HBO GO - I didn't know!

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
Putting this here because it's really meant to be more about Dish.
I just took for granted the providers who supported HBO GO allowed you to use Roku to access it. Not the case as I just found out. Apparently Direct TV does not. My friend who I told could watch on Roku kept telling me when he says he has Direct TV it does not support it. Thinking he was doing something wrong I went to his house and found indeed Direct does not allow you to use a Roku for this. Went online and sure enough, Direct TV does not allow it.
The picture quality, and ease of the Roku over having to use a computer is great for this, plus the ability to watch anywhere I happen to be. I am very happy Dish has decided to support the app on Roku. This is no small thing in our house, we watch or re-watch many HBO series. I can't get enough of "Deadwood!" We thought about dropping HBO to save money, at least for awhile, but being able to watch on Roku, wherever I am changed my mind. Good for Dish..

I think there was an article on this (and maybe a thread on it). I think the article said that Directv and Comcast didn't want to support the Roku app because they considered Roku as a competitior. I agree that Dish made the better choice by supporting it.

Neither HBOgo nor Maxgo are available on AppleTV. What's even more annoying is that I have the apps for both of them on my iPad2, and they work fine, but you can't "mirror" them on an AppleTV like you can with other video apps such as Crackle. I really think it's great that they give us these extra features, but I really don't want to watch a movie on my computer or iPad, so they're pretty useless for me if you can't get them on my TV.

Last edited:
So get a $59 Roku - problem solved. If it was important to me to be able to watch on my TV I would - and did. lol

Last edited:
how can that be if it has content you can't get on regular hbo. even ondemand still doesn't give you acess to full series like true blood or sopranos
Because those are two different services. On Demand is nothing like HBO GO they are delivered and available in totally different ways. HBO GO can have all series, movies, etc.. available all the time, every episode. On Demand can not. For people who like HBO and don't have HBO GO you don't know what you are missing.... :)

They look at it as possibly losing an extra receiver fee. I'm surprised that Dish, King of Fees, doesn't do the same.

Of course, they haven't enabled DRA for Google TV for that very reason.
I don't see that, you can't get HBO GO on a Dish,, Direct or Cable receiver. Direct TV does have HBO On Demand, which costs money, so in that respect they could see it as losing money but that has limited content compared to HBO GO. Much better deal for this with Dish - free and more content.

Putting this here because it's really meant to be more about Dish.
I just took for granted the providers who supported HBO GO allowed you to use Roku to access it. Not the case as I just found out. Apparently Direct TV does not. My friend who I told could watch on Roku kept telling me when he says he has Direct TV it does not support it. Thinking he was doing something wrong I went to his house and found indeed Direct does not allow you to use a Roku for this. Went online and sure enough, Direct TV does not allow it.
The picture quality, and ease of the Roku over having to use a computer is great for this, plus the ability to watch anywhere I happen to be. I am very happy Dish has decided to support the app on Roku. This is no small thing in our house, we watch or re-watch many HBO series. I can't get enough of "Deadwood!" We thought about dropping HBO to save money, at least for awhile, but being able to watch on Roku, wherever I am changed my mind. Good for Dish..
I THINK directv has it shut down for the ROKU..but works fine on the ipad app

I have been having fun with the Roku 2 XD box we bought in December. Its nice to have HBOGO and Epix on there for viewing. Hoping they add MAXGO soon. But I do have a question after reading through this thread. I thought HBOGO and Epix just checks with your provider as to you having a subscription to HBO and Epix respectively. Why would that be detrimental to Direct? It actually provides more incentives to have those subscriptions.

Because those are two different services. On Demand is nothing like HBO GO they are delivered and available in totally different ways. HBO GO can have all series, movies, etc.. available all the time, every episode. On Demand can not. For people who like HBO and don't have HBO GO you don't know what you are missing.... :)

VOD (Video on Demand) really is a misnomer...it should be renamed to VOA (Video on Availability). The only video truly on demand for me is the stuff I own/have recorded. :D

I have been having fun with the Roku 2 XD box we bought in December. Its nice to have HBOGO and Epix on there for viewing. Hoping they add MAXGO soon. But I do have a question after reading through this thread. I thought HBOGO and Epix just checks with your provider as to you having a subscription to HBO and Epix respectively. Why would that be detrimental to Direct? It actually provides more incentives to have those subscriptions.
Absolutely, makes no sense. File that under "shooting themselves in the foot."

I don't see that, you can't get HBO GO on a Dish,, Direct or Cable receiver. Direct TV does have HBO On Demand, which costs money, so in that respect they could see it as losing money but that has limited content compared to HBO GO. Much better deal for this with Dish - free and more content.
If you could watch HBO programming on your BR TV without needing an add'l receiver, you might just opt to do that.

The carriers don't want you to have non-receiver TV viewing capabilities. They lose control, and lose add'l fees. It's that simple.

Why else do you think DirecTV doesn't allow HBO Go via STB devices? And, why do you think Dish doesn't allow Dish Online or Dish Remote Access on the GTV? There is no technical reason for it. It is totally by their choice.

If you could watch HBO programming on your BR TV without needing an add'l receiver, you might just opt to do that.

The carriers don't want you to have non-receiver TV viewing capabilities. They lose control, and lose add'l fees. It's that simple.

Why else do you think DirecTV doesn't allow HBO Go via STB devices? And, why do you think Dish doesn't allow Dish Online or Dish Remote Access on the GTV? There is no technical reason for it. It is totally by their choice.

I'll tell you why else, and it's not really the reason you state. If HBO GO were enough to make someone get or keep another receiver it might be a partial reason, but I can't agree many care that much to make that kind of decision. They can watch HBO GO on a computer remember if they have Direct TV so I don't buy it. The reason is Direct TV doesn't want to lose the income from HBO on Demand. Because of the pricing structure Dish is using they don't have to worry about that much at all.
To watch it On Demand with Direct you have to pay each time. With Dish you pay $10 a month for alot more than just HBO offerings. Dish is smarter on this issue.

I'll tell you why else, and it's not really the reason you state. If HBO GO were enough to make someone get or keep another receiver it might be a partial reason, but I can't agree many care that much to make that kind of decision. They can watch HBO GO on a computer remember if they have Direct TV so I don't buy it. The reason is Direct TV doesn't want to lose the income from HBO on Demand. Because of the pricing structure Dish is using they don't have to worry about that much at all.
To watch it On Demand with Direct you have to pay each time. With Dish you pay $10 a month for alot more than just HBO offerings. Dish is smarter on this issue.
I don't get the logic you are using. Are you actually agreeing, even though you think you are disagreeing? Or, are you not understanding what I am saying?

BTW, does DirecTV really charge extra for HBO OnDemand? Dish doesn't. Cable doesn't. It just comes with the HBO subscription, as does HBO Go. But, if they do, it proves my point even more.

For any of you Roku guys and gals who may not have been aware, google "hidden Roku channels" and "private Roku channels" and you'll find a couple dozen more that you might not have known about?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)