Dish clipping ends of programs?

It's not the receiver's fault, and it's not Dish's fault. Take it up with the networks. They are the ones who decide when programs start and finish. I have learned to live with this.
Fault ? The networks can start and end programs whenever they choose to. Fact is, it's pretty much normal nowadays, so it's time for Dish to try and solve the resulting problem.

Part of the problem is that it does take time for programing to be transmitted to Dish, processed, uplinked to a satellite and then down to the home then processed by your receiver.
People here are talking about minutes of programming getting cut off. Isn't any satellite "delay" measured in seconds (or even milliseconds) ? Besides, D* doesn't have this problem, from what others report.

At first I thought it was ABC, cause they used to delay Lost and others, but yes I think you are correct.
I'm real positive that ABC used to run Grey's Anatomy 5-10 minutes long, so even if all clocks were synchronized, the default 3-minute late timer setting wouldn't help. Also, the guide data said it ended at 10:00pm, not 10:05pm or 10:10pm.

Before that, and it's been quite a while back that I'm not as confident, I think ER on NBC had non-standard start/end times. Heh, that was pre-DVR days, in fact !! Probably back in the days when I recorded ER, Friends, etc for my wife when she was working 2nd shift.

I'm real positive that ABC used to run Grey's Anatomy 5-10 minutes long, so even if all clocks were synchronized, the default 3-minute late timer setting wouldn't help. Also, the guide data said it ended at 10:00pm, not 10:05pm or 10:10pm. Before that, and it's been quite a while back that I'm not as confident, I think ER on NBC had non-standard start/end times. Heh, that was pre-DVR days, in fact !! Probably back in the days when I recorded ER, Friends, etc for my wife when she was working 2nd shift.
The networks sometimes do this so they can sell more ads during their most popular shows. The show following Grey's will then have shorter commercial breaks to adjust for the late start.

Dish could change their software so, that if you set the ending time to 5 minutes late, then the next program would just start when the current program ended, instead of the dvr just not recording the next program at all, the way it is now.
Also, they could add a minute by minute setting for ending, instead of the current 1, 3, & 5 minute intervals would also. help, since most ptograms that are cut off are less than a minute after the 3 minute default.

I submit that the primary problem is DISH's death grip on rounding the guide data. Some of the programs that are off have been formally scheduled that way but DISH remains steadfast in their commitment to round everything to the nearest five or ten minutes. Fixing this may be very involved, but it really needs to happen.
I'm not doubting that this may be (part of the) issue, but do you know off-hand of any current examples ? What I mean is, what show (or two) are you familiar with that officially ends late, but other than 5 or 10 minutes late ?

I'm real positive that ABC used to run Grey's Anatomy 5-10 minutes long, so even if all clocks were synchronized, the default 3-minute late timer setting wouldn't help. Also, the guide data said it ended at 10:00pm, not 10:05pm or 10:10pm.

Before that, and it's been quite a while back that I'm not as confident, I think ER on NBC had non-standard start/end times. Heh, that was pre-DVR days, in fact !! Probably back in the days when I recorded ER, Friends, etc for my wife when she was working 2nd shift.
Isn't that the crux of the issue?? The receiver is going by what the guide data says. Get the guide data right and problem solved.

Justified typically seems to run 5-10 minutes over and the guide has those times correct. I've never lost any part of it...

In the scenario you describe, the network provides accurate guide data, Dish takes it as-is, and everything works. I'm certain that in most cases where people have a problem, the network says the show ends at 10pm, for example, the guide says it ends at 10pm (and why wouldn't it ?), but it actually ends at 10:04, 10:05, etc, so that even Dish's padding doesn't cover it.

Even if the guide showed the correct end time, say 10:05, it wouldn't help the OP because the OP has something that follows on the same tuner, different channel. It sounds like the the OP has a single tuner DVR or has two things scheduled on two tuners. I note that the OP, in the original post, says the following recording starts early. Perhaps he can change the start time to zero....

Hehe, yeah, back-to-back recordings on different channels certainly presents another kink in this ! If D*, TiVo, etc supposedly don't have this problem and they're using a single-tuner DVR, I'd love to know how they solved it !

While visiting my parents I noticed that the Comcast programming guide shows starting and stopping times on what appears to be a one minute basis. So a show like Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (soon to be with Seth Meyers) is shown as starting at 12:37 AM EST, not 12:35 AM. Not sure if the DVR timers follow that exactly or whether you can add buffer time like you can with Dish.

Even if DISH tightened up their timers to a one minute basis, I think you would still require the overlap between shows. When the network switches immediately from one program to the next (often with a punchline at the end of the ending program), even a small difference can cause you to miss something on the finishing program.

I've become fairly good at forcing shows to be recorded on multiple tuners when they bump up against one another. Sometimes I end up forcing one show to be recorded OTA to force the overlap.

Ray

My HD TiVo handles the network time shifting.

I noticed last week one program was scheduled to run 1:01 hours and the next was a 59 minute program - the Tivo hit it right on the nose.

Dish is just a bit lazy with their guide.

If the issue does lie with the guide data and it rounding to 5-minute or 10-minute intervals vs specific end times, I'm guessing it's a tricky problem to resolve. It's very possible that the same basic software code across all of their receivers, DVR and non-DVR, and Dish is afraid to touch it (for fear of breaking it).

I'm not doubting that this may be (part of the) issue, but do you know off-hand of any current examples ? What I mean is, what show (or two) are you familiar with that officially ends late, but other than 5 or 10 minutes late ?
Check the start time of 20/20 tonight. Zap2It (Tribune's online guide) says it starts at 10:01.

Hi

Thanks for the responses at least I know I'm not alone.
The funny thing is that this has gotten more noticeable lately.

I've added 2 minutes to the end of everything but it is keeping me from recording 2 show that meet end to end while trying to watch something else.
That comes up more then you would think it would, especially now during the Olympics.

I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Mike

Check the start time of 20/20 tonight. Zap2It (Tribune's online guide) says it starts at 10:01.
Dish Anywhere says 10:00pm. If I can remember, I'll see what the physical DVR says. Might even turn off PTAT and set a timer for 20/20, with NO padding, and see what time it starts.

Here's some more examples of DISH guide rounding: tonight on USA, there are episodes of Law and Order that Zap2It says run crazy times (PST).

The first runs from 8:05PST to 9:03PST and the second runs from 9:03PST to 10:00PST. DISH rounded the earlier episode from 8:05 to 9:05 and the latter from 9:05 to 10:00.

On channel up, TV Land episodes of Everybody Loves Raymond shows on Zap2It as starting at 8:00PST and ending at 8:36PST then 8:36 to 9:12, 9:12 to 9:48 and then King of Queens from 9:48 to 10:24. DISHOnline shows 8:00 to 8:35, 8:35 to 9:10, 9:10 to 9:50 and finally 9:50 to 10:25. The third episode of Raymond gets 40 minutes for a 36 minute episode.

This should clearly dispel any myths that DISH isn't rounding their guide data. The fact that one episode is recorded for five minutes longer than the previous episode can't be ignored.

This should clearly dispel any myths that DISH isn't rounding their guide data. The fact that one episode is recorded for five minutes longer than the previous episode can't be ignored.

I never said I doubted you :) Those TV Land examples are excellent too. I am going to set timers (with 0-minute padding) for a few of those and see if possibly the DVR knows the real start times and starts/stops appropriately (my hunch says 'no').

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

well, to sum it up, the networks have gotten smarter and realized that DVRs are eating away at ad times and they want to keep people from watching the shows without having to record it. so my best bet is to set it up manually to record for a longer period then the show last, give it about 5 mins early to maybe 5 to 20 minutes late if it's on a network that just likes to mess with the start and end times of the show. if it's sports related, then you may want to set it up even longer then that, to make sure you get it all.

and the ones who abuse this start/end time schedule is the Viacom owned channels the most, they are imfamous for taking "Turner Time" a step further.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts