Dish Comm revisited - my question

Stacy A

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 15, 2003
northeast Texas
Next month I will be installing a Kyocera KR2 evdo router and finally will have a wireless network at home. I wil connect my 722 to the router with an ethernet cable. Now here's the question: Will Dish Comm allow me to NOT have a phone line connected to the 622? I'm thinking the 622 will communicate with the 722. How wrong am I?

I'm thinking even if you have ethernet at least one receiver still has to have the phone line connected but I'm not positive. However with the latest L615 software the DishComm isn't working very well. I have 615 on one and 614 on the other 622 and they are having a hard time communicating with each other whereas before the 615 they were both working perfectly.

Then how do I get rid of the stinking landline? I think I've heard of others being able to get rid of their landline, having two recievers.

An internet connection subs for the phone line, but the 622 needs to be connected as well as the 722. I believe E* is about to allow the first dual tuner receiver on the account a waiver from the connection requirement. You can use the homeplug option or sometimes a wireless bridge to the main router connected by ethernet cable to a receiver as well. The 622 can't communicate with the 722 without also being connected to the net.

Man. This is going to be more complicated than I thought. Thanks for the info Laddyboy. I don't think an ethernet cable will be my solution (for the 622 in the bedroom). What I was thinking I may do is connect the 722 (in livingroom) to the router via ethernet cable. Now that I find the 622 has to be connected to something as well... I have no idea what to do there. I'll have to research Homeplug and wireless bridge.... Hmmm...

Thanks again.

Stacy...I know you've been around here a long time, but just to make sure, you do know you can also just pay a $5/mo fee to drop the phoneline requirement to the receivers, right? I know it's not the best solution, but in the end, it's still cheaper than keeping a landline just for your receivers.

Yeah. Right now I'm paying $5/mo for the 622 with no phone line. I just hate wasting the money. See, in addition to the722 and 622 I have a PS3, a Wii, my wife's laptop, the desktop, and one of my daughters has an ipod touch: all of which would benefit from having a wireless network to connect to. I figured I would just get everything connected to it, but prices for the homeplug are more than I figured and a gaming adapter is more than I wanted to spend too. I'll just have to eat the $5 fo now until a better solution comes along.

I had a 721, 625, 501,722 when I left dish and did not have a single thing hooked up via network or phone. CEO departmen always given me waivers on the phone line fee. But again when I left dish I was at the 10 year mark.

I've been with Dish 10 years. Never thought about asking for waivers for the pohone line fee. Im also a little ticked with them right now over some billing issues. At one time I was paying around $120 per month for service and I decided to save a little to protest a couple of things and got things down to about $90/month. I noticed last month that my bill was suddenly up to $110 - and I'm now on autopay and paperless billing so Dish just sucks the money right out of my account every month. I checked my bill and suddenly I'm being charged the $5 no phone line fee (and rightfully so, although they had neglected to charge it for several months now) and I discovered I am somehow suddenly signed up for the Home Protection Plan and paying $5.99 for that. I don't remember ever doing that.

I really get sick of getting nickeled and dimed on every little thing. I'm hoping to go TurboHD if I can convince the wife that we can live without a few channels she tends to watch (whenever she actually sits down to watch TV)

Next month I will be installing a Kyocera KR2 evdo router and finally will have a wireless network at home. I wil connect my 722 to the router with an ethernet cable. Now here's the question: Will Dish Comm allow me to NOT have a phone line connected to the 622? I'm thinking the 622 will communicate with the 722. How wrong am I?

You can still add a Homeplug device (about $20) connected by wire to your router, and have the 622 and 722 connect via DishComm to the Homeplug. This works without a landline.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)