DISH Bundles TV Service with ViaSat's Next-Gener?ation High-Speed Satellite Broadband

Pretty sure this viasat deal is the tip of the iceburg when it comes to DISH's hopes for nationwide internet bundeling opportunities. Stay tuned as Joe says. 2012 will be a ride I am sure.

Pretty sure this viasat deal is the tip of the iceburg when it comes to DISH's hopes for nationwide internet bundeling opportunities. Stay tuned as Joe says. 2012 will be a ride I am sure.

One can hope that's the case. For people with only dial-up or no broadband access, the sat internet bundle with decent bandwidth will be a godsend, even with latency.

My internet really sucks at times. Centurylink dsl up to 8 mbps, normally runs a little over 3 but for the last few weeks only around 2. The upside, it is unlimited. There are a couple of electric companies in my dma who have gotten into the fiber business. The prices are great & from what I hear the service is unbelievable. So far 2 electric companies are in the business & have been for a while, a 3rd is well on it's way. None are available to me, but am hopeful my electric provider will jump on the bandwagon.
While these are vast improvements for satellite internet it still has a looong way to go.
Check out some of the prices being offered on "ftth". No hype, no promotions, just the meat & potatoes. These areas are not metropolitan areas by no means, but small town America at it's best. These are the companies of the future & will be competition for satellite tv & internet. While they may not have millions of customers, they will have a huge influence locally.

BVU Authority

BTES :: Home

Power Board moves forward with telephone, Internet plans

I have NEVER seen an ad for internet that didn't include "up to" in it

Well here you go...an example.......
[h=1]Frontier High-Speed Internet[/h] [h=3]Your reliable connection to the Internet.[/h] Find out now if Frontier High-Speed Internet service is available in your area.
Not all speeds available in all areas.
Prices shown are contingent on a price protect plan and a $6.99/month modem fee.
[h=3]High-Speed Internet Max[/h] With Max speeds as high as 12 Mbps, get the reliability, security and ease of installation with Frontier's acclaimed customer service.
Package Details
$39.99

[h=3]High-Speed Internet Lite[/h] Provides download speeds up to 1 Mbps, 8 times faster than dialup.
Package Details
$32.99

Just took that off the Frontier site(my internet provider). And I pay the $39.99 and get 1.5 down.

Well here you go...an example.......
[h=1]Frontier High-Speed Internet[/h] [h=3]Your reliable connection to the Internet.[/h] Find out now if Frontier High-Speed Internet service is available in your area.
Prices shown are contingent on a price protect plan and a $6.99/month modem fee.
[h=3]High-Speed Internet Max[/h] With Max speeds as high as 12 Mbps, get the reliability, security and ease of installation with Frontier's acclaimed customer service.
Package Details
$39.99

[h=3]High-Speed Internet Lite[/h] Provides download speeds up to 1 Mbps, 8 times faster than dialup.
Package Details
$32.99

Just took that off the Frontier site(my internet provider). And I pay the $39.99 and get 1.5 down.

The price here is 36.99 for Frontier DSL plus their 6.99 fee that they make everybody pay whether you own your own modem or lease theirs so in actuality it's 43.98 per month for the high speed max.

I am surprised that Dish Network is selling WildBlue since Echostar owns Hughesnet. Perhaps this will change when Hughesnet rolls out their new higher speed service later this year?

....you folks do understand that Satellite Internet has a built-in 600+ ms latency....so when you click.....you may be waiting....a while....for anything to start downloading.

Check this site to see if you have a wireless ISP in your area:
https://netforum.avectra.com/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?Site=WISPA&WebCode=OrgSearch

Agreed. That is why I have DSL, not satellite broadband anymore. Wireless ISP (also called WISP) is a better alternative to satellite broadband when you have good service from them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)