Dish Bill Going Up $42.00 in May?

Thats not how I remember it ...
I paid $ 99 till last year when it went to $119 and now another almost 20% ....
Can't wait till the year after for another 20% .... at what point do you say Enough is Enough.
Ok, let us not believe the link I provided ( and every other link I found said the same thing), I went into my order history, in 2018 I paid $99, in 2019-2021, I paid $119, in 2022 I paid $139, now go into your order history, punch in Amazon Prime and it will show you.
I do use it, but its gonna cost more than my Sat sub soon. :confused:
Hyperbole much?

You have posted before that your D+ bill is around $150 a month, that is $1800.00 a year, Prime is $139, a difference of $1661.00, I do not believe it will catch up anytime soon.
If it wasn't for the Prime Video, I would have dropped it already ...
I have it for the shipping, the video is just the extra.
A few weeks ago, I reordered something that I always get in 2-3 days .... after I ordered it, it showed deliver would be in 28 days. WTH.
Depends on the item, a lot of things are running late, I had a order in for some things that was not due to get here till August, came in yesterday to my surprise.

Last edited:
Ok, let us not believe the link I provided ( and every other link I found said the same thing), I went into my order history, in 2018 I paid $99, in 2019-2021, I paid $119, in 2022 I paid $139, now go into your order history, punch in Amazon Prime and it will show you.

Hyperbole much?

You have posted before that your D+ bill is around $150 a month, that is $1800.00 a year, Prime is $139, a difference of $1661.00, I do not believe it will catch up anytime soon.

Depends on the item, a lot of things are running late, I had a order in for some things that was not due to get here till August, came in yesterday to my surprise.
$139 and $150 is Very close for something like this, it's basically a half a year increase away.

Why does that surprise you? Deliveries of many/most things are delayed, and will only get worse.
Why will it get even worse, it should be getting better by now, not worse.

As far as I'm concerned, Amazon's main main reason for being there is Quick shipping, a few days vs most other places.

They have added other things to ease the cost, but shipping is what they are all about.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Hyperbole much?

So ... your OK with a 20% increase ????

Lets raise your Gas prices by another 20 %
Or maybe your TV services another 20 % ...

That is OK with you ?

NOTHING needs to go up 20% ...

Thats called GREED.

$11.58 p/m vs $12.50 p/m

Less than a dollar a month, most spend more than the difference on thier morning coffee DAILY.
Are you stating that you spend 12.50 a month on sat? If that is not what you are using in the comparison, can you clarify, because I am completely lost on the point you are making.

Reactions: dennispap

That is OK with you ?

Thats called GREED.
Have you looked at how much shipping costs have gone up either through rate changes or fuel surcharges?

Ok, since this is the first price increase in 4 years for Prime, think of it as a 5% increase every year ( and I know my math is not correct, trying to keep it simple).

That is OK with you ?

Thats called GREED.
Considering you have DirecTV which has gone up $5-8.00 per month every year since the last Prime increase, amazed you are not complaining with the same amount of passion about that.

Now simple math, I paid $119 in 2019 for Prime, that is less then a 17% increase to $139 in 2022.

Now, DirecTV, say if the monthly programing bill is $69 in 2019 and the bill went up $5, ($20 total ) in that same time frame (say paid $69 in 19, $74 in 20, $79 in 21, $84 in 22), that is, roughly, a 23% increase since 2019, that also does not include all the fee increases that DirecTV has had in the same time frame that would make make the percentage higher.

Jimbo, one of us is having a senior moment.
5DFC44F7-6D2C-4A05-A11E-FCB288011AB5.jpeg

Disappointingly, Amazon is going up every year as well .... $99. to $119. to $139. you say .... yikes.
$40 in 3 years is quite a lot.
Thats not how I remember it ...
I paid $ 99 till last year when it went to $119 and now another almost 20% ....
Can't wait till the year after for another 20% .... at what point do you say Enough is Enough.

I do use it, but its gonna cost more than my Sat sub soon. :confused:

If it wasn't for the Prime Video, I would have dropped it already ...

A few weeks ago, I reordered something that I always get in 2-3 days .... after I ordered it, it showed deliver would be in 28 days. WTH.

That is OK with you ?

Thats called GREED.

The price started at $79 in February of 2005 when the Prime program began. In 2006 Fulfilled by Prime was launched allowing other sellers to have stores selling merchandise that was warehoused and shipped by Amazon. In 2011 Prime Video was added to your benefits allowing free streaming of thousands of movies and tv shows. Amazon Locker was also added allowing secure delivery of your item to a locked location only accessible to you - think porch pirates. There are now thousands of lockers across the US. In 2014 the price increased to $99. That same year Prime Music, Amazon Photos, Lightning Deals and Prime Pantry were added to the list of membership benefits. They also introduced the Amazon Now app which offered two hour delivery in some areas with the option of one hour delivery in those areas for an additional $7.99 per order. In 2015 Amazon Prime Day was created to celebrate the company's 20th birthday. It became a yearly fixture. In 2016 Prime Reading was added allowing members free access to a rotating list of 1000 books. This benefit now includes audiobooks and magazines too. Also, same-day delivery was expanded to an additional 27 metro areas that year. In 2017 Amazon partnered with Chase to offer the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card allowing them to earn 5% back in rewards points on purchases. Prime Wardrobe was also added as a benefit that year allowing you the try up to eight items (now six) of clothes, shoes, jewelry and accessories for 7 days shipped to you free. Anything you kept was billed to your account and anything you did not want was able to be returned free via UPS using a prepaid shipping label. The Amazon Key service, offering secure delivery at your home, was also added that year and Amazon purchased Whole Foods offering discounts of up to 10% to Prime members. In 2018 the price increased to $119 per year. In 2019 free one day delivery was expanded to all members for over ten million items and the Amazon Fresh grocery delivery service was introduced. Subscribe and Save was also added that year offering up to a 20% discount for frequently purchased items. In 2020 the Prime Gaming benefit was added offering members free games, in-game loot and a free subscription to Twitch.tv. Amazon Pharmacy was also added that year offering members discounted prescriptions delivered to your home.

Bruce is correct. The price has not increased yearly as you stated and the price did not just increase because they felt like it. It increased because of the myriad of additional benefits they offer to members along with the usual increase in the cost of any company doing business. Fuel, infrastructure, additional workers, etc to support customer demand is costly. Personally, for what is offered, I believe Amazon has done decent job of keeping the membership cost at a reasonable level. You mentioned gas prices going up 20% and would we support it. My guess is yes, most would pay because they need the gas to live their daily lives. Would they be happy about it? Likely not. But then you are also only getting gas for that 20% increase. Did they deliver the gas to you? No. Did they wash your car while it was there? No. Did you get anything else at all for that extra 20% cost of gas. No. With an Amazon Prime membership you did. You seem very unhappy about the price increases for Prime membership. If so, you have a choice - a way to stick it to them - cancel your membership. I am keeping mine because I feel it is well worth it. As Forrest Gump said, "And that's all I have to say about that". Hope you have a great day Jimbo! :)

Last edited:
The price started at $79 in February of 2005 when the Prime program began. In 2006 Fulfilled by Prime was launched allowing other sellers to have stores selling merchandise that was warehoused and shipped by Amazon. In 2011 Prime Video was added to your benefits allowing free streaming of thousands of movies and tv shows. Amazon Locker was also added allowing secure delivery of your item to a locked location only accessible to you - think porch pirates. There are now thousands of lockers across the US. In 2014 the price increased to $99. That same year Prime Music, Amazon Photos, Lightning Deals and Prime Pantry were added to the list of membership benefits. They also introduced the Amazon Now app which offered two hour delivery in some areas with the option of one hour delivery in those areas for an additional $7.99 per order. In 2015 Amazon Prime Day was created to celebrate the company's 20th birthday. It became a yearly fixture. In 2016 Prime Reading was added allowing members free access to a rotating list of 1000 books. This benefit now includes audiobooks and magazines too. Also, same-day delivery was expanded to an additional 27 metro areas that year. In 2017 Amazon partnered with Chase to offer the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card allowing them to earn 5% back in rewards points on purchases. Prime Wardrobe was also added as a benefit that year allowing you the try up to eight items (now six) of clothes, shoes, jewelry and accessories for 7 days shipped to you free. Anything you kept was billed to your account and anything you did not want was able to be returned free via UPS using a prepaid shipping label. The Amazon Key service, offering secure delivery at your home, was also added that year and Amazon purchased Whole Foods offering discounts of up to 10% to Prime members. In 2018 the price increased to $119 per year. In 2019 free one day delivery was expanded to all members for over ten million items and the Amazon Fresh grocery delivery service was introduced. Subscribe and Save was also added that year offering up to a 20% discount for frequently purchased items. In 2020 the Prime Gaming benefit was added offering members free games, in-game loot and a free subscription to Twitch.tv. Amazon Pharmacy was also added that year offering members discounted prescriptions delivered to your home.

Bruce is correct. The price has not increased yearly as you stated and the price did not just increase because they felt like it. It increased because of the myriad of additional benefits they offer to members along with the usual increase in the cost of any company doing business. Fuel, infrastructure, additional workers, etc to support customer demand is costly. Personally, for what is offered, I believe Amazon has done decent job of keeping the membership cost at a reasonable level. You mentioned gas prices going up 20% and would we support it. My guess is yes, most would pay because they need the gas to live their daily lives. Would they be happy about it? Likely not. But then you are also only getting gas for that 20% increase. Did they deliver the gas to you? No. Did they wash your car while it was there? No. Did you get anything else at all for that extra 20% cost of gas. No. With an Amazon Prime membership you did. You seem very unhappy about the price increases for Prime membership. If so, you have a choice - a way to stick it to them - cancel your membership. I am keeping mine because I feel it is well worth it. As Forrest Gump said, "And that's all I have to say about that". Hope you have a great day! :)
And you use all that ?

I haven't even heard of a lot of it.

Fwiw, I never said I wasn't going to keep it, just that I think its getting up there in cost.
I don't like the cost of everything going up so much ....
You know damn well its not going to come back down once things settle down.

Btw, None of this has anything to do with DISH ...

And you use all that ?

No, but I use enough of it to justify my cost.

I haven't even heard of a lot of it.

Well, no wonder you think you are not getting your money's worth with membership! :D

Fwiw, I never said I wasn't going to keep it, just that I think its getting up there in cost.
I don't like the cost of everything going up so much ....
You know damn well its not going to come back down once things settle down.

Glad you are keeping it if that's your choice. I hate rising costs too - that we can agree on - but if I am getting something more for that cost then I can live with it.

Btw, None of this has anything to do with DISH ...

Just comparing your paid entertainment source (overpriced IMHO) with mine, which includes many additional benefits for a much lower price. Fair game. :)

Last edited:
Gas has had a 40% increase from January 2021 to January 2022 and Diesel is even worse. Amazon has given a wage increase to their workers. The minimum starting wage is $15 per hour with many areas earning a minimum of $18 per hour. Amazon also offers many benefits such as family leave and excellent health benefits. So it doesn’t shock me that they had to raise the cost of Amazon Prime. I use it for the free shipping, movies, photo storage, and music. I still consider it a good bargain.

Gas has had a 40% increase from January 2021 to January 2022 and Diesel is even worse. Amazon has given a wage increase to their workers. The minimum starting wage is $15 per hour with many areas earning a minimum of $18 per hour. Amazon also offers many benefits such as family leave and excellent health benefits. So it doesn’t shock me that they had to raise the cost of Amazon Prime. I use it for the free shipping, movies, photo storage, and music. I still consider it a good bargain.
Gas where I live went up 10% in just a day. That works to about 3650% annual interest rate. That means gas will cost over $150 a gallon next year. The math is rock solid!

Admittedly, this has absolutely nothing to do with Dish.

Then why is it everyone I talk to that works there hate it ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts