DISH Bundles TV Service with ViaSat's Next-Gener?ation High-Speed Satellite Broadband

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
LAS VEGAS, NV -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 01/09/12 -- (NASDAQ: DISH) -- DISH Network L.L.C. and ViaSat Inc. (NASDAQ: VSAT) today announced the availability of next-generation satellite broadband service bundled with DISH's popular satellite television service. In February, DISH will launch its advanced satellite broadband packages with up to 12 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload speeds bundled with a variety of DISH TV programming packages.
The DISH broadband bundle includes:
Bundles starting at $79.98 per month
Up to12 Mbps download speeds
24/7 telephone tech support at no additional charge
Installation starting at $99
DISH's bundled video and broadband products offer consumers speed, value and excellent customer service with a single bill and one installation. The new bundled offer is a great alternative for the millions of American consumers, mostly rural, with limited broadband options.
"This is one more example of DISH meeting the needs of consumers," said DISH CEO Joe Clayton. "The market potential for this new Internet service is substantial given the nearly eight million to 10 million mostly rural American households that are unserved and millions more left with slower broadband alternatives."
ViaSat will provide the satellite delivery services enhanced by DISH billing, installation, customer service and merchandising.
For more information, visit www.dishnetwork.com/internet. Logos for DISH and ViaSat are available at DISH Network - Photo Library.
About DISH Network
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 13.945 million satellite TV customers, as of Sept. 30, 2011, with high quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.
About ViaSat
ViaSat delivers fast, secure communications, Internet, and remote network access to fixed sites or on-the-move. The company provides networking products and managed network services for enterprise IP applications; is a key supplier of network-centric military communications and encryption technologies and products to the U.S. and allied governments; is the primary technology partner for gateway and customer-premises equipment for consumer and mobile satellite broadband services; and offers high-speed Ka-band satellite broadband services. Based in Carlsbad, Calif., ViaSat has established a number of worldwide locations for customer service, network operations, and technology development.
Add to DiggBookmark with del.icio.usAdd to Newsvine
Media Contact:
DISH:
Aaron Johnson
(720) 514-5351
Email Contact

ViaSat:
Joe LoBello
(212) 986-6667
Email Contact

Source: DISH Network

And, they will also be adding tv/broadband bundles using the new Echostar/Hughes broadband satellite -Jupiter, when it goes into service later this year.

The only question is how big is the data cap? These 5-10 gig caps are pretty useless for home internet when you have a family.

package. but probably both package and #users. I went to the page www.dishnetwork.com/internet and checked it out for my area. My options were Clearwire or Uverse internet, with differing packages ranging from 3mbps to 12mbps.

The speeds sound awesome, but, "come on strong & die off quick". Could be the makings of a 2 pump chump? :eek:

ViaSat & WildBlue Launching $50, 12 Mbps Service Next Week - Though Company's Murky on Caps, Other Restrictions | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

The standalone service they are bundling with shows around a 7.5GB cap.

As we've noted previously there's the usual satellite catch: the service will not only be throttled, it will come with a usage cap ViaSat's being murky about (it looks to be around 7.5 GB), and may even include overage fees or the ability for users to buy additional buckets of bytes.

Obviously not for streaming Netflix....

And the "up to" wording with the "up to 12mbps" . So what is the throttle? number of users, package, etc?

Have you ever read any other internet service provider information? I challenge you to find one that does not say "up to" or something very similar.

More caps/prices info

More Details On ViaSat's New 12 Mbps 'Exede' Service - 7.5, 15 and 25 GB Monthly Usage Caps | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

According to ViaSat they're offering Exede in three flavors. $50 nets you a 7.5 GB monthly cap, $80 nets you a 15 GB monthly cap, and $130 will give you 25 GB of monthly usage. Despite very un-fiber-like usage limitations, ViaSat's insisting that their new service offers "feels like fiber" performance (perhaps "feels like desperation in the face of LTE" wasn't marketable).

I would guess alot of these numbers are going to change as they get their ducks in a row for the bundle. From things I've heard, cap is going to be gone or at least unattainable for the average end user.

As long as you do not stream video, 7.5GB is a hard amount of data to use. Even streaming audio will still fit in that limit. Satellite is just not the medium for video streaming.

Had my hopes on this until I read about the caps. You would think that Dish would want you to be able to use their Blockbuster programming on a regular basis without running into caps.

I was hoping to use this service where I park my RV and sling DVR'd stuff from home and watch there. Let's see- vaguely, maybe 2 or 3 HD programs and some surfing and I'm at my 7.5 cap? I can get maybe 3 BDs for $50 and come out ahead. I already have a tenuous, slow 3G connection there for a little surfing.

Nice to think they might eliminate the cap, but I just don't see it happening.

The data allowance is not anywhere near what they should be, which is sad, lots of high hopes for this but none at all now. The top 25 GB DAP should be assigned to the bottom $50 package and go up from there imo. Will stay with what I already have as I'm sure most others will also. I feel for those that have no clue and get suckered into this crap.

Had my hopes on this until I read about the caps.

Same here, but as mentioned, a plan like this would eliminate any type of video streaming.. Currently play $60/mo just for RR, and would like to get into some sort of a decent package deal. Cannot stand the equipment or pq of twc, so will not go that route. They have some killer deals though:

Time Warner Digital Cable
Time Warner Road Runner Basic (10 Mbs)
Time Warner Digital Phone
1 HD DVR box and 3 standard cable boxes
$79.99 fixed for 24 months- no contract

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts