Dish CSR please comment on mixed arc set-up for Puerto Rico and USVI customers

I do agree you need to get what you pay for, otherwise Dish needs to lower your cost to the channels you actually get. And if 61.5 would serve more people instead of 72 I just don't know why they are migrating.
But your point "C" I do not agree with. Yes, in time, but not if it means raising rates to pay for it. There are probably still millions that have MPEG2 equipment. Even people who post here and are up to date on what is going on still have at least one MPEG2 receiver.

Agreed that it is too much for them to take on for the entire country....but customers with Easter/Western arc coverage are getting what they pay for, over 3 satellites instead of the two (110/119) we get in PR/VI. I was proposing upgrading all PR/VI customers to MPEG4.....selfish, yes....but it would pay for itself in new customers.

Agreed that it is too much for them to take on for the entire country....but customers with Easter/Western arc coverage are getting what they pay for, over 3 satellites instead of the two (110/119) we get in PR/VI. I was proposing upgrading all PR/VI customers to MPEG4.....selfish, yes....but it would pay for itself in new customers.

Our HD is Mpeg4 spotbeam, to create more space to give us more HD they would have to convert a lot of Conus over to Mpeg4 as well on 119/110

Hi

In my opinion, again, what Dish has to do is move all HD to 61.5 like they had. And that way they would have the ability to deliver full HD lineup to PR/USVI while not affecting anybody in CONUS. This is the only cost effective, immediate, reasonable and just way of providing a solution that would benefit everybody including Dish. It just blows my mind away how doesn't anyone at Dish Network can figure this out. This is the fastest and most complete solution available, their is no technical reason on why not doing it. I would only assume that they just are overseeing this fact because if that is not the case then their just dumb or have a deliberate intention of not doing it.

Can anyone explain why is this proposition not feasible? Is there some technical reason I am overseeing? Please explain.

Hi

In my opinion, again, what Dish has to do is move all HD to 61.5 like they had. And that way they would have the ability to deliver full HD lineup to PR/USVI while not affecting anybody in CONUS. This is the only cost effective, immediate, reasonable and just way of providing a solution that would benefit everybody including Dish. It just blows my mind away how doesn't anyone at Dish Network can figure this out. This is the fastest and most complete solution available, their is no technical reason on why not doing it. I would only assume that they just are overseeing this fact because if that is not the case then their just dumb or have a deliberate intention of not doing it.

Can anyone explain why is this proposition not feasible? Is there some technical reason I am overseeing? Please explain.

because they want all subs to have a single Dish solution with an EA or WA setup, I don't see then wavering from this. So the only solution is mpeg4 so we have more channels per transponder.

I believe that Dish doesn't have space to add more HD channels in the (110, 119, 129), so getting HD from 110 its not an option. 61.5 its the only option to get more HD to the Caribbean. Dish doesn't want that, but it's the only option. For example 61.5 has lots of MPEG 4 SD channels with the HD equivalent on 72. Who watch SD when the can see it in HD? Some people may argue that they recorded their shows in SD to save space but with the EHD thats not longer a valid point. I said get rid SD on the eastern arc. That will create more space for HD at least for the Caribbean. Anyway they don't have to do that, they just have to stop the migration. I have 3 dishes for a long time, those who don't, can add a dish. It will be cheaper to add a Dish. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that people will not mind to add a dish if you tell them they will be getting more HD channels. They don't have to put all the Hd channels on 61.5, only the ones that the Caribbean doesn't get.

Seriously, who watch the MPEG4 SD channels with an HD version on the eastern arc? If the receiver by default takes you to the hd feed first, who will change the channel to watch the sd version. If someone does that, please explain why.

If you have eastern arc it doesn't matter if the HD it's at 61.5 or 72. You can't have a single arc solution in PR or VI.

I believe that Dish doesn't have space to add more HD channels in the (110, 119, 129), so getting HD from 110 its not an option.

I could be completely wrong, but I thought there were some empty PR/USVI spotbeam transponders on 110 and 119. I remember reading a post by Digiblur, a long time ago, were he listed transponders and their spotbeams, and there were a couple not in use. Maybe they have changed?

because they want all subs to have a single Dish solution with an EA or WA setup, I don't see then wavering from this. So the only solution is mpeg4 so we have more channels per transponder.

Dish wants a one dish solution, worst idea ever. Dish doesn't get that we live in a tropical island, we get a lot of rain. If I change my dishes with the garbage they are offering now, I will get rain fade everyday. The idea to have all the channels on mpeg 4 is great, but the one dish solution not.

Dish wants a one dish solution, worst idea ever. Dish doesn't get that we live in a tropical island, we get a lot of rain. If I change my dishes with the garbage they are offering now, I will get rain fade everyday. The idea to have all the channels on mpeg 4 is great, but the one dish solution not.

I have a one dish 40 inch, what size do you have. Also since Alaska and Hawaii can see the 128, why not take there spot beam off the 119/110 to free up more space. I am sure there
are a lot more customers here then either of those 2 places combined. Of course they are both states and have senators

I could be completely wrong, but I thought there were some empty PR/USVI spotbeam transponders on 110 and 119. I remember reading a post by Digiblur, a long time ago, were he listed transponders and their spotbeams, and there were a couple not in use. Maybe they have changed?

They are using tp 18 and 29 (110 )mirroring SD from 119, don't know the reason. Maybe some kind of service in Cuba.
If they eliminate those we could get 14 hd channels.

I have a one dish 40 inch, what size do you have. Also since Alaska and Hawaii can see the 128, why not take there spot beam off the 119/110 to free up more space. I am sure there
are a lot more customers here then either of those 2 places combined. Of course they are both states and have senators

I have one 6 footer and two 4 footers. Do you have rain fade?

They are using tp 18 and 29 (110 )mirroring SD from 119, don't know the reason. Maybe some kind of service in Cuba.
If they eliminate those we could get 14 hd channels.

still people in PR and USVI that have mpeg2 only boxes, which is part of the problem. Dish would have to swap all those people out

I believe that Dish doesn't have space to add more HD channels in the (110, 119, 129), so getting HD from 110 its not an option. 61.5 its the only option to get more HD to the Caribbean. Dish doesn't want that, but it's the only option. For example 61.5 has lots of MPEG 4 SD channels with the HD equivalent on 72. Who watch SD when the can see it in HD? Some people may argue that they recorded their shows in SD to save space but with the EHD thats not longer a valid point. I said get rid SD on the eastern arc. That will create more space for HD at least for the Caribbean. Anyway they don't have to do that, they just have to stop the migration. I have 3 dishes for a long time, those who don't, can add a dish. It will be cheaper to add a Dish. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that people will not mind to add a dish if you tell them they will be getting more HD channels. They don't have to put all the Hd channels on 61.5, only the ones that the Caribbean doesn't get.

Seriously, who watch the MPEG4 SD channels with an HD version on the eastern arc? If the receiver by default takes you to the hd feed first, who will change the channel to watch the sd version. If someone does that, please explain why.

To me, that bears some thought. Dish already does not have the SD version of the locals on the EA. Is it necessary to have the SD version of an available HD channel there? We do not know why Dish is migrating HD off 61.5, so any of our ideas may be moot, something that can't be overlooked. Without knowing why Dish feels they need to reduce the HD from 61.5 we really are just speculating on what can be done. But unless Dish is not interested in serving PR/USVI etc.. I would think these possibilities would be looked at if 61.5 could continue to carry the bulk of package HD on the EA.

If I am missing what you are saying, forgive me. But I think you are missing a huge point. You can not look at 119/110 AND look at 61.5 as a way to get a full package. That's not how it works. 119/110/129 makes a complete package, and 61.5/72.5 and in some cases 77 makes a complete package. That's how dish does, and I can tell you if they didn't alot of New England would not be able to get HD. (trees - 119/110/129 requires a much lower view of sight)
Saying there are HD channels that are duplicated is not correct, it isn't duplicated for those that do not see or get the 119/110/129 sats.

Leaving the HD on 61.5 to me would solve this as many have said. I don't know why the switch to 72 but then I'm not employed by Dish.

I have one other question. Is there any chance the channels not being shown, (blacked -out) are not allowed to be sold to PR by Dish?

The big problem is that PR is not in the footprint of 72.7 or 129. Dish managed to give us many HD channels through spotbeams on 119 and 110. But we are still missing a lot of the HD channels. Since we are only in the footprints of 119, 110 and 61.5 thats why I ask Dish to get the HD we have on 119/110 out of 61.5 and the ones we do not have on 119/110 make them available to us on 61.5. We have duplicated HD channels because of the spotbeams on 119/110 but many of them are blocked on the feed from 61.5 (appear red on the guide like if you were not paying for it). It is not normal to have a 119/110/61.5 setup in PR but (they are marketing a one dish to 119/110 only) that is what we get footprint today. My point is put the HD we have on 119/110 on 72.7 and the ones we do not get on 119/110 put it on 61.5 (and make it available to us). That way we could have all the HD offering from Dish in Puerto Rico. I do not see a reason to black out only the HD channel if you have the SD counterpart.

Again, I am not getting "thats why I ask Dish to get the HD we have on 119/110 out of 61.5 and the ones we do not have on 119/110 make them available to us on 61.5." How would that not screw up everyone else who is on one arc or the other? 61.5\72 has nothing whatsoever to do with 119/110. I understand it has become the way for you to get HD channels, but it isn't a recognized way to do it, so that is why it is not working out. You could blame Dish or the installers, for letting you do it and letting you order the packages, but they should not be selling you the packages they are, because they are based in part on Satellites you can not see. (either 129 or 72) To me, that is the problem. And that is why they are so insistent on everyone being on one arc or the other. Dish apparently wants to be able to move channels between the three satellites that are assigned to your geographic location. You do not have three satellites from the same arc for your geographic location. They are very restricted when you have a couple of satellites from one arc, and another from the other arc in adding programming.
My set-up could be at risk sometime, as I do not have 77. I have 119/110 and 61.5 and 72. (Because I get programming only available on 119) As of now there is not one channel on 77 that applies to me. If dish were to decide to put some of the core programming on 77 however I will have to make a change. (I can't see 129) But I know that , and will deal with it should it happen.

I think you have to realize as programming changes, so does how Dish has to find a place to put it. I know at this moment the solution seems to be not to migrate HD off of 61.5. But I think that is asking too much to expect Dish to have to live with that when their whole set-up is based on a one dish (when at all possible) three satellite from the same arc solution. Again, Dish probably should not be selling you those packages, much as they have made packages just for HI and Alaska.

As I mentioned, a separate issue is why the ones you can get are being blocked.

Last edited:
Of course just to put another nail in our HD coffin, the platinum package gets moved back to 61.5. I think Dish is just messing with us in PR. Maybe we should all change our addresses to state side just to force Dish's
hand

Of course just to put another nail in our HD coffin, the platinum package gets moved back to 61.5. I think Dish is just messing with us in PR. Maybe we should all change our addresses to state side just to force Dish's
hand

At least my father is going to be happy, he receive the platinum pkg free for one year. Even thought the pkg isn't supposed to be available to us. That's Dish management's stupidity again and again and again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)