Dish deliberately screwing my OTA recordings?

Conjuror

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
Ever since my 622 got the latest software, my OTA recordings (locals) are constantly being "corrupted". Every single HD recording via OTA locals show as "Recovered" after I turn off and turn the receiver back on again. Event info says that the event experienced "data loss" and that it has been recovered. The "Recovered" show will play most of the time but will frequently produce various problems with audio or it'll stop playing in the middle of the show. Signal quality on my OTA locals is not an issue.

I have tested HD and SD recordings multiple times with many satellite channels and never had a single problem with them. Since this is happening only with OTA recordings, I have every reason to believe that Dish may be deliberately doing this in order to make me order local channels from them. Prove me wrong.

Conjuror said:
Ever since my 622 got the latest software, my OTA recordings (locals) are constantly being "corrupted". Every single HD recording via OTA locals show as "Recovered" after I turn off and turn the receiver back on again. Event info says that the event experienced "data loss" and that it has been recovered. The "Recovered" show will play most of the time but will frequently produce various problems with audio or it'll stop playing in the middle of the show. Signal quality on my OTA locals is not an issue.

I have tested HD and SD recordings multiple times with many satellite channels and never had a single problem with them. Since this is happening only with OTA recordings, I have every reason to believe that Dish may be deliberately doing this in order to make me order local channels from them. Prove me wrong.

I don't have HD locals available in my DMA and experiencing the same issue occasionaly. Thats with 90-95 signal on my local digital channels. I don't think it's is plot related (like the plot to piss me off by driving with a cell phone in one hand and makeup in the other).:D

Try pulling the plug to reset the receiver. I don't think it's a conspiracy to get $60 a year from you to subscribe to local nets. Echostar has bigger issues in front of them...:rolleyes:

BigFella said:
Try pulling the plug to reset the receiver. I don't think it's a conspiracy to get $60 a year from you to subscribe to local nets. Echostar has bigger issues in front of them...:rolleyes:

Pulled the plug many times, no luck.

I am not the only one with OTA locals which makes it much more than $60 bucks. Or they wouldn't hide local PG for those who don't pay for them. I can see PG for every channel I don't subscribe to but not for locals. You can call that conspiracy theory if you want.

Conjuror said:
Pulled the plug many times, no luck.

I am not the only one with OTA locals which makes it much more than $60 bucks. Or they wouldn't hide local PG for those who don't pay for them. I can see PG for every channel I don't subscribe to but not for locals. You can call that conspiracy theory if you want.
No. I think you are right. You shouldn't stand for it either. Don't wait another second, call and cancel.

I can't record my locals from Dish in HD on my 622 they get all wonky during playback, yet if I watch it while it's recoding there is no problem. I wonder if it is a problem of my 622 not playing mpeg4 recordings correctly? I've not tried recording the true OTA HD locals much yet, but suppose that's an option I must try.

This is happening to my 622 OTA HD recordings too! I hope they get it fixed pronto as my husband depends on the PBS NOVA recordings for his science classes.

Today, for the first time since I had the VIP211 receiver, ALL my local off-air digital channels stopped working. After I reset the receiver, they all came back. This past week I received both the L340 and L341 software updates. After reading this thread, I bet it is software related. If it happens again to my 211 receiver, I will be convinced of it.

Last night for the first time ever with my 942 I also lost ALL my OTA channels and I'm talking "0" signal strength on all of them. This happened right at 7:30PM PST and ended at 10:15PM PST when the receiver voluntarily reset itself. No new software updates, still on V388 - conspiracy theory huh? Hmmmm.

I have been recording PBS-HD OTA (obviously) overnight for one-half hour 2:00 AM MDT and 2:30. These are the travels shows with Rick Steves and Rudy Maxa. I get a 1:00 recovered for each but the content is 0:30.

I changed to 27 minutes each and maybe half the time it works and the half the time I get the same error, small sample so far. So is it back to back related?

Complaint: with the "recovered" recordings you can edit the title but it does not stick and reverts to recovered.

-Ken

For me, RECOVERED is only a labelling error.

I have been recording the 1.5 hours weekly PBS Mystery in SD OTA on my 622. It displays as 1.0 hour "recovered". But it replays the full 1.5 hours OK.

JH1949 said:
For me, RECOVERED is only a labelling error.

I have been recording the 1.5 hours weekly PBS Mystery in SD OTA on my 622. It displays as 1.0 hour "recovered". But it replays the full 1.5 hours OK.

How can you see OTA PBS in SD with 622? I think 622 will not receive analog OTA signal.

Anyway, it seems to me that Dish has its fingers in this problem. I can watch most of recovered shows too but when I want to stop the show before it ends by pressing stop and then Done on the menu, the the audio is gone on all channels. The only way to get it back is to unplug the receiver and then wait 20 minutes or so until everything comes back to normal (satellite signal, PG, etc). If I stop watching the show by entering a channel number then everything seems to be fine.
One way or the other, I don't like this recovered thing. I think Dish is deliberately doing this to OTA watchers.

"How can you see OTA PBS in SD with 622? I think 622 will not receive analog OTA signal. "

Yes, you can and it's not analog it's digital SD. I can watch PBS Kids on my 211 using the OTA signal, it's not HD, it's just Digital SD.

OTA Signal Strenght

I have my antenna tuned on my Sory tv and I get a signal og 95-98, yet when it's attached to the 622 it drops as low as 72, and lately I get those lost signals, and the recording messes up. How do I reset the receiver and if I do will it reset all the settings that I have saved?

I'm having trouble recording my OTA shows on my 622 also. I never had trouble before the software. I hope they fix it soon, as it's a real pain to loose parts of the shows. Sometimes it says 1 hour but I only have 20 minutes of show recorded. Strange.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)