Dish Comcast RSN Dispute

No, they do not. You can watch home Sabres, Rangers, Islanders, Devils games in HD on DirecTv because they have a carriage deal with MSG. You cannot watch them on DISH and you can only get the MSG SD feeds if those teams are playing each other because there is no other team feed that is not MSG.
You're right... but it needs to be explained better. Center Ice only carries select HD feeds. So if CSN goes dark, Dish will only have access to the SD feed in most cases. Dish usually won't put up the games offered on RSNs that aren't on Dish, because of this. So, if the NYC area and Buffalo teams are playing anther team whose RSN is on Dish, Dish will select to carry that team's telecast. If it's only avaliable via the RSN not carried by Dish, then Dish will put that telecast up.

This is really irritating. I pay for CI primarily to watch the SJ Sharks who are on CSN Bay Area (or CSN-CA...I have trouble keeping them straight). I'm relatively OK with watching the games through the opponent's broadcast as long as it's in HD (but generally prefer the SJ broadcast). The Sharks' broadcast for tonight's game vs. Edmonton is non-existent on CI through Dish and the Oilers' broadcast is only in SD thanks to whatever the bizarre deal with the Canadian teams is. Isn't CI an NHL product? If that's the case I don't understand why Dish is not carrying the full slate of CI broadcasts. Does Dish have the authority to collect the full fee for CI then only carry the games/broadcasts they deem appropriate? I will be on the horn with them shortly and will report back with any news.

Last edited:
Concerning my CI question, the only thing that has changed since the Dish/Comcast dispute is that Dish does not show the Comcast MA feed, so all the Caps games are done through their opponents network. Usually there is an option of which feed to watch. So, you could say that they took it off since they won't show the Comcast feed. Not sure about other teams that are located on a Comcast network. I'm still getting to see them play, but I know that last year I probably only had to watch their games through the opposing team feed once or twice.

Didn't realize there was another page of posts, so this is happening with other teams as well.

You're right... but it needs to be explained better. Center Ice only carries select HD feeds. So if CSN goes dark, Dish will only have access to the SD feed in most cases. Dish usually won't put up the games offered on RSNs that aren't on Dish, because of this. So, if the NYC area and Buffalo teams are playing anther team whose RSN is on Dish, Dish will select to carry that team's telecast. If it's only avaliable via the RSN not carried by Dish, then Dish will put that telecast up.

All Center Ice is HD on Directv, except for some games between 2 Canadian teams.

Am I correct that this is still an ongoing dispute? I noticed that, after the reported cut-off date, one Sharks' CSN broadcast was available through my CI package but the rest have not been. That one game made me think they had worked it out.

Update: I was able to negotiate $15 off my bill for 6 mos. as compensation for not getting the CI broadcasts from CSN channels...they offered $10/mo. then accepted my counter of $15. That's just about 50% of the cost of Center Ice. I'm still annoyed by the way Dish handles these disputes but the relative ease of obtaining some compensation helps a little.

Reactions: kennya
Update... I just now went to set up my dvr to record the Caps v Blue Jackets and the Washington feed was available! I then checked the RSN's and the Comcast channels still don't have an emblem, so not sure what's going on, but maybe a resolution has been agreed on? I'm hoping...

I agree - this was a very strange dispute. There were all the banners all over the place, then it just completely disappeared. I went to the iwantcsnchicago.com website just this morning and it said that CSN was still in a short term extension with Dish, but this evening, it is completely gone. Good to see that they struck a deal with Comcast. Doesn't look like Dish is getting out of the RSN business yet.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/news-articles/dish-comcast-reach-sportsnet-pact/386462

No CSNNE or the missing stations along with not a lot of news while it was going on. Such a weird dispute
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am surprised that CSNNE was not added back to the mix. CSN Philly and CSN NW would have been a stretch since Dish has never had them, but I really thought that CSNNE would have been required to renew the contract.

Not surprised at all, they weren't part of the dispute. Separate contract. This now settled dispute also has nothing to do with CSN Philly, again that would be totally separate contract, in fact especially that channel would be.

This is great because i'm probably going to switch back to Dish from Directv when my contract is up with Directv. I pay about $30 more a month with Directv, hate the channel guide, my remote doesn't respond about half the time and miss the Sirius XM channels. The one thing that would keep me are if Dish didn't have some channels i want. CSN CA and CSN Bay Area are 2 i need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)