DISH Debuts Hands-Free TV on Hopper DVR with Amazon Alexa

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Well bought me two of the Fire Tv stick devices for $39.99 each. Activated and set them up very quickly. They work as good as the joey 2.0 did and they will serve the purpose well on two tvs that are rarely used, except when I am in the computer room or my son is watching something from the CW during regular tv season. The Alexa remote doesn't quite work that well for commands. Half the time it doesn't hear them. Called DISH and disabled my two Joey 2.0 receivers. But at least I cut my DISH bill down by $14.00 a month and now my bill is under $93.00 a month. So it might take 6 months to recoup the cost of the two fire tv sticks, but after then no more fees.

Alexa is a nice hands free short cut for the BASICS, but it will (IMO) never be as task-detailed as you would like. It's a nice little PERK!
Then they should remove the ability to start a recorded series with Alexa. There is no point in being able to do it if you have to grab the remote and switch episodes every time.

Then they should remove the ability to start a recorded series with Alexa. There is no point in being able to do it if you have to grab the remote and switch episodes every time.

The Alexa interface has just gotten off the ground. Like all new tech intro's, they are baby stepping and hopefully the ability/tasks will develop. But as I said before, this is an innovative PERK from Dish and Amazon. Complain if you must, but it is what it is for now. There we no promises that that Alexa would ever provide the same level of control as your remote.

Reactions: JSheridan and DWS44
The Alexa interface has just gotten off the ground. Like all new tech intro's, they are baby stepping and hopefully the ability/tasks will develop. But as I said before, this is an innovative PERK from Dish and Amazon. Complain if you must, but it is what it is for now. There we no promises that that Alexa would ever provide the same level of control as your remote.
I understand that it is new but I just wanted to throw those items out there. They really are the only things that I think they need to add to make it a solid app. By looking at it is merely a perk, I have a feeling that you don't have an Echo or anyone in your life with a disability. I find that when things are useful with the Echo, they will be part of my life forever.

I don't think that being able to verbally bring up the guide, scan channels,and select one of them or being able to open recordings to play a series in the correct order is a moonshot request. At the same time, I would think that more people will hold onto the Hopper and not switch to Internet only providers if convenience is increased. I'm not sure if that was their motivation for the app but I have a feeling that it will certainly help as more people integrate their home with the assistance of voice control.

Reactions: david_jr
Although I wouldn't be surprised if that gets added since there seems to be a pretty good relationship between Amazon and Dish right now. They already have Netflix so it isn't like they are opposed to the idea.

Because Amazon Video is not enabled IN the Hopper. With the Hopper, Alexa is a control assistant, not a video app.
Yes, I know Alexa is a control assistant. I was just commenting on, if they add this control assistent to Hopper, why not enable the video app also since they are the same company and I'm sure Amazon would WANT to have this available to customers that have Hopper.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
They could offer a Prime Video version that doesn't have the PPV (essentially only offer the SVOD that comes with Prime and not the EST portion)

Reactions: handiman876
I thought Dish would never allow Netflix on, as they compete in PPV. Yet, Lo and Behold, the sun rose in the West!

So now, the only limiter is any agreement with Netflix.

Netflix isn't really a pay per view offering, it is a subscription service. The PPV movies that I buy from Amazon are mostly the latest releases plus anything I want to watch that isn't offered on Netflix or Amazon Prime.
To me there is a difference and I can see Dish resisting losing their $7 a pop PPV to Amazon's $5 to $6 rate.

Reactions: lakebum431
Netflix isn't really a pay per view offering, it is a subscription service. The PPV movies that I buy from Amazon are mostly the latest releases plus anything I want to watch that isn't offered on Netflix or Amazon Prime.
To me there is a difference and I can see Dish resisting losing their $7 a pop PPV to Amazon's $5 to $6 rate.
Exactly. Netflix is an SVOD model only. Very different than Dish's PPV/VOD (EST) model.

Netflix use to be a movie service. Now I can’t find any movies on it I want to watch and it has turned more into a Originals service instead.

A lot of what people are watching on Netflix now is not available on Dish.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Anyone having issues getting the Alexa app to complete setup for the Dish skill? When I select one of my Hoppers after pairing it says no devices found?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried the Alexa integration. On the surface it seemed nice, telling Alexa to switch to a particular channel worked fine. Following the example I asked Hopper to show me Tom Hanks movies. They came right up on the screen. I then asked for Tina Fey movies but Alexa couldn't figure out what I was talking about.

The main problem with the Dish skill is that it changes the core Alexa functionality. Once enabled, saying "Alexa stop" pauses the television instead of stopping Alexa from speaking. After removing the Dish skill, "Alexa stop" did not revert back to its standard behavior. I had to call Amazon to get it fixed.

I liked it and would have kept it but allowing a skill to override Alexa's default behavior is not good.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)