Dish CSR please comment on mixed arc set-up for Puerto Rico and USVI customers

Since dbs2000 is to mad to answer

dbs2000 what are you doing for TV service now?

What alternatives are available? I don't know about satellite services and whats available on the island. I would love to learn more!

Puerto Rico gets satellite service from Directv La and Claro TV (both with limited HD channels)and if you get into the hassle of buying equipment you could get Sky Mexico. Right now cable is the best option with more Hd channels than Dish and cheaper too. Cable isn't a option for me because I live in a rural area. If Dish doesn't wake up, I will probably go for Sky Mexico or Netflix.

The only think I'm sure is, that many people will follow dbs2000 decision.

dbs2000 what are you doing for TV service now?

What alternatives are available? I don't know about satellite services and whats available on the island. I would love to learn more!

Hey Scott, this is what we have in the Virgin Islands. Innovative_home. No HD, boxes have Svid out. A while back we had wireless TV from Choice, but they got out of that business and went over to 4g wifi internet and phone, so at least we now have high speed internet. I down graded to the welcome package until Dish takes some action. I catch the shows I miss on Hulu.

Puerto Rico gets satellite service from Directv La and Claro TV (both with limited HD channels)and if you get into the hassle of buying equipment you could get Sky Mexico. Right now cable is the best option with more Hd channels than Dish and cheaper too. Cable isn't a option for me because I live in a rural area. If Dish doesn't wake up, I will probably go for Sky Mexico or Netflix.

You might want to read this with reference to Netflix, as they screw us a swell

Netflix Can't Decide Whether Puerto Rico Is In The USA - The Consumerist

Well said, DISHNETWORK GET THE HELL OUT OF PUERTO RICO. Thieves NOT ALLOWED. I see an FTA in my future along with OTA and all FREE and 192.00 left over for myself not to mention all the time spent as if I was begging thru the e-mails to CEO including a call to Headquarters in Colorado, techs and more techs. I have just had it.

Again DISH, since I know you read these posts, GET OUT OF PUERTO RICO.

You might want to read this with reference to Netflix, as they screw us a swell

Netflix Can't Decide Whether Puerto Rico Is In The USA - The Consumerist

I was talking about the mail service, I used to have it and it was quite good. Politicians are working on Netflix and Amazon steaming services, anyway my internet speed is not that fast. The good thing about living in PR its that everyone wants to get in this market. Cellphone providers are a good example, even ATT has to lower their prices to compete. As soon as other companies offer their services. the others (netfix, etc.) will move in the right direction. Dish is the only company that doesn't get it, and it will lose customers for that.

So are you saying that once they finish all the moves on the 61.5 - 72.7 and move everyone else to an EA/WA set up then they might get around to freeing up some space on the 110/119 for us to get a few more HD channels.

I also find it interesting that Dish is complaining about LIN for price gouging, yet everyone else who pays $59.99 gets top 200 channels We down here for the same price we have to go with the gold and settle for 85 Channels.
Yes that is Charlie Idea!

And why is that?????????????????????? You want to sub to the AEP with no HD. Are you friend of Mr. Thief??? OOOPS Ergen.

BOYCOTT DISHNETWORK IN PUERTO RICO.

Come on man Scott is trying to help man he does not know our situation with Dish! Evertbody new in PR that this was going to happen and I doibt thatalot of people are going to leave Dish for other company I have bben with Dish since 1998 and I am not happy about the situation but it is what it is! Such is Life!

Come on man Scott is trying to help man he does not know our situation with Dish! Evertbody new in PR that this was going to happen and I doibt thatalot of people are going to leave Dish for other company I have bben with Dish since 1998 and I am not happy about the situation but it is what it is! Such is Life!

I know dbs2000 was hard on Scott, but your laid back actitude towards this situation is worse. I have respect for you and I have learn a lot from your posts over the years but your lack of commitment dissapoints me. You gave dish your money and loyalty for 13 years, what has Dish given you? I been with Dish for ten, I pay $800 dollars for a 6' channel master dish and Dishplayer, over the years I have bought all my receivers. I pay more money every year just waiting for Dish to better their fleet and give us all the channels we paid for, and when they get 3 sats with excellent coverage they screw us.

I have to admit that I have taken this very personal, if Dish doesn't fix this, I will bash them till I die. Thank god for emails and facebook.

Nel I got nothing personal against you, you are still my pal.:)

in the US Virgin Islands Dish is really the only good option available for video services. The local incumbent CATV provider's former owner was a scammer and because he thought he had a monopoly didn't bother upgrading the system. The system on St Croix is a one way 400Mhz system. Certain channels have been digitalized so more than 54 channels can be provided. No HD, no DVR, high prices, picture quality is poor on many channels, outages were frequent and their customer service was worse than bad.

Choice offered a multi point microwave delivered system because of the terrain the service wasn't available everywhere. Choice never had enough customers to make the business profitable so they decided to concentrate on offering data services and discontinued video.

Direct offers there Latin American service in the USVI, however unlike Puerto Rico the offical language in the USVI is English so the Spanish language programming is something the majority of the people want.

Streaming video is not an option as high speed internet is 750Kbs and costs $49.95 per month. Netflix won't permit movies to be streamed directly to the USVI so the only solution is to use a VPN which further reduces the speed of your internet connection.

When Dish with its new satellite/spot beams began offering HD programming, DVRs, etc in the USVI last summer using a 30" dish they were an immediate hit. Would it be nice to have network affiliates in the packages instead of having to pay $3.49 each for SD channels and have more HD programming yes, but given the options most Dish subscribers I know are more than satisfied.

So while we may be getting screwed Dish is by far the best choice.

Jim

jimdandyvi said:
in the US Virgin Islands Dish is really the only good option available for video services. The local incumbent CATV provider's former owner was a scammer and because he thought he had a monopoly didn't bother upgrading the system. The system on St Croix is a one way 400Mhz system. Certain channels have been digitalized so more than 54 channels can be provided. No HD, no DVR, high prices, picture quality is poor on many channels, outages were frequent and their customer service was worse than bad.

Choice offered a multi point microwave delivered system because of the terrain the service wasn't available everywhere. Choice never had enough customers to make the business profitable so they decided to concentrate on offering data services and discontinued video.

Direct offers there Latin American service in the USVI, however unlike Puerto Rico the offical language in the USVI is English so the Spanish language programming is something the majority of the people want.

Streaming video is not an option as high speed internet is 750Kbs and costs $49.95 per month. Netflix won't permit movies to be streamed directly to the USVI so the only solution is to use a VPN which further reduces the speed of your internet connection.

When Dish with its new satellite/spot beams began offering HD programming, DVRs, etc in the USVI last summer using a 30" dish they were an immediate hit. Would it be nice to have network affiliates in the packages instead of having to pay $3.49 each for SD channels and have more HD programming yes, but given the options most Dish subscribers I know are more than satisfied.

So while we may be getting screwed Dish is by far the best choice.

Jim

The last thing we want though is Dish to think it is the only game in town like innovative did. We should demand the same quality of service state side people get, if your a national provider it should the same for every one.

By the way have you checked out Choice 4G service, 3 gigs no problem, had 6 until I was down graded for them to do upgrades

I know dbs2000 was hard on Scott, but your laid back actitude towards this situation is worse. I have respect for you and I have learn a lot from your posts over the years but your lack of commitment dissapoints me. You gave dish your money and loyalty for 13 years, what has Dish given you? I been with Dish for ten, I pay $800 dollars for a 6' channel master dish and Dishplayer, over the years I have bought all my receivers. I pay more money every year just waiting for Dish to better their fleet and give us all the channels we paid for, and when they get 3 sats with excellent coverage they screw us.

I have to admit that I have taken this very personal, if Dish doesn't fix this, I will bash them till I die. Thank god for emails and facebook.

Nel I got nothing personal against you, you are still my pal.:)

I respect all of your guys opinion but I know there will be good things down the future from Dish that I cannot tell now in time I would tell. We have been waiting all of these years and now Charlie is starting to givinig us the Respect PR owns for all of you guys out there PR is one of the top 3 sellers in all of the 50 states he is not stupid that is the way that Dish works! I am pissed off to but that's part of being a Dish customer but still I rather be with them and there will be good stuff ahead of us from dish! Such is Life!

Last edited:
neljtorres said:
I respect all of your guys opinion but I know there will be good things down the future from Dish that I cannot tell now in time I would tell. We have been waiting all of these years and now Charlie is starting to givinig us the Respect PR owns for all of you guys out there PR is one of the top 3 sellers in all of the 50 states he is not stupid that is the way that Dish works! I am pissed off to but that's part of being a Dish customer but still I rather be with them and there will be good stuff ahead of us from dish! Such is Life!to

No offense, but been on so many forums where people post, something is going to happen but I can't talk about it. I doubt you have an NDA with Dish that stops you from posting. The whole idea of a forum is to divulge knowledge

The last thing we want though is Dish to think it is the only game in town like innovative did. We should demand the same quality of service state side people get, if your a national provider it should the same for every one.

By the way have you checked out Choice 4G service, 3 gigs no problem, had 6 until I was down graded for them to do upgrades

I'm not sure I get that answer.... So Dish shouldn't upgrade and be the best in PR because everyone will want Dish and then Dish will think they are the only game in Town??

Further, it just isn't always possible to offer in PR, AK, and HI what they can offer in the Continental US without launching a whole new set of satellites.....

No offense, but been on so many forums where people post, something is going to happen but I can't talk about it. I doubt you have an NDA with Dish that stops you from posting. The whole idea of a forum is to divulge knowledge

I have been here since 2005 and I have been giving alot of Dish information here for the PR custormers I have been privileged to watch a couple of Retailer chats that has PR information and Scott Satelliteguys.us owner has asked me to translate the information and I don't work with Dish but I am a couple of ones from PR that gets hot information and new information about when new channels are going to go up pretty soon the Storefront Networks will be launching in HD the feed is at G16@99 it was supposed to de on December but storefront has had problem. So there is a couple of us here form PR that have good information and post it in satelliteguys.us. There is a couple of them here that have become my friends and we exchange alot of information and post it here. Why you think that Scott was asking for me for this issue I knew this mess was going to happen we have been discussing this mess since last year Technoguy, TomP, VC, Donato, Rajamarie,rvdowiski and a couple of more have been talking about this problem. So there wil be good stuff out there and Dish will be the HD leader in PR and yes the Distants Network HD channels will be back!

Tampa8 said:
I'm not sure I get that answer.... So Dish shouldn't upgrade and be the best in PR because everyone will want Dish and then Dish will think they are the only game in Town??

Further, it just isn't always possible to offer in PR, AK, and HI what they can offer in the Continental US without launching a whole new set of satellites.....

Then they shouldn't be charging the same price. I believe HI and AK gets more channels then we do.

My point was if they offer slightly better service then the other guy that's good enough. A lot harder for them state side as you have decent cable companies that they have to compete against

I tried I tried their 4G service. Returned the radio within the thirty day trial period. Speeds were good when they were good but other times really slow. Apparently the network could not handle the traffic in peak times so that is why Choice eliminated the 5Mbs service. Latency was alway terrible. 600ms wasn't uncommon. Compared to BBVI their technical support was terrible.

Jim

I guess you didn't read all the posts, dish has the sat capacity, they just don't want to used. To insult us even more there are HD channels on 110 that everybody in the Caribbean has access to and they blocked those channels with no reason at all. I pay for the Starz pkg but I dont receive Encore Hd and Starz Edge Hd when both channels are on 110. I pay the same as you and receive less. Let me say this again. ITS NOT A TECHNICAL PROBLEM, DISH CAN GIVE WHAT WE PAY FOR, IT JUST THAT THEY DON'T WANT TO.

I guess you didn't read all the posts, dish has the sat capacity, they just don't want to used. To insult us even more there are HD channels on 110 that everybody in the Caribbean has access to and they blocked those channels with no reason at all. I pay for the Starz pkg but I dont receive Encore Hd and Starz Edge Hd when both channels are on 110. I pay the same as you and receive less. Let me say this again. ITS NOT A TECHNICAL PROBLEM, DISH CAN GIVE WHAT WE PAY FOR, IT JUST THAT THEY DON'T WANT TO.

Nobody has given a reasonable explanation of why not put the missing HD of PR packages on 61.5. I do not see a near future footprint upgrade to sats 72.7 or 129 so I think dish is treating us as 3rd world. And we are 3rd in sales statewide!!! And the problem is that if you cant access the Liberty cable service because of location you don't have another real alternative. If we get special spotbeams on 119 and 110 for HD why not leave the missing HD on 61.5 and make it accessible according to your package. PR have always used two dishes (one for 119 and another one for 110). Why can't we use two dishes now? One for 61.5 and one for 119/110. It is just not reasonable. Dish all we are asking for is equity. We pay the same and still have channels not accessible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts