Dish Class Action Law Suit?

Chavez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Milky Way
My in-laws received a post card from "Dish Settlement Claims Adjustment" about joining a class action law suit. Parker vs. Dish Network. Anyone know about this or if it is legit?

[Maybe you can figure this out.

justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/california/candce/4:2011cv01457/238731/34/

Too bad this was not extended to the Federal Court and made to include all subscribers, but, given the successful outcome of Colorado, it may not be too late for everyone else to get together and go after Dish!

I have been in a PM with Mary of the DIRT team and it turns out that when they added "blockbuster@home" service it became a $10.00 fee because they, once again, EXORCISED the customer's rights under the terms of the Dish contract and did away with HD for life, adjusted the packages so they would not affect current customers, and rolled several channels into the "blockbuster@home" package.

If you look closely at your bill on the new Dish site, you will see a $10.00 per month charge for "blockbuster@home". If you DELETE that charge, by deleting the "blockbuster@home" service you delete not only the ability to receive up to one DVD at a time from Blockbuster, of which we have ZERO interest in participating, but also remove the following channels from your HD lineup.

Here's a sample 2011 billing statement:

Statement Detail
Previous Statement Balance $ 154.99
Aug 05 Payment - Thank You -154.99
Balance Due: $ 0.00

Monthly Charges
Aug 29 - Sep 28 America's Everything Pak 104.99
Aug 29 - Sep 28 Dish Platinum 10.00
Aug 29 - Sep 28 DVR Service 6.00
Aug 29 - Sep 28 HD 250 Free 0.00
Aug 29 - Sep 28 HD Duo (2TV) DVR Receiver 17.00
Total: $ 154.99

When a family member went into the account and activate the Blockbuster@home account, I immediately disabled it and terminated the service.

That shut down all of the channels in the matrix below as well:

ChannelChart.png

After discussing it with our family members, and admonishing the individual who activated the Blockbusted account, we have decided to leave the package off the service.

While we will miss the EPIX and Sundance channels, we will not miss the other, very laden with commercials channels, and save $120.00 per year on our budget.

Sundance was downright aggravating to watch anyway, because, even though it is available in HD, is not yet in HD on Dish.

Seems to me like Charlie and the others at Dish need to take a good look at how they are going about screwing their subscribers because every time they talk about acquiring another business group, they end up costing the subscribers more money.

Mary's response, and I am certain this is a canned response on the part of Dish, was:

"I do appreciate you feed back and I will do my best along your thoughts. We do not wish to lose you after over 14 years of being your Pay-Tv provider but I do understand times are tough and every family has to make decisions about what is important to them.

DISH tried to add additional value to a package you were already receiving, to increase your viewing options.

You are not forced to activate those add-ons but DISH Network is committed to keeping up with the way American's watch TV.

Most yong [sic] people today do not watch on a TV but on a computer or mobile device and DISH Network is staying competitive in this growing market.

I wish you and your family the best in what ever the future holds for you!

Have a great day!"

1. We have no desire to rent DVDs. We never have and never will.

2. We do not watch content over IP.

3. I did not activate anything. A family member activated a blockbusted membership which was included in the Dish package. when I cancelled it, it also cancelled a bunch of programming we had been receiving for 14 years. There should have been a warning on the Dish site that the programming would be deleted with the blockbusted at home DVD option.

Charlie, et al, you need to seriously review how you go about screwing your customers because while we are in a position where we certainly can afford the $120.00 per year, we have now opted NOT to pay that money and put it into our retirement account. Your loss, our gain.

I'm so tired of hearing the words "screwed" and "cheated" and "greed." Really. Get a grip.

One thing I know with absolute certainty is: In these class action suits, the lawyers never lose. And if they "win" in court, they get richer. And the participants get peanuts. Over and over and over again. And it's undermining our country.

Too bad this was not extended to the Federal Court and made to include all subscribers, but, given the successful outcome of Colorado, it may not be too late for everyone else to get together and go after Dish!

I have been in a PM with Mary of the DIRT team and it turns out that when they added "blockbuster@home" service it became a $10.00 fee because they, once again, EXORCISED the customer's rights under the terms of the Dish contract and did away with HD for life, adjusted the packages so they would not affect current customers, and rolled several channels into the "blockbuster@home" package.

If you look closely at your bill on the new Dish site, you will see a $10.00 per month charge for "blockbuster@home". If you DELETE that charge, by deleting the "blockbuster@home" service you delete not only the ability to receive up to one DVD at a time from Blockbuster, of which we have ZERO interest in participating, but also remove the following channels from your HD lineup.

Here's a sample 2011 billing statement:

Statement Detail
Previous Statement Balance $ 154.99
Aug 05 Payment - Thank You -154.99
Balance Due: $ 0.00

Monthly Charges
Aug 29 - Sep 28 America's Everything Pak 104.99
Aug 29 - Sep 28 Dish Platinum 10.00
Aug 29 - Sep 28 DVR Service 6.00
Aug 29 - Sep 28 HD 250 Free 0.00
Total: $ 154.99

When a family member went into the account and activate the Blockbuster@home account, I immediately disabled it and terminated the service.

That shut down all of the channels in the matrix below as well:

ChannelChart.png

After discussing it with our family members, and admonishing the individual who activated the Blockbusted account, we have decided to leave the package off the service.

While we will miss the EPIX and Sundance channels, we will not miss the other, very laden with commercials channels, and save $120.00 per year on our budget.

Sundance was downright aggravating to watch anyway, because, even though it is available in HD, is not yet in HD on Dish.

Seems to me like Charlie and the others at Dish need to take a good look at how they are going about screwing their subscribers because every time they talk about acquiring another business group, they end up costing the subscribers more money.

Mary's response, and I am certain this is a canned response on the part of Dish, was:

"I do appreciate you feed back and I will do my best along your thoughts. We do not wish to lose you after over 14 years of being your Pay-Tv provider but I do understand times are tough and every family has to make decisions about what is important to them.

DISH tried to add additional value to a package you were already receiving, to increase your viewing options.

You are not forced to activate those add-ons but DISH Network is committed to keeping up with the way American's watch TV.

Most yong [sic] people today do not watch on a TV but on a computer or mobile device and DISH Network is staying competitive in this growing market.

I wish you and your family the best in what ever the future holds for you!

Have a great day!"

1. We have no desire to rent DVDs. We never have and never will.

2. We do not watch content over IP.

3. I did not activate anything. A family member activated a blockbusted membership which was included in the Dish package. when I cancelled it, it also cancelled a bunch of programming we had been receiving for 14 years. There should have been a warning on the Dish site that the programming would be deleted with the blockbusted at home DVD option.

Charlie, et al, you need to seriously review how you go about screwing your customers because while we are in a position where we certainly can afford the $120.00 per year, we have now opted NOT to pay that money and put it into our retirement account. Your loss, our gain.

:facepalm

I get not wanting DVDs. But I wouldn't have taken it to that extreme. I would have simply left the queue at 0.

Exactly. Nothing says you have get the DVDs or Blu-ray disks. Nothing says you have to use the streaming. You would just get the Platinum Channels as before, under a new name, with some additional features you could use later, should you so desire, at the same price you were paying before, $10/month.

Am I missing something here, or is this person complaining because they are getting more features for the same money?

Michael

chicagonettech I need this explained more so I can understand as here is what I see. I have had Top250 (or whatever the top tier was called) forever. Same channels as everything pack you have other than the four movie premiums.

With the exception of the Hallmark Movie Channel and an Epix channel, those channels were in the Platinum package, at a cost of $10. The Hallmark and Epix were and still are in the Top250. The Epix channel has changed, but it was always SD as it is now. And, Dish does still have HD free for life.
I can't follow what channels you got before adding Blockbuster(formerly Platinum) that you do not now.

You do realize if you had the platinum package it now is simply a name change to Blockbuster, with some added benefits for the same cost? I think you may owe an apology not to us but Dish for accusing them of something shady when what happened is they added features for no additional cost. Did a family member even change the package or simply activate the FREE aditional benefits?

Last edited:
chicagonettech I need this explained more so I can understand as here is what I see. I have had Top250 (or whatever the top tier was called) forever. Same channels as everything pack you have other than the four movie premiums.

With the exception of the Hallmark Movie Channel and an Epix channel, those channels were in the Platinum package, at a cost of $10. The Hallmark and Epix were and still are in the Top250. The Epix channel has changed, but it was always SD as it is now. And, Dish does still have HD free for life.
I can't follow what channels you got before adding Blockbuster(formerly Platinum) that you do not now.

Everything in this grid:

ChannelChart.png

is now part of blockbusted at home.

If you "set the queue to zero" you delete the package. You save $10.00 per month, but loose the channels.

There is no such thing as HD FREE FOR LIFE any more. Check the new package grids on Dish.com. We had HD FREE FOR LIFE, it was printed on previous bills, and we do not have it any longer.

Dish is moving things around in the packages.

We can afford the changes, but I shudder to think what the increase in costs is going to be in February 2013. If they acquire AT&T, or as the most recent FCC filing suggests, AT&T acquires Dish, I am betting the costs will go through the ceiling.

I did look, HD for life is still there right away when you pick a package it is in a list. Unless you got platinum for free this past year, you always had to pay $10 for ALL those channels other than the two I pointed out. They were NOT part of the Everything package. The package name of Platinum changed and benefits were added for no cost. I don't see what you don't get about that.

Go to the website, pick a package and hover over "See Details" HD for life is clearly listed. Period. Just showing that grid again does not add anything to my post. Yes, if you delete the Blockbuster package(formerly the Platinum Package) of course you will lose those channels. You never would have had them without getting the Blockbuster/Platinum package. I don't think a family member added any package, what they did was to activate the FREE services you can get with it now. You were paying $10 for the Platinum package in September of last year, you were still paying that same $10 for the new package name, Blockbuster.

And one more thing, those channels you got for the last "14 years" were not even around then or carried on Dish till recently.

Last edited:
Exactly. Nothing says you have get the DVDs or Blu-ray disks. Nothing says you have to use the streaming. You would just get the Platinum Channels as before, under a new name, with some additional features you could use later, should you so desire, at the same price you were paying before, $10/month.

Am I missing something here, or is this person complaining because they are getting more features for the same money?

Michael

Thank you. I had Platinum for the channels. Now it's BB. I "might" order a disc by mail. Probably not. Didn't lose a darned thing, gained an option.

I did look, HD for life is still there right away when you pick a package it is in a list. Unless you got platinum for free this past year, you always had to pay $10 for ALL those channels other than the two I pointed out. They were NOT part of the Everything package. The package name of Platinum changed and benefits were added for no cost. I don't see what you don't get about that.

Go to the website, pick a package and hover over "See Details" HD for life is clearly listed. Period. Just showing that grid again does not add anything to my post. Yes, if you delete the Blockbuster package(formerly the Platinum Package) of course you will lose those channels. You never would have had them without getting the Blockbuster/Platinum package. I don't think a family member added any package, what they did was to activate the FREE services you can get with it now. You were paying $10 for the Platinum package in September of last year, you were still paying that same $10 for the new package name, Blockbuster.

Where is HD FREE FOR LIFE listed:

[h=2]My Programming[/h]

[h=3]Summary[/h]Current ProgrammingAmerica's Everything Pak
DVR Service
HD 250 Free ($10/Mo)
HD/SD (2TV) DVR Receiver
HD/SD (2TV) DVR Receiver

Monthly Charges$144.99 (excludes taxes/credits)
[h=3]Change My Programming[/h]
Monthly
Core Packages (Choose 1)Package Details
AmericanDish Family
$24.99​
Dish America
$34.99​
Dish America Silver
$49.99​
Dish America Gold
$59.99​
America's Top 120
$44.99​
America's Top 120+
$49.99​
America's Top 200
$59.99​
America's Top 250
$69.99​
America's Everything Pak
$104.99​
Package No Longer Sold
_​

LatinoLatino Basico
$22.99​
Latino Clasico
$32.99​
Latino Plus
$37.99​
Latino Dos
$44.99​
Latino Max
$57.99​
Package No Longer Sold
_​

InternationalInternational Basic
$10.00​
Chinese Basic
$10.00​
Package No Longer Sold
_​

HD Packages Package Details

HD Add-on
$10.00​
Epix
$7.00​

Premium Packages Package DetailsBlockbuster@Home - 1 Disc
$10.00​
Blockbuster@Home - 2nd Disc
$5.00​
Cinemax
$13.00​
Showtime
$13.00​
Starz
$13.00​
HBO
$16.00​

• Disclosures
  • If you would like both American and Latino programming, choose an American core package and then choose our Dish Latino Bonus pack.
  • Once removed, Package No Longer Sold cannot be restored.
  • 2 premium packages for $26, 3 for $35, 4 for $44.
  • A programming change fee of $5 is applied when you remove services within 30 days of adding them (Waived for new customers in their first 60 days of service).
  • Blockbuster @Home - 2nd Disc option is an additional $5 to the 1 Disc option for a total of $15/mo.
  • Other programming options:
    -Welcome Pack $14.99
    Call 800-333-DISH (3474)

[h=2]Proposed Changes[/h]
America's Everything Pak$104.99
DVR Service$6.00
HD 250 Free ($10/Mo)$0.00
HD/SD (2TV) DVR Receiver$17.00
HD/SD (2TV) DVR Receiver$17.00

Monthly Charges$144.99

I have found that I actually get a BD by mail from time to time. What the hell, I already had Platinum and now I get movies for free. It is not necessary to order up anything and that makes your queue '0' it doesn't delete a thing. I had my queue at '0' for months and nothing changed except I had the opportunity to order up a movie anytime I wanted. It's really too bad that chicagonettech is so blinded by his inability to see a good thing that he just rants about it.....

Dude, read my post, and go to the website. I can't keep arguing a fact with you. Dish still has and advertises HD for life, which by the way has nothing, zip, nada to with the Platinum/Blockbuster package. HD for life is a no additional cost to get HD in your packages, rather than pay $10. You paid by auto pay and I think paperless billing, or paid a one time charge of $99 and got HD for no charge. If you didn't want to do either of those things, you paid $10 for HD. That has nothing to do with the package you are talking about. You had the Blockbuster package in September of last year, but it was called by a different name, Platinum. And when the name changed, they added some more free benefits. Take some time and read my replies and try to digest that, and I think you will see you are getting more than you did before, not less. You are mistaken that Dish did anything wrong.

Looks like he is still paying for HD250 which is $10/mo. I don't think he ever had HD FFL. If he did, then mistakes were made and intelligent folks such as Dish IRT can fix it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts