dish back to ota

ashutto20

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 6, 2008
United States
Long story short...

Moved in w mother in law...they had ota in 4 rooms

Got dish and was promised by installer that he would not mess up anything w the ota

Moved...went to hook back the ota...only one room works now and I have a duo node now and a splitter...

Please help...need to hook this back up asap

Worst case scenario...am I able to contact dish and will they fix this for more me since I was told wrong???

All you need is a diplexor at the source of your satellite and ota source. Plug sat cable into the sat side and ota into the tv or ota side.Run one cable to your house and then put diplexors on each tv and plut the diplexor in and turn the one cable into both sat and ota cables and you have both satellite and ota at each tv. I did this for years with my Vip series of receivers.

All you need is a diplexor at the source of your satellite and ota source. Plug sat cable into the sat side and ota into the tv or ota side.Run one cable to your house and then put diplexors on each tv and plut the diplexor in and turn the one cable into both sat and ota cables and you have both satellite and ota at each tv. I did this for years with my Vip series of receivers.

Thanks for the quick reply

I just moved so there is no satellite anymore and she doesnt want it back haha she is old school...she just wants to have ota back...

I kind of understand what you are sayung but then again I dont haha

Can I use the old dish cables left behind??? Im not sure what the installer did but i was under the impression I plug the cables back in to the splitter... run a channel search and the ota channels would be back

Please help

Thats the thing...it worked before...installer came and now I cant find where the ota wire is...

Can I use the old dish cables???

Are you saying there is no more Dish but you still want ota through a Dish receiver? Not going to happen. You must have an authorized Dish account/receiver for any ota to work through a Dish receiver. Her best bet is what the call lifeline cable. It's requires by the FCC but no one advertises it. For around $15/mo you get your locals via cable.

Dish is not going to come out and set you up for OTA.

Is there an outdoor antenna? If so, you can run coax from it, perhaps repurposing Dish coax, to a central distribution point. Put a 4 way distribution amplifier there, and run coax to each TV, perhaps reusing the coax left behind by Dish. You are going to have to trace cables to see what goes where. Each TV will need to have a digital (ATSC) tuner or be fed by a box that does.

Aiming that antenna is another matter. No Antenna? Where did she get her OTA from before Dish?

The node and likely the "splitter" will not be part of the new OTA setup. There are several ways of wiring this. Perhaps you have a knowledgeable friend who can help.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Last edited:
Schematics

Picture 2.jpg
See if this helps the standard instalation

Sorry I guess I was not clear in the beginning

My in laws have had ota since my wife and i dated... the antenna is already in place the wires are already ran and all they have known is ota...They have never...ever...ever had anything but ota

When we sold our house my mother in law was nice enough to let us move in while we built our new home and get dish... I just moved to my new home about 2 weeks ago now...

I used dish mover and took everything with me so she is wanting me to hook her ota set up back for her

I have the splitter and wires ran...but the now I can't find the ota antenna that was connected to the splitter...i asked the installer when he was hooking up dish at the inlaws about a year ago...if this would affect the ota they had already set up and i was assured it would not...now im about to go under the house and find the ota cable to plug in to the splitter to get it to the other tvs...I could not find it the last time i was under the house and thats why i asked if the installer would have used it/moved it....anything like that...any idea where it could be...

Everything worked fine for XX amount of years until i got dish..

Sorry for not being clear...thanks again for the help and responses from everyone

Is the antenna still there? Work back from there to see where the cable goes.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yes antenna is still there...I know one cable runs to living room...all I had to do was plug it into their converter box...its the other 3 rooms in the back of the house I have to figure out

I think I found what I needed...there is a very small 2 way splitter...not sure what else the splitter could be used for... I have to give my great late father in law credit...very well hidden wires and all

I hope this works haha

Ok got it working except for ch 3-1 and 3-2...it fades in and out...before it was perfect no fade outs...

Any idea as to why this is???

The one in the living room has very good signal

How many splitters are you using and what are they 2/3/4/8 way splitters each time you split the signal you weaken it.

There is a 2 way split and I am running a cord from that to another 2 way and connecting the 2 back bedrooms

When I go over there tomorrow I will eliminate that extra wire and see if that helps

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts