Dish anywhere without internet

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Creede

Original poster
Apr 6, 2015
Colorado
I take my hopper to my cabin in the Summer. Is there a way to get dish anywhere on my Ipad without internet. I hooked the hopper up to a router and all devices's connect but the dish app does not work.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Creede

Dish Anywhere must have an internet connection to connect the app to the receiver. I think the receiver announces it's presence to a server somewhere that the DA app also connects to. If both receiver and app are on the same network. streaming stays on the LAN.

You may be able to use your cell phone to provide a WAN connection to get DA to connect, that is if you have cell service.

Are you trying to stream on the iPad, instead of having a Joey? If so, that should require an Internet connection. If you have the hopper and iPad on the same network, then you can transfer programs to the ipad(assuming this is a HWS).

First, no internet service is available at my cabin. Last Summer, I upgraded to a Hopper and one joey. At my home,I have internet and can watch tv on my other devices, so I know everything can work. I took an old router to the cabin and my devices and the hopper connect to it, but the Dish app does not alow me to see the guide or watch tv from the ipad.
I was told that there was a way this setup would work without an internet service. Perhaps the router is not compatible with the hopper?
Again the goal is to watch tv on the ipad, locally.
I hope this is a clearer explanation of what I am trying to acomplish.
Again, thanks for any help and also for your replies.

Creede

From what you are explaining, you would need a slingbox, and doing it that way. I don't think the sling technology in the Dish equipment will work for what you are wanting to do.

Maybe I am a little dense. Where I have internet, I connect my ipad and my hopper to my router wirelessly and I can watch tv. It seems to me that this is all done locally on my network. For this application, I don't see where the internet comes into play. This is a different router than I tried to used at my cabin.

Thanks for the reply.

Creede

I think it has something to do with authorizations, and actual information downloading to the ipad(for the guide and what not) which is why the Internet would be necessary. At home, IIRC, you would still be using Internet. I know, from users on here, that with the sling box, it just acts as a pss through how you are wanting. It doesn't deliver a custom guide or anything like that, so that may be the biggest difference. So ultimately, again, I dknt beleive you can do the DA live video without Internet, but you would be able to transfer programs to your iPad from the hopper if you have the HWS.

Hopper with sling...aka a second generation hopper that has the sling technology built into it. The original hopper, Hopper2000(or H2K), did not have this capability, without a sling adapter, and no wireless option... No transfer option, and no Netflix option.

Maybe I am a little dense. Where I have internet, I connect my ipad and my hopper to my router wirelessly and I can watch tv. It seems to me that this is all done locally on my network. For this application, I don't see where the internet comes into play. This is a different router than I tried to used at my cabin.

Thanks for the reply.

Creede
Reason for internet:

The Dish receiver is (generally) connected on the LAN side of a router. There is no way for an app on the WAN side to connect to the Dish receiver due to Network Address Translation and firewall. So the Dish receiver reaches out to a server somewhere and provides connection information that the Dish Anywhere has access to by connecting to the same server. Without the internet, the Dish Anywhere app has no way to establish a connection with the receiver even though they are both on the LAN side of the router.

Once the connection information is available a local connection between the Dish Anywhere app and the Dish receiver can be made, bypassing the internet, but only after the server provides the necessary connection information to both the app and receiver. The app simply hasn't been programmed to look for a receiver on the LAN directly. It could be done but has not been coded that way.

Try this on your home. Disconnect your router form the Internet and see if your iPad still work. You have your answer..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts