DISH confronts low customer satisfaction culture

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
US pay-TV operator DISH has shared its vision to confront the low customer satisfaction pervasive throughout the pay-TV industry. To redefine its relationship with customers, DISH is doubling down on a company-wide commitment to listen, in an industry that it says does not. This sentiment is captured in DISH’s newly launched ‘Tuned In To You’ promise and accompanying ‘Spokeslistener’ campaign.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/02/06/dish-confronts-low-customer-satisfaction-culture/

first video on youtube
spokelister video on youtube

second video on youtube
tuned in to you

Content: HD and 4K.

I already put up with Dish because the Hopper is so much better than the Genie. I'll keep putting up with crap customer service (I mean, I haven't had *horrible* customer service anyway) and stay with Dish forever if they will fill out some HD feeds and get us some 4K like DirecTV

I respond to My Dish Voice surveys that come out multiple times a year. The last one was about the subject matter and previewed a commercial that was to come out shortly. The multiple questions about listening to customers just made me laugh. I gave them bottom ratings when asked if what I saw would sway me into believing that Dish was anything but another operator...

Reactions: peggy97850
Content: HD and 4K.

I already put up with Dish because the Hopper is so much better than the Genie. I'll keep putting up with crap customer service (I mean, I haven't had *horrible* customer service anyway) and stay with Dish forever if they will fill out some HD feeds and get us some 4K like DirecTV
i have to agree with joe here isnt time for dish for start rolling out the rest of the hd channels and start rolling 4k why does directv get all the 4k and why not dish?and we have the dish hopper 3 which does 4k?

I'm not sure large cable/satellite companies can win on this front. Customer expectations are often times unrealistic. I don't care how much you listen. If the person speaking is making unattainable demands all yo do is set yourself up for more disappointed customers.
I want 100% A La Carte. Nothing else matters. ...not mini-packs that force me to buy extra channels I don't want; not more tiers; not more channels. I want to say exactly what channels I want to buy. Are you listening? I bet you are.

I know what the answer is and why it's impossible right now. But I'm not the average customer. I know the way the industry works no matter how much I don't like the current business model.

I'm not looking for a rehash of the "a la carte will cost more blah, blah, blah" arguments. That is not the point of my comment. Also notice I never said I want packages to go away. I just said want a la carte so *I* could pick the channels I want.

I'm not sure large cable/satellite companies can win on this front. . . . I want 100% A La Carte. Nothing else matters. ...not mini-packs that force me to buy extra channels I don't want; not more tiers; not more channels. I want to say exactly what channels I want to buy. . . .

Amen. And I'd pay enough to try to give them a profit. How about a "Locals Plus Five" package for $20 a month? Here's an example I would gladly pay for:
Locals, Fox News, TNT, USA, WE, and SEC. Let me keep my Movie Pack for $10, making it $30. I use Wally's, so my DVR costs nothing. Restrictions would need to be in place for high-cost channels like ESPN or HBO, etc. They'd have to be making more on that than they do on my $20 Welcome Pack, wouldn't they?

Reactions: pattykay
As more and more people buy 4K TV's it's only natural they will migrate to a provider offering some 4K content in even their least expensive tiers. This week Directv will show the Golf Tournament from beautiful Pebble Beach in 4K all four days. It ain't much but it's something.

Amen. And I'd pay enough to try to give them a profit. How about a "Locals Plus Five" package for $20 a month? Here's an example I would gladly pay for:
Locals, Fox News, TNT, USA, WE, and SEC. Let me keep my Movie Pack for $10, making it $30. I use Wally's, so my DVR costs nothing. Restrictions would need to be in place for high-cost channels like ESPN or HBO, etc. They'd have to be making more on that than they do on my $20 Welcome Pack, wouldn't they?
Nearly everything you are talking about IS available with the FLEX Pack, just not as cheap as your pipe dream.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Nearly everything you are talking about IS available with the FLEX Pack, just not as cheap as your pipe dream.
Let's see if that's even close to correct. The FLEX Pack costs $40 for a package full of channels I don't really want (but have to take) in exchange for the privilege of paying $10 more for my locals and $10 more again for Fox News. That's $60 so far. $40 ($13.34 each) for USA, TNT, and WE, $10 for Fox News, $10 for the locals, and I still have no sports at all. What a deal! Oh, I can add a bundle of Sports including 7 channels I don't want in order to get the SEC channel. So my "Locals plus 5 Pack" only costs $70 using the Flex Pack.
But wait! There's more! I've been a faithful Dish customer for 20 years, so surely they'll give me at least as good a deal as a stranger off the street. Think again! New customers get one FLEX add-on pack for free, but loyal 20-year customers DO NOT. What a deal! Why would I cut the cord on Dish just because I'm legally getting every channel I can think of over the Internet for $35/month (DTVN), and Dish wants to treat me like a second-class customer? I could pay twice as much and get a lot less channels from Dish!
I prefer Dish Network as a company over all their competitors, but they REALLY couldn't care less about anyone who wants to pay them $50 or less. I remember reading a story a while back that Charlie wanted to get rid of the customers that didn't buy the more expensive packages. Sounds like it's working. No wonder so many people are "cutting the cord" and living with just NetFlix, Hulu, and Acorn.
(I apologize for my rant, but I'm hoping the Dish SpokesListener is reading this.) Anyway, the Flex Pack is not even close to a-la-carte.

Last edited:
I think any channel that has an HD feed should be added by now. TV Land is supposed to be the top 3 Viacom station, yet they don't add the HD feed, yet they have Logo and Centric in HD, that are less popular. During the holidays I watched QVC and HSN (for gift ideas) and used my Roku to see the HD feeds of the channels...since the Dish service I pay for doesn't provide them. My dad lives in a local market that doesn't have a CW station, so Dish provides WPIX New York, way up on 916 and in SD...give me a break, why can't they add it in HD and also put it in the lower channel area with the rest of the locals. All these channels should be in HD be now especially if there is an available feed.

As a Top 250 subscriber, I found it odd that I could not get the music video channels CMT Music, Nick Music, etc or BBC World News. Their top package and most expensive, yet I couldn't get these basic channels that required the Flex Pack...Since then I have switched to the Top 200, as the Top 250 offers no value anymore.

The one thing I do like about Dish service recently, is they have been adding of the diginet subchannels now--Laff, Cozi TV (FeTV), Justice Network, Grit, and GetTV that I otherwise would not receive. I still wish they had MeTV and Heroes and Icons.

Once the contract is up, I'm not sure I'll remain with Dish.

I agree the Flex pack isn't anything special.

Every single one of those "add on" packs can be added to Top 120 and Top 200 as well.
Flex is just another basepackage with Charlie Picked channels.

I see more value in the Latino packs with the Add on packs.

Reactions: Photog_7
My dad lives in a local market that doesn't have a CW station, so Dish provides WPIX New York, way up on 916 and in SD...give me a break, why can't they add it in HD and also put it in the lower channel area with the rest of the locals. All these channels should be in HD be now especially if there is an available feed.
Does Dish still provide that? I thought they dropped those CW feeds in the 900's during the Tribune dispute, and they never came back, even after the rest of the Tribune channels were restored.

As a Top 250 subscriber, I found it odd that I could not get the music video channels CMT Music, Nick Music, etc or BBC World News. Their top package and most expensive, yet I couldn't get these basic channels that required the Flex Pack...
I find it odd that you are complaining about not getting channels that are only carried in SD, since you just got through complaining about SD-only feeds in the previous paragraph.

My idea of a-la-carte would be a point-based system. You pick your price point (like the "name your price tool") and you can choose any combination of channels that adds up to that number of points. More expensive channels would cost you more points (like ordering CD's from Columbia House, where some of them would count as two selections, for example) while channels that are paying to be carried would have a negative point value, offsetting some of the cost and allowing you to pick more channels. This way, Dish could still collect a consistent amount of money each month from each subscriber (tiers of $20, $25, $30 etc.) while offering the flexibility to pick whatever channels you want, if you can afford them.

Nope. I do like Sling TV, but they don't offer Fox News at any price. If they offered Fox News by itself for, say, $5.00, I could pay $20 for the basics, $5.00 for Fox News, and then add the Sports Extra for another $5.00. At $30, I would still have no networks, no USA, and no WE. But Sling TV is out anyway because they don't offer Fox News at any price.

Reactions: Jillian2
My idea of a-la-carte would be a point-based system. You pick your price point (like the "name your price tool") and you can choose any combination of channels that adds up to that number of points. More expensive channels would cost you more points (like ordering CD's from Columbia House, where some of them would count as two selections, for example) while channels that are paying to be carried would have a negative point value, offsetting some of the cost and allowing you to pick more channels. This way, Dish could still collect a consistent amount of money each month from each subscriber (tiers of $20, $25, $30 etc.) while offering the flexibility to pick whatever channels you want, if you can afford them.

You truly are a genius! Seriously, that's a great idea! And it allows Dish to make a tidy profit while keeping customers like me happy, thanks to the many customers they would retain. Thank goodness the SpokesListener is hearing all this! :)

Reactions: pattykay
Nope. I do like Sling TV, but they don't offer Fox News at any price. If they offered Fox News by itself for, say, $5.00, I could pay $20 for the basics, $5.00 for Fox News, and then add the Sports Extra for another $5.00. At $30, I would still have no networks, no USA, and no WE. But Sling TV is out anyway because they don't offer Fox News at any price.

Got to have Fox News

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)