Dish anywhere won’t stream in HD

Kmac21

Original poster
Jun 29, 2021
Texas
For about the last two weeks I cannot get dish anywhere to stream in HD. I am using an Amazon 4K firestick and a brand new Hisense tv (android operating system.)

I know it is not my Internet connection because if I open the ESPN app or TNT app and log in with my dish credentials it streams flawlessly in HD on both the firestick and Hisense tv.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling dishanywhere, clearing the cache, and rebooting the receiver to no avail.

Any ideas what is causing this? Any solutions for fix?

Also for reference I am trying to use the dishanywhere app away from my home. Would the poor quality have anything to do with the internet connection at my home base or is that completely unrelated? (As mentioned above my remote location has solid internet connection)

Streaming of DA is dependent on your upload speed/quality from wherever your Hopper is located and the download speed/quality at the reception point.

If you have a poor upload connection it will lomit the quality of the image at the download site.

I find that initially DA will be a little blurry but rectifies itself after 10-15 seconds when the software optimizes the connection.

ESPN AP is a connection from ESPN to your download site, it does not depend on your Hopper's upload speed/quality.

Did you go into the settings in the Dish app and make sure it is set to Auto or High and not Standard? I just checked mine and there is a "standard" setting. Maybe yours got switched to standard?

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I just ran into this as well, an a new Android device.
I'm local on my network, same room as my router, and it works fine on other devices. Speed isn't the issue. However, the new device will only stream in what looks like SD. I can't find any setting to toggle resolution or quality or anything like that.

Any ideas?

Also, anyone happen to know what the old version number for DA for Android tablets was? I'd like to go find the APK and test the old version without this new interface and see if that is the issue.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I just ran into this as well, an a new Android device.
I'm local on my network, same room as my router, and it works fine on other devices. Speed isn't the issue. However, the new device will only stream in what looks like SD. I can't find any setting to toggle resolution or quality or anything like that.

Any ideas?

Also, anyone happen to know what the old version number for DA for Android tablets was? I'd like to go find the APK and test the old version without this new interface and see if that is the issue.
I don't see a setting either. It takes time more than a minute or two sometimes but I do eventually see the PQ improve.

I played it for 10 mins or so. It does improve, but nowhere near HD quality. Text at the bottom like a news ticker is barely readable.

DishAnywhere is dependent on both download and upload speeds. Download for where you are at, upload for where the source receiver is at.

I am aware of that. As I mentioned, speed is not the issue as I am on the local LAN which is more than sufficient. At best, DA uses about 8Mb when streaming based on past tests.

Reactions: peggy97850
I am aware of that. As I mentioned, speed is not the issue as I am on the local LAN which is more than sufficient. At best, DA uses about 8Mb when streaming based on past tests.
I had an issue several months ago similar to this. If I rebooted my wireless router (WiFi 6) I would get good quality picture until the next day. A router reboot would correct the issue.
After a Hopper update (possibly a Firestick update, as well) the issue resolved itself.

Dish did a major upgrade to the app on streaming devices a short while ago. With the new upgrade has come a major degradation in picture quality. Now, it can take several minutes for it to straighten itself out to HD quality and even then it’s not as good as it was. It also often hangs if you are skipping ahead.

Dish did a major upgrade to the app on streaming devices a short while ago. With the new upgrade has come a major degradation in picture quality. Now, it can take several minutes for it to straighten itself out to HD quality and even then it’s not as good as it was. It also often hangs if you are skipping ahead.

Yep. And I am pretty sure that now it ignores being on your home network, and sends traffic externally before coming back in.

You'd think picture quality would be one of the core/top functions of this app. 1 step forward, 20 steps back I guess.

Yep. And I am pretty sure that now it ignores being on your home network, and sends traffic externally before coming back in.

You'd think picture quality would be one of the core/top functions of this app. 1 step forward, 20 steps back I guess.
Has anyone tested this? If what should be local network traffic gets routed externally that could cost people without unlimited data. It could explain why I get occasional pixelization with the Hopper and Firestick on the same fast local Wi-Fi.

Has anyone tested this? If what should be local network traffic gets routed externally that could cost people without unlimited data. It could explain why I get occasional pixelization with the Hopper and Firestick on the same fast local Wi-Fi.
I have observed it on my router. When streaming, my data upload matches my data download nearly exactly (no other devices in the house doing anything besides idle traffic which is minimal)

It is a huge risk to those without unlimited data, or with slower connections where this might saturate it. There's absolutely no excuse for this when traffic can stay locally - and has for years on previous versions giving a great experience for TVs that are rarely used enough to justify a Joey, but have a fire stick on them. Whoever at Dish is in charge of the DA app needs a serious thump to the head - this new version is complete crap and offers no improvement whatsoever compared to previous versions and is a significant downgrade in multiple areas.

I'm going to assume you're watching on a 10' device - we are very aware of the low streaming quality and we're working on improvements as a top priority.
Thank you for the reply. Yes, the tablet originally in question is a 10" tablet.

If I can be a beta tester for any versions that potentially fix this, please let me know.

I’m not gonna hold my breath, for sure! I’ve heard “soon” for 20+ years. I’m having the same problems on my fire stk. starts out ar what looks like less than 480p and eventually works it’s way up to 720 trying for 1080. Plenty of buffering and skipping forward is a joke. Thanks for the upgrade DISH.

I will say that I fired up my fire stick in a hotel this morning, hadn't used it in a few weeks. There was an app update, and picture quality looks pretty good on it.

I was watching Comedy Central, and could not pause/rewind/fast forward though. Not sure why someone would restrict this - this taking away/downgrading has got to stop.

When going to a DVR program though, picture quality was noticeably worse and even after a few minutes was not great... SD at best. Fast forward did seem a bit more stable though.

Hopefully this info helps point the Dish team in the right direction.

Reactions: TheKrell
Well, it looks like crap today! It’s basically unwatchable for the first few minutes on any channel and then the pic gets better. Cannot believe they released something so poor!

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell