Dish can’t even get the remote right..

pc5000

Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I have upgraded my Dish to HD recently. But their remote Dish Pro 6.3 can’t even operate a DVD with menus. I’ve programmed the remote for my DVD and it has some basic functionality (play, stop), it can also move left or right on the DVD menus but not up or down on the DVD menus. Isn’t it time that Dish realize that many people have upgraded their VCRs to DVDs and would like the remote to work with DVDs not just VCRs? I don’t have much faith in Dish programmers working on HD if they can’t even upgrade the remote. Unless I am doing something wrong and somebody can help me here.:(

I have upgraded my Dish to HD recently. But their remote Dish Pro 6.3 can’t even operate a DVD with menus. I’ve programmed the remote for my DVD and it has some basic functionality (play, stop), it can also move left or right on the DVD menus but not up or down on the DVD menus. Isn’t it time that Dish realize that many people have upgraded their VCRs to DVDs and would like the remote to work with DVDs not just VCRs? I don’t have much faith in Dish programmers working on HD if they can’t even upgrade the remote. Unless I am doing something wrong and somebody can help me here.:(

Please call your mother to cancell Dish at once. They are not worthy of you. They suck because their remote wont work perfect with your DVD player. They are the worst and suck at HD because of it.

Yeah Man, I think im goona cancel Dish thanks to you.

I believe those Dish remotes have won design awards. But they are not universal learning remotes and cannot pre-program all current AV devices, much less know what the future brings.

I've never bought an AV device with the ability to control many devices, that ever worked with all I had. Not even when the devices were all from the same company.

Many of us buy universal remotes for our systems. The Harmony 880 is quite popular.

Well, you better sell your TV. Its' remote won't control your Dish receiver. I suppose you want the Dish remote to open your garage door, too? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I understand that this remote won’t work for all DVDs but I am curious if it works with menus on any DVD player. I expected some morons to post that I should cancel Dish or call my mom but I was hoping that some normal person will post that Dish remote works with his\her DVD player menus. Just curious since I am software engineer by trade.

Sorry you were bombarded here. There are some real jerks floating around this site.
Same people like to insult and pick fights.

Just ignor them. There are some good people around here though. Im sure they will give you a straight answer.

Hang in there!

I understand that this remote won’t work for all DVDs but I am curious if it works with menus on any DVD player. I expected some morons to post that I should cancel Dish or call my mom but I was hoping that some normal person will post that Dish remote works with his\her DVD player menus. Just curious since I am software engineer by trade.
If it does not fully operate your DVD, then, there you go. Mine doesn't. There's nothing you can do to teach it. Like said before, use the DVD remote. I don't know why you feel you have to lack confidence in Dish programmers (regarding HD...come on!) They are not obligated to make any peripheral operate 100%. Not their job.

Last edited:

Some models/manufacturers equip work better than others with Dish's remotes. Is there more than one code listed for your particular manufacturer in the DVD player list? If so, have you tried them all? I know I've seen some equipment that the first listed code would do some stuff but not all, but then trying another listed code would find one that did many more functions than the first I tried. But then again, I also have a Westinghouse TV that does not work at all with any Dish remote I've had, even trying all Westinghouse codes for each of them.

Like another poster suggested above...if you want a true universal remote with learning functions, take a look a the Harmony 880 by Logitech. Awesome remote! :up

Like the others said here the Dish remotes can't control all other devices but you should go over to Amazon or E-Bay and search for any Hormony remote I have the harmony 880 and it works just great. You program it over the internet and the haromany site has over 4000 codes for various devices. After you have all your stuff set up the site downloads the info to your remote and all is good to go.
The harmony remote can also control devices like fans ect which have ir remotes.

Man my TV doesn't even control my dvd player right either. I'm stating to wonder if they are really that competent in making TV's.

ANSWER:

Use the page up and down buttons to operate the UP AND DOWN arrows on your DVD player. See - the up and down arrows on the 4 way pad are actually the CHANNEL UP AND DOWN, and the opposite to them is the page up and down buttons.

I know is confusing. I came from Directv and there remotes have septate Vol up/down, ch up/down, and Arrow up/down. On dish, the channel up and down is reversed.

Hope that helped!

(also, your lucky, the only thing that works with my dish remote is my TV and the VCR that I never use. My DVD player and surround sound don't work at ALL with the dish remote. So I have about 5 remotes to control my system because I'm too cheap to buy one of those Harmony ones that does everything.)

EDIT: also may I add - I still question why dish prints the word VCR on the mode button. Why can't they change it to DVD, or to make everyone happy, change them all to SAT, TV, AUX1, AUX2. That would cover up for the future when someone like me complains and says why dosn't the button say BLU-RAY or something else.

Last edited:

If that is what you wanted to ask that that is what you should have asked. How would you have responded if I came into a discussion board about your software and said that you and all your co-workers were obviously morons because some insignificant piece of code that you licensed from another vendor didn't work in every single possible situation. Then said that obviously anything your company released must be crap because of this one small thing? I have a feeling the response would have been fairly irate, as some of the responses here have been. If you want the functionality of a $100 remote, don't expect it to come free with your free receiver. Go pay $100 for one. For the cost of a dish remote it works with an amazingly large number of pieces of equipment. Well on par with any other remote you could purchase for the same price at your local radio shack. And please keep in mind that if you want constructive answers on this board, you need to ask constructive questions, not come in attacking everyone. It's human nature when attacked to become defensive.

I know how you feel: Freaking remotes won't even lock/unlock my car doors, turn on/off the lights and ceiling fans, feed and water the dog, or turn my wife off when I'm not in the mood and vice-versa.

Bastards!! Heads need to roll at Dish!:up

perhaps if you didnt buy the cheapest dvd player k-mart had to offer... i have complete control of my sony dvd player with my dish remote.

Yesterday I had an upgrade from 811's to 211's. The customer had two very expensive universal remotes that didn't work well at all. The "free" dish remotes worked much better.

Perhaps you didn't know how to use it.

I haven't used an OEM remote in years. And I would not dare complain if it has trouble controlling anything other than the satellite box and maybe your TV. It's not a universal remote. It's an OEM remote with basic universal capability. You'll find the remotes that come packaged with most equipment are the same.

If you really want do do it well, get a learning remote. That's the only thing that is reliable.

these remotes are still way better than D's. I have both services and the remotes for D are clunky and not well organized. the E remotes to me are one of the best next to my harmony remote and the ones that will be coming out look really great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts