Dish Cutting off DishPix Sept. 29

music4praise

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
West Michigan
I got a call from Dish a couple of days ago indicating that they were ending my grandfathered in DishPix (Pick 10) package on Sept. 29. I realize that I am probably one of only two people left with that package, but it is still kind of sad after 13 years. To their credit they are offering me $15/month off for a year on any of the current packages with no contract. As little TV as I watch, I would probably switch to the Welcome Pack that got discontinued earlier this year, but it looks like the cheapest SD at this point is America's Top 120.

If anyone else on this board still has DishPix, I would welcome hearing about your experience. I would also welcome any other comments.

I got a call from Dish a couple of days ago indicating that they were ending my grandfathered in DishPix (Pick 10) package on Sept. 29. I realize that I am probably one of only two people left with that package, but it is still kind of sad after 13 years. To their credit they are offering me $15/month off for a year on any of the current packages with no contract. As little TV as I watch, I would probably switch to the Welcome Pack that got discontinued earlier this year, but it looks like the cheapest SD at this point is America's Top 120.

If anyone else on this board still has DishPix, I would welcome hearing about your experience. I would also welcome any other comments.

DishAmerica (HD only pack) is $29.99/month with locals....not sure if you are interested in that one or not

Dish America actually does not seem horrible with locals, A & E, Cartoon Network, CNBC, CNN, Comedy Central, Discovery, ESPN, ESPN 2, Food Network, HD Theater, HDnet, HGTV, History, Lifetime, Syfy, Spike TV, TBS, TLC, TNT, Travel Channel, USA Network, The Weather Channel, and CMT all in HD from what I understand.

You could even add other options if you like movies. There is Encore Movies a la carte for $5.00. From what I understand, it would include Encore West (341), Encore Westerns (342), Encore Action (343), Encore Mystery (344), Encore Drama (345), and Encore Love (346). It does not seem like a bad deal for $5.

EPIX 3 alone is $7; I do not think that is the best deal. I mean $7 seems like a lot for one channel. Maybe it would be better if it had all the EPIX channels.

However, for $10, you can still add HD Platinum and get MAV TV (361), Universal HD (366), CI HD (368), Centric (371), Logo (373), Fashion TV HD (374), Shorts HD (375), HDNet Movies (383), WFN HD (394), IndiePlex (293), RetroPlex (295), EPIX 1 HD (295), EPIX 2 HD (296), and MGM HD (298). Of course, you already get Palladia (369) and HD Theater (364) as mentioned before. Personally, I like HDNet Movies a lot. EPIX 1 and 2 are pretty good. I catch a good movie from time to time on IndiePlex and RetroPlex. MGM HD has a good movie from time to time but may have a short commercial break between movies (not really horrible but a commercial break...).

Some options:
$29.99 Dish America alone (not sure if you have any extra receivers)
$29.99 + $ 5.00 = $34.99 for Dish America and Encore Movies
$29.99 + $10.00 = $39.99 for Dish America and HD Platinum
$29.99 + $10.00 + $5.00= $44.99 for Dish America, Encore Movies, and HD Platinum

Never heard of that pkg. But, it sounds like they gave you a good long ride with it.

And I thought I was the only one still subscribing to DishPix. Got DishPix along with distant networks back in 1999 for my vacation home in the boonies where OTA wasn't, and still isn't, available.

Haven't received a call from Dish yet, but if Top 120 is the cheapest package now, it looks like I'll lose Bravo and AMC and pay more than $100 a year for the privilege, even with the discount. Or I might just pay the minimum to keep the account active (is that still $7/mo?). Either way I plan to keep the distant nets from Sobongo and PBS-XD.

I have a Dish America Silver HD account at my regular residence.

E is trying to move EVERYONE to higher cost packages, just like absolute if enough cancel at the beginning of the conversion they may just stop and leave it be. E has churn issues, for a wide variety of reasons...

Those with DishPix would assume your using older non Hd equipment, right? Would they treat you like a new customer offering new equipment and new customer offerings?

E is trying to move EVERYONE to higher cost packages, just like absolute if enough cancel at the beginning of the conversion they may just stop and leave it be. E has churn issues, for a wide variety of reasons...

At least Dish has lower cost packages. The cheapest package from Directv is almost $60 unless you are a new customer.

they will likewly be generous if you agree to a upgrade with 2 year contract.

today far too many companes want everyone under contract....

once tied in they can change asnything at any time. basically you are screwed

No contract now. Never had one. Never will.

Been a Dish customer since almost day 1. Had to purchase equipment at that time and then pay with credit card - in advance, with NO auto-billing. Still don't have auto-billing either. When I pay with a credit card, either on the phone or on the INTERNET, I use a "disposable" credit card number. AMEX and VISA offer them. They work ONCE, then they don't work again.

Everything gets paid via CHECK.

I do not have a contract with my cell phone provider, either.

Simply do not believe in them.

No contract now. Never had one. Never will.

Been a Dish customer since almost day 1. Had to purchase equipment at that time and then pay with credit card - in advance, with NO auto-billing. Still don't have auto-billing either. When I pay with a credit card, either on the phone or on the INTERNET, I use a "disposable" credit card number. AMEX and VISA offer them. They work ONCE, then they don't work again.

Everything gets paid via CHECK.

I do not have a contract with my cell phone provider, either.

Simply do not believe in them.

me neither, thats one reason i bought all my boxes, and made a profit on some too.

i have no contracts on anything

I wonder if this means that those that had the Welcome Package or Family Package and was grandfathered in, if they will be able to keep their packages for a while longer or if they will also be forced to upgrade their package soon as well.

it appears E wants to convert all lower priced subs to more profitable ones.

pure beancounter move.

their goal was likely to raise average sub price 10%.... thats considered about the biggest tolerable yearly increase for anything.......

Alright, Bob I've resisted this a long time, but you are now the second person on my ignore list. Dish is, for a lot of us, the cheapest provider, but all you can do is whine about Dish, even though you no longer are no longer a sub. Just be quiet already! Go post in the Comcast forum, since that is now your provider.

As for the loss of DishPix, too bad, sounded like an awesome pack. I wish I could pick the channels I want. But programmers are just screwing us out of being able to chose.

And I thought I was the only one still subscribing to DishPix. Got DishPix along with distant networks back in 1999 for my vacation home in the boonies where OTA wasn't, and still isn't, available.

Haven't received a call from Dish yet, but if Top 120 is the cheapest package now, it looks like I'll lose Bravo and AMC and pay more than $100 a year for the privilege, even with the discount. Or I might just pay the minimum to keep the account active (is that still $7/mo?). Either way I plan to keep the distant nets from Sobongo and PBS-XD.

I have a Dish America Silver HD account at my regular residence.
I guess you must be the second person I mentioned in my first post. :) It is still curious that you haven't received a phone call. They called again today and left a message while I was at work. I hope someone else with DishPix will chime in as well. Maybe they are just looking for suckers and I should ignore them.

DixPix was cool. This was way back when it was AT40. You could pick any 10 stations (except Disney) for $10. I've got an old chart from 96 from a dealer that shows it

AT40 at the time( obviously names have changed)
A&E
Cartoon
CNBC
CNN
CNNI
CNN FN
Comedy
CMT
Court
C-Span
Discovery
E!
ESPN
ESPN2
EWTN
Family Channel
CNN HN
History
HGTV
HSN
Learning
Lifetime
Nashville Network (now Spike)
Nick
QVC
Sci Fi
TBN
TBS
TNT
Travel
TCM
Food Network
USA
VH1
Weather
WGN
WPIX (yes they were in the package)
KTLA (yes they were in the package)

I wouldnt mind ESPN, ESPN2, TBS, WGN, WPIX, KTLA, USA, CourtTV, WGN, and TNT for $10 :)

Last edited:
Hey whatever......

Today its me and fees, tomorrow its someone else that E tries to stick it too.

Tomorrow it may be YOU......

Worse all providers learn from one another.

On how to maximize revenue.

People who dont get upset set the pace for everyone to get worked over:(

I wonder if this means that those that had the Welcome Package or Family Package and was grandfathered in, if they will be able to keep their packages for a while longer or if they will also be forced to upgrade their package soon as well.

No more Welcome and Family Package means it is time to switch.

Any info on what other packages/channels no longer available on Sept 29th? So far, I know some single international channels or smaller package will not be available and Dish want customers to subscribe to even higher price channels

DixPix was cool. This was way back when it was AT40. You could pick any 10 stations (except Disney) for $10. I've got an old chart from 96 from a dealer that shows it

I never heard of DishPix. The cheapest package on the website was Dish Family. Then, I heard of Welcome Package. DishPix seems even better when you can choose the channels you want. ESPN will be on my list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts