DISH Debuts Hands-Free TV on Hopper DVR with Amazon Alexa

I never thought about using if for that. Are you talking about a list for Amazon shopping or a generic grocery list? IF a grocery list, how do you get it on an iPhone?
Yes, groceries. The list will show under "lists" in the Alexa app.

Reactions: HipKat
Two more features I like. I can see my security cameras on my Echo Show...

And I also like that I can control my heat / ac by just saying "Alexa set the bedroom temperature to 72 degrees." and it does it. :D

We need more devices that can be controlled by Alexa (without costing an arm and a leg) :)

Reactions: Gobucks
I never thought about using if for that. Are you talking about a list for Amazon shopping or a generic grocery list? IF a grocery list, how do you get it on an iPhone?

Look at OurGroceries app. Set it up for Alexa and the ourgroceries app on your iPhone. Then tell Alexa to add stuff to our groceries and it will sync to your phone.

Reactions: wa6rht and navychop
I love mine. Have a total of 5 now... 1 Original Alexa, 2 Echo Dots and 2 Echo Shows.

We use the "Drop in" feature all the time, it's become an intercom system in our house and away from the house.

I also drop in using the Show and am able to video chat with my wife and kids and also check in on and talk to the dogs. When my kids don't answer their phones I can just "Drop in" on them and start talking. :D

This morning they added Whole Home Audio so you can listen to your music around the house and it is all synced together.
Whole home audio on the Amazon Echo is finally here

I use it a lot when watching TV as its so easy to say Alexa tune to USA on DISH or Alexa Fast Forward 3 minutes.

I do wish it had "Alexa Turn the TV on" and "Alexa Turn the TV Volume up"

Every week it has new features added to it and keeps getting better all the time.
FYI - The ability to turn the TV on and off and change the volume DOES work on the new Sony TVs. I have a 2017 model that is connected to a 2017 Denon AV Receiver and since I have them connected with CEC I am able to say turn on the TV and it also turns on the AV receiver. When I say volume up or down it changes the volume on the Denon.

FYI - The ability to turn the TV on and off and change the volume DOES work on the new Sony TVs. I have a 2017 model that is connected to a 2017 Denon AV Receiver and since I have them connected with CEC I am able to say turn on the TV and it also turns on the AV receiver. When I say volume up or down it changes the volume on the Denon.
I can do all that too, but because of the Harmony Elite, not the gear I have. But I don't find it handy enough to actually care. Grabbing the remote does it better and everything can be done on the remote.

I can do all that too, but because of the Harmony Elite, not the gear I have. But I don't find it handy enough to actually care. Grabbing the remote does it better and everything can be done on the remote.
How does a remote turn the TV on/off or turn the volume up/down "better" than saying it. Maybe you mean you find it easier to do it with your hands than to speak it, but it doesn't do it better, it does the exact same thing.

Reactions: HipKat
How does a remote turn the TV on/off or turn the volume up/down "better" than saying it. Maybe you mean you find it easier to do it with your hands than to speak it, but it doesn't do it better, it does the exact same thing.
Because the remote can do all the functions easily, not just some small subset.

What functions are you talking about?
Source changing, various menu things that come up now and then and so on. I've found that I can tell the remote to do a fair number of functions, but since I'm sitting right there with the remote, using it with my hands is just as easy and for a fair number of things just doable at all. Not to mention that sometime it seems that Alexa/Echo just forgets a device unless I add 'on Dish' or some such.

Source changing, various menu things that come up now and then and so on. I've found that I can tell the remote to do a fair number of functions, but since I'm sitting right there with the remote, using it with my hands is just as easy and for a fair number of things just doable at all. Not to mention that sometime it seems that Alexa/Echo just forgets a device unless I add 'on Dish' or some such.
Gotcha. I find that I can do essentially everything I need by speaking to it. In the rare instance that I need to do something that I can't do by voice the remote is still there, but I find very few needs for it...

Gotcha. I find that I can do essentially everything I need by speaking to it. In the rare instance that I need to do something that I can't do by voice the remote is still there, but I find very few needs for it...
I can understand that. In general the only time I use the Echo for channel changes and such is when I'm away from my 'spot' and not actually paying a lot of attention to the TV. But after getting the Echo I don't do that much any more. I just tell Alexa to play some music or news to get noise in the house.

I've got to do some thinking/researching about getting it to read a book to me. I'm pretty sure it can be done with at least some books.

Reactions: lakebum431
I find that telling Alexa to tune to AHC is very hit or miss. Mostly miss.

And that's how I discovered, that under the CGUI, sometimes 195 is on my Favorites list, and sometimes it isn't. Not to mention going to the Hopper option to add a channel to your favorites will reveal the lists of what's "in list" and what's "not in list" in that Favorites list is not accurate. And lists the same channel on both.

Getting Alexa to read a book would be nice, especially Audible books we've purchased. SWMBO would really like that.

I love mine. Have a total of 5 now... 1 Original Alexa, 2 Echo Dots and 2 Echo Shows.

We use the "Drop in" feature all the time, it's become an intercom system in our house and away from the house.

I also drop in using the Show and am able to video chat with my wife and kids and also check in on and talk to the dogs. When my kids don't answer their phones I can just "Drop in" on them and start talking. :D

This morning they added Whole Home Audio so you can listen to your music around the house and it is all synced together.
Whole home audio on the Amazon Echo is finally here

I use it a lot when watching TV as its so easy to say Alexa tune to USA on DISH or Alexa Fast Forward 3 minutes.

I do wish it had "Alexa Turn the TV on" and "Alexa Turn the TV Volume up"

Every week it has new features added to it and keeps getting better all the time.

Hi Scott and I agree. We love our Echo's. Also, want to add that I believe the Echo's are not available on Amazon is there is a newer version coming out. A little smaller but more powerful. Not sure of all the new features.

Download the Alexa App to your iPhone. The shopping list synchs and you take the list with you. Too cool.

Reactions: wa6rht
. Also, want to add that I believe the Echo's are not available on Amazon is there is a newer version coming out. A little smaller but more powerful. Not sure of all the new features.
I don't know where/how you are getting that notion. They are certainly still available...and on SALE!
Amazon product ASIN B01DFKC2SO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)