Dish came out to check my new installation

paulinespens

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
KY
After being with Dish then changing to Directv then going back to Dish again as Directv could not get line of sight I had a new installation as ordered via dishstore.net.

On Monday I had a supervisor come to my house to check the installtion. Is this normal? He just shown up without an appointment.

It's a "quality" audit. Not uncommon.... Without an appointment, what if the dish or switch or ground block were in areas he couldn't access ? Not your concern, of course, but it might make more sense for them to actually call and say "I'm with the quality control dept at Dish and we'd were wanting to do a random check... is there a time you're available ?".

If install was done by a Dish Network employee, they alway check within a couple of days, does not happen when subcontractor is used.

totally untrue

dish in-house is not always checked at all....last i heard the target was 10% but i have no idea if that is still accurate today.

also subcontractors jobs are checked just as frequently as in house. in some areas they can even be inspected more frequently depending on management for the area.

When I had my 1000.4 EA dish set up, I was told before the install that the work would be checked due to Dish Employee's doing the job. The job was set up, my dish and all my sd receivers were switched over to mpeg4. Might have been due to that particular switch over. Also, I had to talk to tech service due to the complexity of my install and was told the work would be checked by them as well due to work being done by Dish employees. Not sure why I would be told the same thing by two different departments, but I was.

All dish employees have to be "qased" quality assurance twice a month.. It is mandatory.. That is from there FSM.. Then there is the qas guy that just goes around and does them randomly. His goal is 40% dish employees and 60% subcontractor.. He usually does 4 to 6 a day.. They do not make appointments for them.. If they are not home they just move to the next one.. They don't go on your property with out your permission..

like GOKARTERGO mention..its part of dish network QAS tech, who comes out to check the quality of the install...he usually drops by after a tech is done with his job...he takes pictures and has a check list to make sure the install was done to DishNetwork standards...if it was not done the right way then that tech gets a FAILED QAS....

All dish employees have to be "qased" quality assurance twice a month.. It is mandatory.. That is from there FSM.. Then there is the qas guy that just goes around and does them randomly. His goal is 40% dish employees and 60% subcontractor.. He usually does 4 to 6 a day.. They do not make appointments for them.. If they are not home they just move to the next one.. They don't go on your property with out your permission..

This isn't totally correct. The FSM has to do 2 JSSI's (Job Site Safety Inspections) twice a month, NOT Qas's. They have been known to QAS a job, but it isn't their only reason for site visits. QAS inspections MUST be made by appointment with the customer. If there is a QAS guy on your property and he DIDN'T call you to set up a convienient time for you, I would ask him to leave. Things are getting pretty strange in the QAS department these days. QAS is being bombarded with a never ending list of things to check, even though some of them are downright ridiculous. For example, Don't put the little stickers on the battery cover of the remote? Instant Fail!! Have the stickers on the battery cover of the remote, but don't have them both facing the same direction? Instant Fail!! Don't ground the job? Point deduction, NOT an instant fail. Go Figure!

If install was done by a Dish Network employee, they alway check within a couple of days, does not happen when subcontractor is used.

If you believe that, I have some good land to sell you down in the Everglades. Our 'friendly' QAS has been quoted as saying, they are not required to QAS in-house jobs, but of the subcontractor jobs they QC, they have to fail a minimum of 40% each month. If he cannot find something obvious outside, say a Digicon fitting, or unapproved cable, he will dig deeper to find an unapproved barrel in the line or wallplate, or a crimp-on fitting behind the wall plate. He will even fail a job if the instruction manual is left laying on top of the rcvr, citing Dish's specifications that 3" of clearance is necessary on all sides of the rcvr. (Even though 722k rcvrs have no air vents on top of them) The QAS team has become a money-generating sector of Dish's total revenue. Every job that can be installed without having to pay a dime for it, results in profits for Dish. We've seen QAS teams in our area increase dramatically over the last year. Even to the point where when in-house techs have light work, their FSM's instruct them to QC subcontractor jobs.

'Quality' has very little to do with the visit. The overwhelming majority of techs doing this work are doing great, quality work. But when your QAS fails a guys job because stickers on the remote are not straight or both turned the same way, that's very sad. Dish will not pay the contractor for the job, and in turn the contractor will not pay the subcontractor/technician who did the job. So a tech will spend hours of time and lots of materials to complete your job, only for Dish to come behind him and say, "your stickers are crooked, we're not paying". "the center conductor is sticking out of the end of fitting the width of two nickels, not one nickel, we're not paying" and on and on. Our guys have failed install after install after install for the most menial issues. And out of 60 failed installations from March of this year, 2 have come back as trouble calls after 60 days due to customer's children changing tv channel and a bad rcvr. But according to Dish's quality standards, all 60 of those jobs were substandard and in immediate danger of causing service interruptions for the customers. It all sounds like a shakedown to me.

Last edited:
My FSM got chewed out because he was PASSING to many qas's. Like he told me.. It is not right.. Most of us do a good job.. Yet he gets in trouble for passing us..

Jimmerinwi said:
This isn't totally correct. The FSM has to do 2 JSSI's (Job Site Safety Inspections) twice a month, NOT Qas's. They have been known to QAS a job, but it isn't their only reason for site visits. QAS inspections MUST be made by appointment with the customer. If there is a QAS guy on your property and he DIDN'T call you to set up a convienient time for you, I would ask him to leave. Things are getting pretty strange in the QAS department these days. QAS is being bombarded with a never ending list of things to check, even though some of them are downright ridiculous. For example, Don't put the little stickers on the battery cover of the remote? Instant Fail!! Have the stickers on the battery cover of the remote, but don't have them both facing the same direction? Instant Fail!! Don't ground the job? Point deduction, NOT an instant fail. Go Figure!

Must be somewhat different for each office. Cuz i get qas'd by my FSM same day DURING the install as well as a job site safety inspection (jssi). Once a week!!

Its highly annoying to be in the middle of a 2 hour job and he shows to do his routine and it tends to slow me down, and asks about stickers and the like before i'm ready to do it.

It is nice, however, when he takes time to figure how to lay out the connectivity for me, especially when a phonex wont work properly.

I had a D510 replaced with a ViP211k about 2 years ago and they sent a QA guy around to look at my setup.

Even though the tech didn't even look at my dish (all he did was swap the receivers), the Dish QA guy made them come out and put a grounding block between my D1000 and my DP44 switch, because the DP44 was no longer considered a proper ground.

About an hours work essentially rewiring everything from the switch back to the dish and it had NOTHING to do with the work order.

He did swing my D500 from 148 to 61.5, so I tipped him $10.

After being with Dish then changing to Directv then going back to Dish again as Directv could not get line of sight I had a new installation as ordered via dishstore.net.

On Monday I had a supervisor come to my house to check the installtion. Is this normal? He just shown up without an appointment.

Yes. I had some random guys come to my place not long after my install, I figured it was because I had to call DISH and get them out to fix my signal strength on 110. The original dish installers installed my dish under a huge tree which made my 110 signal too weak (in the 40s on all TPs.) I called them out and they trimmed the tree so I figured that's why the random guys came back to make sure signal strength was okay.

They also put a bunch of stickers on my remotes and receivers about some special number to call, but I always used 333-DISH and now that DIRT is around who needs a phone # :D ? So I peeled the stickers off of the remotes 'cause they were annoying. Plus they faded really quickly.

The tree has since grown back and my 110 is back to being mediocre but from what I understand trees are my responsibility so I'm gonna eventually go up there and hope I don't kill myself (20-foot drop.) I just wish the installers would have chosen somewhere else, because I have LOS in a few other areas that aren't blocked by trees.

Even though the tech didn't even look at my dish (all he did was swap the receivers), the Dish QA guy made them come out and put a grounding block between my D1000 and my DP44 switch, because the DP44 was no longer considered a proper ground.
Based on comments from installers who frequent this site, any time a tech visits your house, no matter what for, it appears that they are "obligated" to make the entire installation 100% up to standards. So, a "receiver swap" isn't just a receiver swap. Another issue is, if all that tech did was swap receivers and two weeks later, the LNB died, it would be his "problem" (the tech who swapped receivers). Makes perfect sense, huh ? :(

They also put a bunch of stickers on my remotes and receivers about some special number to call, but I always used 333-DISH...
The "special number" is the local installation office's number. They want you to call them first so they can handle any issues, otherwise if you call Dish directly, the installer or installation company gets negative marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts