Dish Customer Service Appalling-Glad I left

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm a stickler about accuracy, otherwise I wouldn't even have posted in this thread. The OP makes a blanket statement about "being the worst" in customer service because they charged shipping fees and hung up on him twice. Well, with the online chat feature and the inception of DIRT, their CS is much better than it used to be, and even slightly better than average, all things considered. That is all.

Oh, and I will say that I agree that the shipping fees are bush league, just to keep from being labeled with a scarlet fanboy.

The problem is, with the average customer they do not know about the online chat feature or DIRT. Now, this guy has been a member on here for a long time. He either doesn't spend much time here to know better or he's just not that smart.

I think it's legitimate to point out when a company charges a fee that other companies don't.

Directv and most cable companies don't charge you to ship their equipment back if you cancel. In Directv's case, it's an apples to apples comparison- both satellite companies, both want you to ship equipment back when you cancel, one pays them shipping cost themselves and the other doesn't.

In the case of cable companies, they usually have local offices where you have to drop equipment off, and Dish doesn't have local offices, *but* it is interesting that Dish finds a way to get you the equipment to begin with through a local person and yet doesn't have the same local person pick the equipment up when you cancel or let you drop off the equipment at wherever his office is.

People can argue that the charge is justified or that it's not all they want, but what is going to stick out to many consumers is two things. The first thing is that this is a charge that's unique to Dish (And thus is a negative to be considered when choosing a provider). The second thing is that this is a charge that hits when you've cancelled your service, which one often does because one can no longer afford it, which makes it a double whammy, or when one is moving and having to deal with a bunch of other expenses.

The other thing that comes into play is the pure logistics of getting the shipping label and box (In my case, they were not shipped at all, and I only became aware of that because I followed up to see what was going on), packaging them up, getting them to the local parcel place, and getting them mailed up, which often comes as you are trying to get a bunch of things done for a move or whatever. I'm already on like day 14 after cancelling and don't have the label and box in hand yet. I'm glad my move got delayed (Well, not in general, just when it comes to this specific issue), because otherwise I'd have had to take the equipment with me to mail out or have bought my own box and addressed my own label. Had I simply not followed up and forgotten in the general chaos, I would have never received a box or label, because they weren't sent when they should have been, and been charged for equipment and gotten a big fat overdraft fee and maybe not had money I need to eat or pull off the move. Now when and if the label and box do finally arrive, I will have to get them turned around and out the door very quickly to avoid that.

You contrast that with the cable company where, when I quit, I simply drove a few blocks to the local office a day or two, dropped the equipment off, and took a receipt home- no charge. The cable company actually (Granted a few months later) mailed me a check. So, yeah, the cable experience was better there. Less potential balls to get dropped on their end, less potential balls for me to drop on my end, an easier simpler process, and *no charge*.

Of course, signing up for Dish was easy as pie and signing up for cable the last time I did turned into a long involved saga that wound up as an article in the Consumerist. So, to the guy that said all these companies have issues, that is absolutely true. However, I don't think the fact that "they all have issues" is a good reason to bar people from complaining. They don't all have *the same* issues. Cable is harder to get started with, Dish is harder to leave, in my experience, for example.

All of these companies can do better. But the guy who started the thread is dealing with Dish right now, so of course he is going to be talking about Dish. And, you know, this was not a fee Dish had when he signed up or I signed up. We signed up thinking we'd be able to mail our equipment back for free should we ever have to/decide to cancel. They changed that on us midstream.

I wasn't going to complain about this. My thread down the page is purely about logistics and delivered in a non-complaining "How do I get this done?" sort of way. However, I see all these people piling on this poor guy who has, I feel, a fair complaint, and I felt like I should jump in and defend him.

Also, just looking at this from the perspective of Dish as a business, I think it might be one of those things that they aren't thinking through long-term. They save like $20 a customer as said customer leaves. But how many of those customers *would have* come back and paid Dish tons of money for years to come if not for their last memory with Dish being unpleasant? A lot of people just cancel because they can't afford TV for a while, are moving temporarily to a place where they can't get a good line of sight or are splitting a television bill, want to explore other television options for a while (Many see how the cable company is in their new town, etc.), etc.; and are likely to return. They aren't permanently lost to Dish, at least not necessarily, but this type of nickel and diming at a bad time might be something that they think about when they are considering returning and tilts them toward not returning.

I got an offer after leaving that would have given me $150 worth of credits from television bills if I uncancelled my cancellation and possibly upgraded equipment (It was unclear, they said free HD for life, but I don't know if that came with equipment). So they were ready to spend at least $150 to retain me now, but they couldn't pay $20 to have their own equipment shipped back and be in my good graces in case I consider signing up again later? It's kind of weird, really. In my case, I am not sure this fee will stop me from signing up for Dish again one day, but I know some people it almost certainly does stop, and with me it'll be one of many factors I will consider.

Plus, from Dish's perspective, think about the negative word of mouth this creates. They are the one television company that does this. I mentioned it to a relative of mine, not to complain, just in a general discussion about the logistics of moving, and I could visibly see that he was shocked and appalled and then he asked me what company it was, presumably to make sure he doesn't do business with them himself in the future. This is the same company that sends out all those "refer a friend" cards to subscribers several times a year. And I'm not even actively trying to complain or spread bad word of mouth, I just happened to mention it while discussing other things. The guy who started this thread and people like him are probably actively complaining loudly to everyone they know. But Dish is saving a $20 one-time expense. I don't see how it's worth it to them given the bad will and bad word of mouth it creates.

Many years ago when I signed up with Dish there was definitely a value proposition. Later they started to get HD and many people like me did not like the service from my cable company. Over the past few years I put up with their channel disputes with providers. I was paying for everything but not getting these channels while they were disputed contracts. AMC was the longest outage. I had my bills going way up and Dish taking away various benefits pricewise. I decided to leave. I just got a bill they charged me for the return shipping on the receivers. I did call and was disconnected twice by their offshore reps. That company is the absolute worst IMHO. Considering the fact I was paying them full load for the past ten+ yrs I could not imagine being charged the return shipping. No matter I will tell everyone I know and then some not to get involved involved with them. They keep sending me emails to get me back. Never again.

I'm not taking the time to read all the replies...but you do know it says right in the service agreement you sign before getting service that there is a charge to.return.equipment.....

Its kind of like aperson getting pissed about being charged for too many miles on a leased car...it says so.right in the agreement

When I returned two Joeys, keeping my 2 Hoppers, I was told I'd have to pay the $17 apiece, even though I was still a customer. Thankfully, they did not actually charge me.

It would seem counterproductive to charge people terminating service, leaving a bad taste in their mouth. Maybe they think it'll discourage switching every two years?

That's why you always use DIRT. DIRT was clear and concise, the $17 fee only applies to those that are closing their account. If it weren't for DIRT, I'd probably say that Dish's CS is not anything to brag about.

Yepp ^^^^

Other pc of amusement is getting flyers to sign up in the mail, when you already have the service. Dish and D* do that too...

Nitpicking here, but those flyers in the mail are almost always NOT from Dish itself, but one of the authorized national retailers. My biggest pet peeve with them is the offer for internet at something like $14.95/mo. The fine print is clear that it's starting at $14.95, and depends on availability, but people don't seem to be able to read fine print or contracts any more.

Said national retailers will let the customer think that Dish is the one providing the $14.95 internet, and then those folks call in yelling about why their $14.95 internet hasn't been installed yet. They're referred to the national retailer to ask where it's at. Then, when the customer calls that national retailer, and presses the button that they're an existing customer, they get routed back over to the 800-333-3474 Dish line.

Half the problem is the national retailers can be sleazy. The other half is how many people don't spend the first second actually reading the contract they have signed.

Nitpicking here, but those flyers in the mail are almost always NOT from Dish itself, but one of the authorized national retailers. My biggest pet peeve with them is the offer for internet at something like $14.95/mo. The fine print is clear that it's starting at $14.95, and depends on availability, but people don't seem to be able to read fine print or contracts any more.

Said national retailers will let the customer think that Dish is the one providing the $14.95 internet, and then those folks call in yelling about why their $14.95 internet hasn't been installed yet. They're referred to the national retailer to ask where it's at. Then, when the customer calls that national retailer, and presses the button that they're an existing customer, they get routed back over to the 800-333-3474 Dish line.

Half the problem is the national retailers can be sleazy. The other half is how many people don't spend the first second actually reading the contract they have signed.

Every job I did this week, nobody even glanced at the print of the contract...."where do I sign?".

Every job I did this week, nobody even glanced at the print of the contract...."where do I sign?".

And how many people read terms of service agreements for software,games,access to internet sites,cell phone service,electric service providers, land line phone service,medical services,insurances,credit card providers,etc............. Most every TOS agreement I've read says they can do whatever they want,they are responsible for nothing,they can change the TOS whenever and however they want. You have 2 choices, sign or don't(and don't get product or service). We as consumers really don't get to debate a TOS with a service or product provider. Discussions like this one helps to enlighten the consumer as to who is consumer friendly and who are not. I guess its "buyer beware".

HanoverPretzel
"In the case of cable companies, they usually have local offices where you have to drop equipment off, and Dish doesn't have local offices, *but* it is interesting that Dish finds a way to get you the equipment to begin with through a local person and yet doesn't have the same local person pick the equipment up when you cancel or let you drop off the equipment at wherever his office is."

There is actually a good reason for it and it comes down to who is responsible for that equipment. Once a receiver is activated at a customers home it is no longer the retailers of techs, it is Dish's. If the customer brought the receiver back to a retailer or tech then that customer would be relying on them getting it return to Dish. If that receiver does not get back to Dish the customer would get charged and that customer would be pissed. The is no return process available for retailers.

Sometimes we will have customers come in with a receiver because they just canceled and tell us to take it. Some even have the receiver in the box with the shipping label. We will not ship back receivers for customers because we are not responsible for it, they are. If I took the receiver, mailed it to Dish and somehow Dish did not receive it that customer would end up getting billed from Dish. That customer is now going to blame me for what happened when it's not my fault. Generally that's what the customer is looking for though, a way to get rid of responsibility and place blame on someone else if things go wrong.

I'm not taking the time to read all the replies...but you do know it says right in the service agreement you sign before getting service that there is a charge to.return.equipment......

Except that this is a relatively new charge. The contracts most people leaving signed were signed before there was such a charge, so they could have read every line of their initial agreement and it wouldn't have been in there. Granted, it legally would be covered by "Terms and conditions subject to change at any time" or somesuch, but you can't blame people for objecting to random terms that they couldn't have foreseen beyond the fact that these contracts are written to cover whatever changes the corporation wants to make while not allowing the consumer to make his or her own changes. They're very one-sided, in that sense. And, sure, people could refuse to sign, but it's not like companies will then fall back and negotiate, you just won't get service- for almost anything.

I've had install people and service people and the like (I can't remember if Dish was one of them) literally hand me an electronic tablet with nothing but a signature line on it and an electronic pen to sign. "Where are the terms and conditions I'm agreeing to by signing this?", I'll ask, and they'll shrug and say they don't know, but I have to sign, or that I'll get them in mail later *after* signing that I agree to them, but that they can't do anything without having the signature in advance. I don't remember if I had to sign for Dish, but I do remember I got the contract in the mail much later with little "x"s where my signatures weren't, because I'd never signed the thing, or seen it in my life, but apparently was bound to it.

When I do get a contract laid out in front of me, someone usually flips to the last page, points and/or marks the signature line, and says "Sign here.". Their jaws drop and they sometimes even start giving me guff when I flip back to the first page and try to at least skim it before signing.

There is actually a good reason for it and it comes down to who is responsible for that equipment. Once a receiver is activated at a customers home it is no longer the retailers of techs, it is Dish's. If the customer brought the receiver back to a retailer or tech then that customer would be relying on them getting it return to Dish. If that receiver does not get back to Dish the customer would get charged and that customer would be pissed. The is no return process available for retailers.

Sometimes we will have customers come in with a receiver because they just canceled and tell us to take it. Some even have the receiver in the box with the shipping label. We will not ship back receivers for customers because we are not responsible for it, they are. If I took the receiver, mailed it to Dish and somehow Dish did not receive it that customer would end up getting billed from Dish. That customer is now going to blame me for what happened when it's not my fault. Generally that's what the customer is looking for though, a way to get rid of responsibility and place blame on someone else if things go wrong.

Okay, but Dish could in theory choose to deputize local retailers to receive equipment from former customers on Dish's behalf in the same way they deputize local retailers to distribute and install equipment for new customers on Dish's behalf. They could, but they choose not to. We could discuss the pros and cons of that, but in the end it's something Dish could do and doesn't, and thus if a customer doesn't like it, it is fair for them to assign the responsibility to Dish, which corporately did make the decision. I'm sure it at least crossed the corporate offices minds that local retailers could be given scanning equipment and tasked with doing equipment return intake. It is undoubtedly a calculated business decision that things are done the way they are, good or bad.

Sherrman, why was the tech who installed my Hopper system able to take all of my VIP equipment that I had before the install? I did not get charged for it and I was not asked to ship it back. Seems there could be some stream in that direction possible if they really wanted to set it up. One other thing, the guy who did my install travelled almost 70 miles to my location, yet he was still able to take my equipment. I would probably pay the $20 at today's gas prices rather than drive 140 miles round trip to drop equipment to the installer.

I'm not saying they can't take the equipment. We can take it too but we choose not to since it just leaves us open to problems.

I think it's legitimate to point out when a company charges a fee that other companies don't.

Directv and most cable companies don't charge you to ship their equipment back if you cancel. In Directv's case, it's an apples to apples comparison- both satellite companies, both want you to ship equipment back when you cancel, one pays them shipping cost themselves and the other doesn't.

In the case of cable companies, they usually have local offices where you have to drop equipment off, and Dish doesn't have local offices, *but* it is interesting that Dish finds a way to get you the equipment to begin with through a local person and yet doesn't have the same local person pick the equipment up when you cancel or let you drop off the equipment at wherever his office is.

People can argue that the charge is justified or that it's not all they want, but what is going to stick out to many consumers is two things. The first thing is that this is a charge that's unique to Dish (And thus is a negative to be considered when choosing a provider). The second thing is that this is a charge that hits when you've cancelled your service, which one often does because one can no longer afford it, which makes it a double whammy, or when one is moving and having to deal with a bunch of other expenses.

The other thing that comes into play is the pure logistics of getting the shipping label and box (In my case, they were not shipped at all, and I only became aware of that because I followed up to see what was going on), packaging them up, getting them to the local parcel place, and getting them mailed up, which often comes as you are trying to get a bunch of things done for a move or whatever. I'm already on like day 14 after cancelling and don't have the label and box in hand yet. I'm glad my move got delayed (Well, not in general, just when it comes to this specific issue), because otherwise I'd have had to take the equipment with me to mail out or have bought my own box and addressed my own label. Had I simply not followed up and forgotten in the general chaos, I would have never received a box or label, because they weren't sent when they should have been, and been charged for equipment and gotten a big fat overdraft fee and maybe not had money I need to eat or pull off the move. Now when and if the label and box do finally arrive, I will have to get them turned around and out the door very quickly to avoid that.

You contrast that with the cable company where, when I quit, I simply drove a few blocks to the local office a day or two, dropped the equipment off, and took a receipt home- no charge. The cable company actually (Granted a few months later) mailed me a check. So, yeah, the cable experience was better there. Less potential balls to get dropped on their end, less potential balls for me to drop on my end, an easier simpler process, and *no charge*.

Of course, signing up for Dish was easy as pie and signing up for cable the last time I did turned into a long involved saga that wound up as an article in the Consumerist. So, to the guy that said all these companies have issues, that is absolutely true. However, I don't think the fact that "they all have issues" is a good reason to bar people from complaining. They don't all have *the same* issues. Cable is harder to get started with, Dish is harder to leave, in my experience, for example.

All of these companies can do better. But the guy who started the thread is dealing with Dish right now, so of course he is going to be talking about Dish. And, you know, this was not a fee Dish had when he signed up or I signed up. We signed up thinking we'd be able to mail our equipment back for free should we ever have to/decide to cancel. They changed that on us midstream.

I wasn't going to complain about this. My thread down the page is purely about logistics and delivered in a non-complaining "How do I get this done?" sort of way. However, I see all these people piling on this poor guy who has, I feel, a fair complaint, and I felt like I should jump in and defend him.

Also, just looking at this from the perspective of Dish as a business, I think it might be one of those things that they aren't thinking through long-term. They save like $20 a customer as said customer leaves. But how many of those customers *would have* come back and paid Dish tons of money for years to come if not for their last memory with Dish being unpleasant? A lot of people just cancel because they can't afford TV for a while, are moving temporarily to a place where they can't get a good line of sight or are splitting a television bill, want to explore other television options for a while (Many see how the cable company is in their new town, etc.), etc.; and are likely to return. They aren't permanently lost to Dish, at least not necessarily, but this type of nickel and diming at a bad time might be something that they think about when they are considering returning and tilts them toward not returning.

I got an offer after leaving that would have given me $150 worth of credits from television bills if I uncancelled my cancellation and possibly upgraded equipment (It was unclear, they said free HD for life, but I don't know if that came with equipment). So they were ready to spend at least $150 to retain me now, but they couldn't pay $20 to have their own equipment shipped back and be in my good graces in case I consider signing up again later? It's kind of weird, really. In my case, I am not sure this fee will stop me from signing up for Dish again one day, but I know some people it almost certainly does stop, and with me it'll be one of many factors I will consider.

Plus, from Dish's perspective, think about the negative word of mouth this creates. They are the one television company that does this. I mentioned it to a relative of mine, not to complain, just in a general discussion about the logistics of moving, and I could visibly see that he was shocked and appalled and then he asked me what company it was, presumably to make sure he doesn't do business with them himself in the future. This is the same company that sends out all those "refer a friend" cards to subscribers several times a year. And I'm not even actively trying to complain or spread bad word of mouth, I just happened to mention it while discussing other things. The guy who started this thread and people like him are probably actively complaining loudly to everyone they know. But Dish is saving a $20 one-time expense. I don't see how it's worth it to them given the bad will and bad word of mouth it creates.

hmm, $20 times a few hundred thousand or more adds up quick and just because you may think about coming back, doesn't mean you will. Look around, most people play the revolving provider game every 2 yrs or less to get new customer deals, so Dish and Direct are out even more money when you decide to come back as a new customer. If people are not happy with the contracts, one sided as they may be, then quit moaning about being taken advantage of and buy the equipment, then you can come and go as you please and not worry about shipping equipment you don't own back. Everyone nowadays thinks everything is a necessity, gotta have cable/sat, gotta have cell phones, gotta have internet, gotta have video consoles etc..... Well its not! Yes, these companies may make billions a year, but it also takes billions a year to try and please everyone that wants stuff done for free. It's not 1950 anymore and with enormous population growth you can't continue to give away services and expect to stay in business.

Sherrman, why was the tech who installed my Hopper system able to take all of my VIP equipment that I had before the install? I did not get charged for it and I was not asked to ship it back. Seems there could be some stream in that direction possible if they really wanted to set it up. One other thing, the guy who did my install travelled almost 70 miles to my location, yet he was still able to take my equipment. I would probably pay the $20 at today's gas prices rather than drive 140 miles round trip to drop equipment to the installer.

Was it a Dish tech or a sub contractor? Everyone is up in arms about it, but by the time you get a box package it and take it somewhere to be dropped it adds up to more than $17 or $20 in time, fuel, packaging and general annoyance. I know my time is worth more than $20 an hour

The ones with Dish's 1-800 number are from Dish. Retailer flyers are often badly made and have a local address and phone number to contact them.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

You want crappy service, come over to my house and listen in on my weekly call to ATT Tech Support when my DSL connection goes. Its pretty ridiculous how bad they are as a company.

hmm, $20 times a few hundred thousand or more adds up quick and just because you may think about coming back, doesn't mean you will. Look around, most people play the revolving provider game every 2 yrs or less to get new customer deals, so Dish and Direct are out even more money when you decide to come back as a new customer. If people are not happy with the contracts, one sided as they may be, then quit moaning about being taken advantage of and buy the equipment, then you can come and go as you please and not worry about shipping equipment you don't own back. Everyone nowadays thinks everything is a necessity, gotta have cable/sat, gotta have cell phones, gotta have internet, gotta have video consoles etc..... Well its not! Yes, these companies may make billions a year, but it also takes billions a year to try and please everyone that wants stuff done for free. It's not 1950 anymore and with enormous population growth you can't continue to give away services and expect to stay in business.

Most of us don't have 400-500 bucks to do that. The only advantages of owning are what you've mentioned. If dish said hey you're more than welcome to own your dvrs and we won't charge you monthly dvr fees then more might do it. At the end of a customers 2 year deal if they don't get a good enough deal to stay then why not leave? I'm all for companies making a profit but you shouldn't have to cancel your service just to then get an offer to be retained as a customer. If they know people jump ship every 2 years then they should do something about it. At the end of their contract send an offer out. Most rely on Internet for paying bills, checking email etc. cell phones to me are a need in case of emergencies for some people.

Status
Please reply by conversation.