dish decline

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The problem with linear services via internet today is that they are treated the same way as on demand services - all data is solely from the source on the internet. If they merely port the data feed from the satellite to the internet and treat it the same way as the satellite feed (have a one hour buffer recorded on the hard drive) subscribers would not even know there had been a source shange. The only caveat to internet vs satellite delivery might be the subscribers bandwidth limit - you might not be able to support the recording of 21 simultaneous data streams but how many actually hit that limit now?

With a new receiver that is capable of both satellite and internet streams to a hard drive buffer instead of directly to your TV display, a satellite service like Dish could all but eliminate rain faid by switching from satellite to internet feed only when the satellite feed was degraded, similar to what thet do now by switching from the HD feed to the SD feed when that happens.
Linear TV services today offer their content available as VOD after a number of days from live "broadcast" as linear content through Dish (although sometimes with no commercial skipping or FF), like one views content on Netflix, etc. The way Dish today allows us to watch a LIVE linear streamed channel (like the HBO's/Max's and a whole bunch of sports channels and other linear streamed channels) is to allow us to skip back and, of course, to skip ahead if we are in Live Delayed, but NO RECORDING. I would think Dish would have to somehow secure the right for its customers to RECORD and commercil skip a live Linear stream and commercial skip the playback of any recordings we make to DVR with all the same protections of the content provided by Dish DVR's today.

Keep in mind there are many news and current event LIVE linear streamed channels like CBS News and Cheddar News and SPORTS channels that don't allow us to skip back using a Roku or Amazon Fire, etc. The trick-play capability is key to really wanting to watch these live linear streaming channels that don't have everything they air as VOD.

As far as internet that is no fast enough to allow for multiple HD/4K streams in one household, that is a fair point, but it would not have to take much say an upgrade to just 50Mbps, could allow for a sufficient number of recordings or streams of sufficient high quality to enter the home of say 5 people. Kick up the downstream ot 65-70Mbps, and absolutely no problems with even an extra person. The current business of selling every single household--in some parts of the country--200Mbps for $70+ per month as the ONLY plan/option for sale is a monstrous waste of speed and satisfies greed with many households having NO OTHER high speed internet competitor for more reasonable prices and speeds that aren't silly fast. Offer me $25-$30 for 40-50Mbps second and I'll take it. That would save me nearly $50 per month for the useless other 150Mbps I NEVER use/need, and my ISP is always trying to get me to upgrade to 400Mbps for only $20. What use does any consumer household have a use for 400Mbps downstream--other than a business at home that streams in and out quite a bit of multiple videos streams like a Zoom hub central home?

Codecs are getting even MORE efficient, and lossy codecs used on the internet are no worse (some even better) than the lossy codecs like legacy MPEG-4 or MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC) and HEVC, VP9, AV1, and what not, and future codecs will require less and less internet speed such that in the years to come should Dish move to all internet delivery, a modest 25Mbps could very well provide for multiple streams of video to even up to 10 TV's or DVR's in full quality. No, it is not the 16 tuner Hopper 3, nor the 32 tuner 2 Hopper 3 households, but 10 is still a lot closer to 16 than 2, 3, 4, or 6 tuner DVR's available today.

The problem with most new CoDecs is they require special hardware to implement properly, hardware our Hoppers don’t currently have. The Hopper+ concept can address that without requiring swapping out millions of Hoppers in the field today.

I notice that there are blocks of channels in the Guide that show up with a green “Stream” where the SD or HD channel designation goes. If Dish could start installing an Internet backup for satellite-delivered channels, they could say they have “solved” rain fade or signal blockage.

Dish need to make change or differential more of other provider, for example, lower price or more movies channel.

Another option is other company handle other channel, any remember USSB and Direct each provider have different programing.

A new company handle a basic oriented of sport package and regional sport channel. To lower America top’s package.

Dish need to make change or differential more of other provider, for example, lower price or more movies channel.

Another option is other company handle other channel, any remember USSB and Direct each provider have different programing.

A new company handle a basic oriented of sport package and regional sport channel. To lower America top’s package.
But doesn't Dish already differientiate it's value against the competition?

-Lower cost and much better DVR than DTV and Comcast
-Better picture quality and customer service than Comcast and other cable companies
-Better consolidation interface than everyone by including Netflix, HBO, Amazon, etc all into one guide

No one offers better hardware and ease of use than DISH. If you want to cobble together a clumsy system to save a few bucks you have the cord cutter or cable route

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts