Echostar FCC 86.5W LIL HD filing

86.5 is somewhat of an orphan location. I suppose they could come up with a dish that puts it on EA. The EAXL dish! Given that 77 points down and now 86.5 points down, I wonder how many Southern markets that they need to fill?

quick photo of the contours.

The green EIRP is 49 dBw which is probably on the edge for standard antenna. Inner contours probably will have good coverage.

The beam is shifted south to avoid interference with priority Canadian satellites

Attachments

• E4 86.5.jpg
    E4 86.5.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 575
86.5 is somewhat of an orphan location. I suppose they could come up with a dish that puts it on EA.
Hmmm. I think a D500 for 77 and 86.5 would work. Perhaps they intend to have Eastern Arc (61.5, 72.7), Western Arc, and Midwest Arc (77, 86.5). ;)

Hmmm. I think a D500 for 77 and 86.5 would work. Perhaps they intend to have Eastern Arc (61.5, 72.7), Western Arc, and Midwest Arc (77, 86.5). ;)

They would not have enough capacity, plus 77 and 86.5 both have to point South. I am inclined to think it is a backup plan in case something happens to delay the launch of the new spot beam for 77 or 61.5 and they will have trouble meeting the carry all in HD for EA.

They would not have enough capacity, plus 77 and 86.5 both have to point South. I am inclined to think it is a backup plan in case something happens to delay the launch of the new spot beam for 77 or 61.5 and they will have trouble meeting the carry all in HD for EA.

The Canadian interference problem essentially limits the use of 86.5W to local into local southern conus service.

I'd speculate they will it for elder care of the older satellites. The slot provides good southern conus coverage for local into local and is a good way to maximize the productive life of the older satellites.

"EchoStar plans to operate the EchoStar 4 satellite in inclined orbit mode..."

I wonder how much inclination is planned? Too much and signals will be lost for most of the day.

The fact thta dish plans to use E-4 at 86.5 W in an inclined orbit and E-4's limited number of useable TPs, I would have to speculate that Dish is trying to alleviate the slot stacking issue that the FCC raised when they recently rejected a Dish application for another satellite slot. I believe it was for C-band. If Dish is truly interested in using 86.5 W in the not too distance future, they would move E-6 there.

It was correctly pointed out that Dish can only use 86.5 W for LIL for southern U.S. cities but if all the EA CONUS programming is put on 72.7 W, a D1000 size dish culd be used since they are only 13.8 degrees apart. I thought I remember that with their new satellite at 86.5 W, Dish was going to reverse the polarity to avoid Canadian DBS slot intereference.

I thought I remember that with their new satellite at 86.5 W, Dish was going to reverse the polarity to avoid Canadian DBS slot intereference.

I remember that also. But, moving it south must have eliminated the concern.

Left Circular Frequency assignments attached are standard

Attachments

• E4 86.5W Left Circular Channel Frequencies.pdf
    55.3 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Don't really understand the technical conversation here, but I live in Southwest Georgia and my local HDs are on the western arc (129) and are at a 30 degree elevation. Could this satellite be something they will use to move our locals to an eastern arc with a higher elevation, making it easier to get line of site for more locations?

I'm a nerd/geek but if this were a geek fight, you all would have whooped me all up/down... "extraction of the contour coverage"... "EIRP is 49 dBw"... "inclined orbit mode"... "Incline Excursion is listed as 6"...

If they put anything on there that I can't get in ATL market off 110, 119, 129. Y'all let me know. (The 'y'all' was to prove that I truly am Atlanta market!)

( - :

I imagine that Dish Network did not want to use reverse polarity because it would not allow them to use current lnb's that they already have and would make things even more complicated. They may want to put up a wing satellite for some or use a different adapter along with the same dish to bring in this additional satellite. They could have 72/77/86 or 61/72/77. 61 and 86 are the outer satellites so if they are dedicated to HD locals then everyone would still receive 72/77 which could be for all the main channels. Perhaps there is a reason why not to do this.

If they put anything on there that I can't get in ATL market off 110, 119, 129. Y'all let me know. (The 'y'all' was to prove that I truly am Atlanta market!)
Must be outside the perimeter, using a y'all inside of it is frowned upon now, either by the project folks or the buckhead elites. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)