Dish Anywhere without using data?

grc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 5, 2019
USA
Our internet is via a Jetpack - using cell data. Is it possible to stream a recorded program on the Hopper 3 to a Dish Anywhere device in the bedroom without using data (WiFi from Hopper to the device or does the stream have to be via the Internet? Thanks.

Any time you're watching Dish Anywhere from a Firestick it would require an Internet connection; if you're using a mobile device like a phone or tablet you can transfer items to the hard drive to view offline, but with Firesticks it's not possible.

Dish support is only partially correct. Dish Anywhere requires an internet connection to login and establish a connection to your Hopper3 receiver.
But once it is connected it only uses your home network to stream programs from your Hopper3 to the Firestick.
I verified this tonight to make sure I was still correct. I started Dish Anywhere on my Basement Firestick and started streaming the local news program from my Hopper3. I then disconnected my Spectrum modem to eliminate internet connection. My Firestick continued to stream with no problems.

In summary you need an internet connection to establish the Dish Anywhere connection but streaming from you Hopper3 to the Firestick uses your home network and will not consume any data. I hope that this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Thanks folks. I wasn't thinking about a firestick - just using an iPad app or a laptop.

Same story, once the connection is verified through the internet to Dish, a PC, iPad or Fire Stick will use only the home network to transmit programming within your home.

Reactions: dweber
So I started watching on my phone a program I recorded on the Hopper DVR. Data is turned off, but connected to the internet via the Jetpack. It started playing the program just fine. I then put my Jetpack in airplane mode. I immediately lost the program on my phone, getting a message:
"Offline Mode - Dish anywhere is now offline. We will reconnect automatically once this device regains Internet connect. If you are attempting to use online features, please check your mobile device's Wi-fi and/or cellular connection"

I may not be explaining what I'm trying to do very well, but I take it that the Jetpack was necessary for me to stream the program to the phone?

The jetpack is acting as a router and the conduit between your Hopper and phone.

I don’t know how a Jetpack works but is it possible to keep the Jetpack on as a router but shut off cellular data once Dish Anywhere is connected. On my IPhone 8+ I can shut off cellular data without putting it in airplain mode.

Reactions: TheKrell
I don’t know how a Jetpack works but is it possible to keep the Jetpack on as a router but shut off cellular data once Dish Anywhere is connected. On my IPhone 8+ I can shut off cellular data without putting it in airplain mode.

Most of those little hotspots will give you an option to turn off mobile/cellular data but it's probably buried in a menu somewhere.

So I started watching on my phone a program I recorded on the Hopper DVR. Data is turned off, but connected to the internet via the Jetpack. It started playing the program just fine. I then put my Jetpack in airplane mode. I immediately lost the program on my phone, getting a message:

I may not be explaining what I'm trying to do very well, but I take it that the Jetpack was necessary for me to stream the program to the phone?

i believe airplane mode turns off both cellular data mode as well as WiFi router mode. As noted, if you can turn off just cellular mode, but keep the router turned on, it should work.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)