Dish Blockbuster purchase...thoughts?

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
So, as a longtime happy (mostly ;)) Dish sub, and also now currently a pleased Blockbuster-by-Mail sub, I'm wondering what the new union of the two services/companies will bring.

The usefulness of both the studio content deals AND the brick-and-mortar locations seems promising, as does the beginnings of a streaming model that, combined w/ Sling etc (think SlingPlayer apps on your smartphone/laptop etc) could create a 'best of breed' synthesis of media consumption models, if done right.

I know, personally, that I rarely now do any VOD purchasing, as the value proposition just isn't there: not as good PQ as disc, 24hr viewing window, no extras. I understand convenience--but not at the sacrifice of quality AND value. RedBox is the real threat to all these traditional models--$1 DVD/$1.50 BR is tough to beat, but the selection is very poor and almost nonexistent for catalog titles.

I'm a movie lover. I love my home theater. Dish has a solid history of bringing value to both entry-level and top-tier customers, something the rental market is struggling with (even NetFlix charges more for HD, and is strong-arming now to push people away from full-featured disc rentals, and they're the 'consumers friend' right?)...so what could Dish/BB (DishBuster?) offer that no-one else does? I had an interesting discussion w/ the manager of my local BB store, and he was hopeful that Dish was going to do something smart w/ the stores, not brash and short-sighted. He reasoned, as I did, that folks might be ready to have both convenience AND the quality/breadth of experience that real movie fans want. You don't get the kind of customer service, personal discovery and peerless PQ/extras you get w/ disc/video stores and staff at RedBox kiosks or a simple webpage.

I also think some smart retail opportunities are there--think, stream it (or watch the VOD, even view it on a premium w/ a 'click to buy' etc), like it, pick up the disc at the local store less your rental cost etc. Such new models might make everyone happy: the consumer, Dish, Hollywood, everyone.

I think, as real enthusiasts, the crowd here probably has some good ideas on what they could/should be up to...

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Here's an idea they might come up with: Sign up for Dish Network and get unlimited DVD/Blu-ray rentals free for, let's say, 6 months. (preferably 1 year, but more realistically, for only 3 months instead.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)