DISH Buying TIVO?

This is one of the most interesting threads I have read in a long time. I am hoping for everything good all around. Improvement in all areas.

He means dead, gone, and forgotten......unless you're Amish, of course. ;)

The buggy whip industry as a major economic entity ceased to exist with the introduction of the automobile, and is cited in economics and marketing as an example of an industry ceasing to exist because its market niche, and the need for its product, disappears. In discussing market regulation, it is often held that the economy would be disadvantaged as a whole if the automobile had been banned to protect the buggy-whip industry.

You mean I can't buy a buggy whip today? ;)

I knew it! I knew it! Didn't I say that somewhere here?

With the TiVo GUI and the DISH Picture this could be great. Ooooo! A new and accurate Guide.

Now the DVR fees. Since DISH will be paying themselves, ya think that they will go away. And no more supporting Charlie's law suits. This could be really nice. Unless they decide since the fees are already there just to leave them. That would not be good.

AND with everyone else paying TiVo royalties, that would then be to DISH. Could we see an influx of revenue that could lower our fees?

Last edited:
I knew it! I knew it! Didn't I say that somewhere here?

With the TiVo GUI and the DISH Picture this could be great. Ooooo! A new and accurate Guide.

Now the DVR fees. Since DISH will be paying themselves, ya think that they will go away. And no more supporting Charlie's law suits. This could be really nice. Unless they decide since the fees are already there just to leave them. That would not be good.

No. I do NOT want my Dish DVR infected with that tivo garbage in any way, shape or form. And the guide info all comes from the same place. tivo and Dish both get it from the Tribune company.

No. I do NOT want my Dish DVR infected with that tivo garbage in any way, shape or form. And the guide info all comes from the same place. tivo and Dish both get it from the Tribune company.

DISH needs to update their juvenile-old school GUI. From what I hear that's what they did with the 922. Hopefully it will trickle down to the rest of the boxes.

AND what same place does the Guide info come from? There are many places that this info can be had from. But the one that DISH uses now is the worst of the bunch, Zap2It. I have been tracking this for several years.

DISH needs to update their juvenile-old school GUI. From what I hear that's what they did with the 922. Hopefully it will trickle down to the rest of the boxes.

The GUI is fast, functional and logically laid out. Unlike tivo. The 922 does have a very pretty guide though, and I'm anxious to get ahold of one.

AND what same place does the Guide info come from? There are many places that this info can be had from. But the one that DISH uses now is the worst of the bunch, Zap2It. I have been tracking this for several years.

Read my post again. I stated where it comes from. The Tribune Company.

. . . it comes from. The Tribune Company.

Tribune = Zap2It the worst of the programming providers. If only they got it from TVGuide like the logo on the page would infer. But that is only there for visual info presentation copyright purposes.

The new 922 GUI would be great. Fingers crossed that we get it. Or at least something like it. And if DISH buys TiVo that would make it easier to migrate new GUI's like that across all of their holdings without the fear of infringement.

TIVO's better

And you think TIVO's GUI is better? :eek:

And you think TIVO's GUI is better? :eek:

Oh yeah. :cool: I think it's better than the blind you in the face screens, circa 1980's shadows and buttons that we have now with DISH. TiVo's darker more contemporary mature colors are so much easier on the eye. Especially in a darkened room. The buttons, error panels and the like look to be a part of the art of the unit and not an after thought. TV being a projected/light based format needs to have darker less harsh backgrounds and the state of graphic art in 2010 is leaps and bounds beyond what I'm seeing on my 722 and 625. I was hired to revised this for DISH years ago and they did not go through with it. Sighting some huge renovation of the whole thing that never happened. I'm not saying the TiVo interface verbatim, but along those lines and more contemporary. But the bottom line if the buyout happens, is that DISH will not have to look over their shoulder anymore when doing this, which just might open up some creativity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts