Dish CSR please comment on mixed arc set-up for Puerto Rico and USVI customers

TonyT@DISH Network said:
Is there signal there?

Tony yes there is signal and blue screen that says not available in your area for the HD channels. The SD channels come in fine.

If you change billing to a new York address the HD come in fine. Since we get them in SD, don't see why we would't get them in HD

Hi Tony
I don't quite get your request. What shows the same thing?

The request I had was for everyone affected to check signal strength on satellite 110, transponder 19. The two channels that you are missing are available on that satellite, from that transponder. Both the Master Engineering list (channel/sat/orbital/mapdown list) and "TheList" here on Satguys shows this to be correct. Therefore, if you can get the signal from that satellite and transponder, half the battle is over. The other half should be corrected on my end.

If you change billing to a new York address the HD come in fine. Since we get them in SD, don't see why we would't get them in HD

That is my thinking as well. Typically messages about being "out of area" are related to zip codes, on a per channel basis. If a zip code is not in the "authorized" list, it will not have permission for the channel, and you would receive that message. My thinking is that I can correct that issue. It may take me some time, but I believe it can be done.

The request I had was for everyone affected to check signal strength on satellite 110, transponder 19. The two channels that you are missing are available on that satellite, from that transponder. Both the Master Engineering list (channel/sat/orbital/mapdown list) and "TheList" here on Satguys shows this to be correct. Therefore, if you can get the signal from that satellite and transponder, half the battle is over. The other half should be corrected on my end.

Tony
Thanks for the clarification. Now it is clear to me what was "showing the same thing".

Anytime. I read it and realized it did not really come across clear to me either. DOH! I'll work on that.

BTW, I have an update, even though its not so much progress, yet. I IM'd a friend of mine that I figured could help on the missing channels issue. He is looking into it further from his end, as well. I will try and keep updates moving on this regularly.

TonyT@DISH Network said:
Actually I could use a bit of help as of right now.. Anyone affected, could you try channel 9481 for me really quickly and see what you get?

I down graded to welcome so no longer have HD, but in the past 9481 showed the same thing ' not available in your area'

TonyT@DISH Network said:

That is my thinking as well. Typically messages about being "out of area" are related to zip codes, on a per channel basis. If a zip code is not in the "authorized" list, it will not have permission for the channel, and you would receive that message. My thinking is that I can correct that issue. It may take me some time, but I believe it can be done.

By the way we are missing 4 HD channels

TonyT@DISH Network said:
Which channels? What numbers? I am working on this right now, so I am trying to get all the information rather then trying to fix it in parts.

It has already been posted in this thread several times, but here you go

327 The Movie Channel HD (East)
340 Encore HD (East)
351 Starz HD (West)
352 Starz Edge HD

Satellite 110 / Transponder 19 Signal 70

Which channels? What numbers? I am working on this right now, so I am trying to get all the information rather then trying to fix it in parts.

Satellite 110 / Transponder 19 Signal 70 / CBS-C 152 red on guide / planet Green 194 OK BUT free preview / WGN Chicago 239 ok / TMC-E 327 attention 743 / ENCORE-E 340 attention 743/ STARZ-W 351 no show on guide but before was attention 743 / STARZ EDGE 352 no show on guide but before was attention 743 /CI 368 i dont know non-Subscription

Last edited:
Sorry to crap in the middle of a thread I've not participated in and have no first hand knowledge of (don't live in PR or VI), but this statement you made just jumps out at me.

For a national channel, there is no conceivable reason that any zip code would not be authorized for it. Any such limitation is completely artificial. Just authorize all national channels for all zip codes and be done with it. If the user can get the transponder, the channel shows up. End of story. All the other technical explanations are just making it more complicated than it has to be.

Last edited:
it may have to do with contracts and rights that are negotiated.

Which may turn out why some channels are allowed in SD but not HD. Make sense? Only from the viewpoint of someone trying to squeeze satcos and their customers for every nickle.

I suppose it's possible that somebody has a "CONUS" contract that specifically excludes PR but I doubt seriously it would affect half the channels in a premium movie package.

If they don't get a resolution soon, my recommendation would be for anybody living in PR to change the service address on their account, i.e. "move" to the mainland.

That very well could be the reason. When MLB negotiates the rights to early rounds of the baseball play offs it is fairly typical that we don't get the first rounds as we aren't part of the 50 states.

Sports leagues and movie studios aren't the only ones that screw us over. We send young men and women to fight as members of the US Armed Forces yet we can't vote for President and our Congressional delegate doesn't have a vote in Congress.

Jim

For a national channel, there is no conceivable reason that any zip code would not be authorized for it. Any such limitation is completely artificial. Just authorize all national channels for all zip codes and be done with it. If the user can get the transponder, the channel shows up. End of story. All the other technical explanations are just making it more complicated than it has to be.

There is nothing technical to the problem, however there is a order in which we must conduct business. We can't just "make a change" without getting cleared to make it. Three things could happen: 1-We lose our job. I love this forum, but I will not sacrifice my income or my children being able to eat over missing channels. 2- The channels go missing again because there is nothing supporting that the channels should be there to begin with. That just makes everyone experience it all over. 3- All of the above. I am pretty sure no matter your line of work, there is an order in which things must happen to make sure its done right. My favorite quote is "If there is not enough time to do it right, how is there enough time to do it over?"

I suppose it's possible that somebody has a "CONUS" contract that specifically excludes PR but I doubt seriously it would affect half the channels in a premium movie package.

My thoughts exactly, shared by my colleague who is also working this issue from the other end. This issue is being dealt with.

If they don't get a resolution soon, my recommendation would be for anybody living in PR to change the service address on their account, i.e. "move" to the mainland.

While its a suggestion that would temporarily fix an issue, I am pretty sure DISH would notice suddenly not having any PR/VI subscribers (somewhere in the hundred-thousand range) because they all moved state-side at the same time. Telling people to fake an address is a terrible suggestion as it could trigger an audit and "brick" a lot of boxes. I am handling this and expect the issue resolved soon, so please refrain from promoting dishonesty.

That very well could be the reason. When MLB negotiates the rights to early rounds of the baseball play offs it is fairly typical that we don't get the first rounds as we aren't part of the 50 states.

thats the same with Fox MLB Game of the week. I know the Fox station in Puerto Rico cannot show those games so they get other programming

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts