Dish contract ends 28Apr2024 - any reason to renew?

skatsinas

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2016
Tucson AZ
My 120+ contract with Hopper & 2 Joey 4s expires 28Apr, at $89/month, including fees. Even though the local ABC affiliate's GUIDE display duplicates the CW channel's listings (can't find anyone at Dish to fix once again, after "brittanygarden" left the satelliteguys scene), I still like Dish for news, sports & locals, as well as superior DVR (back 10 sec, fwd 30 sec, perfect for watching recorded football game in 1 hr).

Am I nuts to renew, based on financial situation?

Is re-up offer of $97/mo (+ fees, but not sure of total) + immediate $40 credit a good deal?

--Scott in Tucson

My 120+ contract with Hopper & 2 Joey 4s expires 28Apr, at $89/month, including fees. Even though the local ABC affiliate's GUIDE display duplicates the CW channel's listings (can't find anyone at Dish to fix once again, after "brittanygarden" left the satelliteguys scene), I still like Dish for news, sports & locals, as well as superior DVR (back 10 sec, fwd 30 sec, perfect for watching recorded football game in 1 hr).

Is re-up offer of $97/mo (+ fees, but not sure of total) + immediate $40 credit a good deal?

--Scott in Tucson
I would look into the Flex Pack and any add ons you might require. Mine is $93 with News Pack a month all in (Hopper, 2 Joeys, but no Sat locals). We have the $0.99 a month Hulu, so if I run into two tuner OTA conflicts, I will watch Fox or ABC there, but with commercials.

Charlie has been mostly quiet lately, which is concerning.

Flex pass doesn't work well for me, as I need sports and news. Unfortunately, 120+ does not include NewsNation, which seems to be the closest thing to unbiased news these days.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Flex pass doesn't work well for me, as I need sports and news. Unfortunately, 120+ does not include NewsNation, which seems to be the closest thing to unbiased news these days.
If you want sports, you should not be with Dish to begin with!

Yeah I thought that was really strange about News Nation. I guess they're still operating under the WGN contract.

I've been checking it out for a few months. Just tell it record ALL, let's say, men's college BB games and ALL women's. There they are. No limit. Recordings expire 90 days later. I usually want to watch the game earlier than 90 days later, but that's me. 15 sec skip forward, 15 sec back. Sometimes I miss +30/-10 sec on the H3, but I'm working through it. No hard drive failures, no extra receiver charges, has the channels I want including sports, no additional packages required.

Reactions: TheKrell
Maybe we should test it for a month. I've heard that Dish retention offers may improve after a month away from the service.

I had it on "Dish Pause" for a few months and I just went through the final discussion where I said I gotta go but they need to tell you how bad it'll be...(un)fortunately we got disconnected, but I had made the point that I had made the decision. Thought I was going to have to call back. Gotta hand it to Dish though...I did get the email later saying that the discussion had been successful. I'm not sure about the wisdom of charging $5 a month to have service paused. I own my H3 and a few 4K Joeys and a Wally and a Playmaker, so I could swing back by without too much trouble.

I've been checking it out for a few months. Just tell it record ALL, let's say, men's college BB games and ALL women's. There they are. No limit. Recordings expire 90 days later. I usually want to watch the game earlier than 90 days later, but that's me. 15 sec skip forward, 15 sec back. Sometimes I miss +30/-10 sec on the H3, but I'm working through it. No hard drive failures, no extra receiver charges, has the channels I want including sports, no additional packages required.
Recordings expire 9 MONTHS later with YTTV.

--Scott in Tucson
If $8 is gonna break your budget, you got bigger problems than Dish programming to worry about! You might inquire if there are any renewal perks or freebees they could throw in. Dish, like any company, rewards loyalty. Ask for some re-up perks.

I've been on Dish 200 for 7 years, best bang for the buck imo. And Dish reps treat me good, I get lots of perks anytime I call.

Do or Do Not, there is no try....