DISH Comcast Dispute?

Only way Ala carte will work is if programmers allow their channels to be sold ala carte. And they won't do that. :(
Unless the govt forces it as they did in Canada. Not saying they will, but they could. Each time there is a dispute like this I think it tends to open more people's eyes to the mess the FCC has had a big hand in creating. That mess is rapidly spiraling out of control and eventually someone is going to take action to reign it in. If the FCC won't, Congress eventually will.

Congress won't do spit.... Comcast and the other conglomerates own them.... The FCC has been a pleasant surprise, and they completely changed their tune when John Oliver destroyed them with his net neutrality piece.... Ever since saying that the FCC chair, a former industry lobbyist, was a dingo guarding the internet baby..... The chair complained at a speech that he wasn't a dingo and then the tone completely changed and he has been an advocate for the little guy ever since....

Ooooh! That arbitration is a twist to the Comcast nuts (no offense, it just seemed an apt description). I am rolling on the floor howling in glee after reading that post. I do love it when big business gets a slap to the face. Yes, Charlie is big business too, but I truly dislike Comcast/Universal a LOT. Arbitration forcing a no-blackout would be a delicious b-slap to Comcast that I would relish greatly.

Reactions: D. Manley
OK, I can sum up why this is happening by giving the wants of both sides.

NBCUniversal/Comcast:
1. More money to pay the Sports rights they gained over the years since last contract was signed.
2. To have a 7 day no autohop for NBC primetime programming that is recorded by the Hopper using the PrimeTime Anytime feature.
3. To bring Sprout to the Dish lineup as well as HD feeds for NBCUniversal channels not yet in HD on Dish's lineup and the return of Cool to Dish's lineup as well as the remaining CSN RSNs not on Dish yet.
4. Move some NBCUniversal channels on different their of the Dish packages.

Dish:
1. Retain these same channels at a lower rate then NBCUniversal wants.
2. To put the NBCUniversal channels on the SlingTV lineup.
3. More NBCUniversal owned channels on the lineup maybe.

So basically, I think that both sides have wants that are pretty much causing some fighting between them, it's gonna be Fox/Dish 2010 dispute level of nasty dispute where there channels will be gone for longer then 2 days to a week.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

having had both, i see very little difference, maybe $5 a month

I agree with Torch I see your point to a small extent however it's around $15 or so less for us also. Your breakdown is nothing like what most are paying with Directv, if you do not pay a first receiver fee are you are grandfathered, or you don't realize you are paying one? That and an automatic $15 account fee along with the RSN fee can make Directv quite more per month. But there are set-ups where the difference is closer.

Only way Ala carte will work is if programmers allow their channels to be sold ala carte. And they won't do that. :(
As much as I despise government interference in the marketplace, we cannot have unfettered market based economy. Therefore there must be regulation. That can either be self regulation by business entities or in the absence of that, by government.
With that said, it is incumbent upon the federal government to roll up its sleeves and settle any and all of these issues which lead to these disputes. I say this because at the end of the day the one group that is NEVER represented is the consumer.
We keep paying escalating bills for service while services are interrupted and each side plays the blame game.
The issues at hand?
Retransmission .....Should not exist. Why on earth should we as pay tv subscribers pay for something that OTA station owners give away( by law) free of charge?.....The notion of retrans was developed by broadcasters and then passed intop law at the behest of the NAB which has a very powerful lobby ion DC...The broadcasters do NOTHING. They do not pay for the equipment that send their signals to pay tv providers who in turn distribute those signals so that more people can watch the broadcasts....Broadcasts that many viewers may not watch at all but for the availability of the signal through their provider. The way I see it is pay tv provides a method by which MORE viewers can see the local affiliates...The affiliates should be paying the provider for the favor....
Sports black outs....Based on advertising....Advertisers literally do not want those living outside the market of a particular team to see their commercials without paying a fee. And even then, the blackouts prevent viewing...
OTA Network affiliates....These should not exist. Technology exists today so that local advertising can be inserted so that they can be viewed locally. happens all the time. Eliminating local affiliates would drive the cost of broadcasting downward. If one wants news, they can find it on line. Which is what most of us do now anyway. If one does not have internet, there is radio.
The NAB along with other entities work diligently to protect an industry that exists in the 1950's.....
A La Carte. The meat and potatoes of pay tv....These bundles of channels forced upon consumers are as a result of providers and producers merging or programmers which through financial clout and intense lobbying have been able to effect changes in laws that kept providers and programmers separate. Again, never was the effect on consumers considered. They are expensive, unnecessary and infuriating....LET ME CHOOSE....
I think it is time for the FCC or the Congress to step in and make pay tv consumer friendly.
The first thing I'd like to see is the removal of barriers which limit competition. By the way...those barriers do not exist prevent competition. They exist to created protected markets for providers and programmers.
Think of the settlement in 1985 when the US Government deemed the Bell System to be an illegal monopoly. One of the provisions was that customers would be able to choose both their long distance and LOCAL carriers.
To date, there is very little in the way of direct competition among local POTS carriers. For example....I reside in an area served exclusively by Windstream...meaning I have no access to Frontier or AT&T. It also means I cannot subscribe to any other ISP except from the local cable provider or via satellite. And the telcos and cable companies would like to keep those barriers in place...
Here's another infuriating issue. Entrenched providers use their influence on local politicians and back room agreements with other entities to keep other providers out...
Google Fiber is having to battle cable companies like Time Warner which there is no doubt is influencing utility companies to keep pole access difficult if not impossible for Google. That kind of politicking and back room deal making MUST end...
End of rant.....

DISH Sues NBC for Breach of Contract, Expects to File for Arbitration
  • Comcast-NBCUniversal merger conditions created binding arbitration framework
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DISH issued the following statement regarding current distribution renewal negotiations with NBCUniversal.

"NBC's public statements against DISH over the past 24 hours are in violation of the contract between the two companies. Today, DISH filed a breach of contract lawsuit against NBC to address those violations.

"DISH has successfully negotiated agreements representing numerous networks in recent months that benefit all parties, including our viewers. DISH's goal is to reach a mutually beneficial deal with NBC.

"However, based on NBCU's actions to date, DISH currently expects to file for arbitration, which would prevent NBC from blacking out DISH customers.

"Under the conditions imposed by the FCC and Department of Justice in approving the Comcast-NBCUniversal merger, NBC is forbidden from blacking out its networks if a pay-TV provider chooses, in its sole discretion, to exercise its right for binding arbitration. Regulators implemented these conditions to prevent Comcast and NBC from harming consumers and competition.

"In the event of arbitration, affected programming would remain available during that process, and for the foreseeable future."

Well so much for my thought DISH would settle... Though it does seem they don't want some of those channels to go dark. I didn't remember that caveat and it would seem DISH thinks what Comcast wants won't fly in arbitration.

NBCUniversal/Comcast:
1. More money to pay the Sports rights they gained over the years since last contract was signed.
2. To have a 7 day no autohop for NBC primetime programming that is recorded by the Hopper using the PrimeTime Anytime feature.
3. To bring Sprout to the Dish lineup as well as HD feeds for NBCUniversal channels not yet in HD on Dish's lineup and the return of Cool to Dish's lineup as well as the remaining CSN RSNs not on Dish yet.

Dish:

So basically, I think that both sides have wants that are pretty much causing some fighting between them, it's gonna be Fox/Dish 2010 dispute level of nasty dispute where there channels will be gone for longer then 2 days to a week.

Also on Dish wish list....

1: More VOD capability (Xfinity subscribers have many more VOD options for their Comcast owned channels than we do)

Man F-1 Season getting ready to start hope they don't mess with the NBC Sports channel since they have most of the coverage..

Reactions: Foxbat
I don't really understand Comcast/NBCU's rationale in this situation. They had to know they were in breach of contract regarding the messages to subscribers on their channels, the website, the Facebook and Twitter messages, not to metntion the fact of the arbitration clause in the FCC Order. From their own website, you can read that FCC order which outines the arbitration process. Here is a link to that if anyone wishes to read it. Maybe they were just trying to push Dish's buttons a little?

There's going to be a lot of angry English Soccer fans if this does not get resolved soon.
There would be if there was a threat of a black-out. But there isn't. So we EPL fans can remain calm and have dreams of delusion that Liverpool will start being consistent from game to game.

Reactions: Canesman

NBCUniversal/Comcast:

Dish:

you are right about that maybe they are working on getting the rest of the hd feeds up also.thank you for summaring this up. thanks guys for your understanding all i am trying to do is to inform you with the news on whats going on between dish and comcast.i appreciate it very much :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)