faster at my house, if live tv is limited via my upload speed? Or does it work differently on home network?

Now heres the kicker, at home watching dvr material I get the 700kbps limtation.

Anyone shed some insight, thanks!

At home it uses your internal network. When you are away it is limited the upload speed of your home internet service. So you are limited to the 700kbps upload of your Verizon dsl service when traveling.

When you are in your home on your own network it is limited to the speed of your router 10/100/1000.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: Skytrooper
Just realized OLD thread. But I'll leave the info anyway.

AFIK, Sling tech only requires an average of about 7.5Mbs for the highest quality HD. This is my experience from my Slingbox. So, 6.5Mbps is EXCELLENT FULL bandwidth for the very best HD quality. The bit rate will vary and is dynamic because the less video information (such as talking heads or very steady scene) the less bandwidth (even as low as 3.5Mbs) is required to maintain full BEST HD, while a scene with action or many elements will require more bandwidth to possibly maximum between 6.5-7.5Mbs to maintain Best HD.

Sling proprietary re-encoding technology allows for a FULL 1920 X 1080 using far LESS bit rate than other competing products, and can also change on the fly by increasing or decreasing based upon your connection speed without stuttering or pixelating, but turning soft or sharp, instead. so that if your ISP is suddenly only to provide 4Mbps upstream, you can still get a GREAT quality picture that automatically adjusts. Sling can send excellent quality PQ at even 3Mbs while competitors greatly struggle with this and have really bad PQ with limited bandwidth.

My experience with my Slingbox on my LAN to both my PC and TV (via WD device) for BEST HD (1080) varies between 3Mbps to 7.3Mbps depending upon the scene. It most often hovers about 6Mbps with it only rarely exceeding 7Mpbs because of a really busy scene of video. I have to say that the picture is SUPERB and on the HDTV, one can NOT tell the difference between live HD and the HD being sent by my Slingbox to my WD connected to the HDTV. It looks as if NO LOSS (but of course there is with re-encoding anything) PQ, Sling is that GOOD.

So, you are doing as designed with the FULL Best HD possible. It's just that Sling proprietary re-encoding can send an astounding PQ full 1920 X1080 Best HD using a bit rate around 6Mbps.

Reactions: Skytrooper
Osu1991 and dishsubla, your posts helped me understand what goes on with Sling in a easy to understand way.

I don't see anything wrong with responding to old threads. It helped me.

I'm glad this thread is active ... I have observed LAN DishAnywhere speeds slowing down over time. (LAN means this is not pertaining to connecting devices outside of my home). When I connect my Macbook Pro to my Hopper w/ Sling, hardwired so no WiFi in play here, I will see the speed deteriorate to 4000kbps, and sometimes it will have trouble getting above 1000kbps. I will get messages saying "Internet connection or computer are not able to support this speed). Going to the Hopper w/ Sling, Settings, Network and resetting network settings will recover the speed to the expected 8kbps. Also, power cycling the Linksys E4200 router that is between the computer an Hopper w/ Sling will recover the speed. Computer CPU utilization is not an issue. I have performed LAN speed tests and am seeing > 80 Mbps. I also see similar behavior using an iPad - solid WiFi connection, can only get 400-500 kbps. Resetting the network recovers to expected 4000kpbs. Has anyone seen this type of behavior or have ideas about how to keep the speed up ? It seems that the Hopper box is throttling the speed (?). BTW - I have one Joey connected to the hopper.

First thing. 4000kbps=4mbps is good for dishanywhere. Second. Can you correct the 8kbps, cause that it almost if not already, impossibly slow.

Going to the Hopper w/ Sling, Settings, Network and resetting network settings will recover the speed to the expected 8kbps <- Should be 8Mbps ... sorry, I hit the wrong key, and I don't see a way to edit my original post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)