Dish Disses RV HD

Zero327

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 8, 2006
The Emerald City
If software written by Korean hackers can use legacy switches then company that designed the gear and wrote the specs can make it work too. 30 min's with the source code to fix.

What makes you think that DISH wants to design their components to be compatible so you can use them in alternate methods? What makes you think they have any obligation to do so, and what makes you think they don't have every right to revoke that privilege should they bestow it upon you to begin with?

As a consumer, you can control what products you purchase. But if you don't like the product, DISH isn't going to stop the assembly line or programmers to customize it for you. I mean seriously, a multi-million dollar company customize their equipment for YOU.

Dun think so.

peano

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 6, 2004
What customizing????? The SW64 is an approved switch designed and sold by Dish Network!!!

I would imagine there are thousands of customers using legacy equipment on 129. They don't know they have a problem because they haven't done a check switch.

nsaspook

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 15, 2003
Fairview, Oregon
What makes you think that DISH wants to design their components to be compatible so you can use them in alternate methods? What makes you think they have any obligation to do so, and what makes you think they don't have every right to revoke that privilege should they bestow it upon you to begin with?

As a consumer, you can control what products you purchase. But if you don't like the product, DISH isn't going to stop the assembly line or programmers to customize it for you. I mean seriously, a multi-million dollar company customize their equipment for YOU.

Dun think so.

FAIL! See above.
http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/technology/installation/install-5.pdf

Dish will fix the problems with the next release and adjust the testing matrix so future versions will be checked with a SW64 config.

Last edited:

Pen15head

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 30, 2009
baltimore
nsaspook- no where does that wiring diagram state that the install is for a dpp receiver. it shows a legacy installation, most likely intended for a legacy install. dish's only requirement is for their receivers to work with their equipment. and when dish does phase out their equip, they tend to be proactive about it. they phased out the 105/121 sat orbitals and gave 500+ upgrades to their customers for free as needed. they also take care of repoints and 500+ upgrades as needed with their international migrations. the g3 smart card, well was smooth for me, but i have seen a lot of postings in the forums otherwise. but at least they are trying. i reckon if dish unknowingly or even knowingly phased out a thirdpartys equipment then that is the problem of the consumer who bought aftermarket equipment. dish desinged their equipment with only their equipment in mind. it is the duty of an aftermarket producers responsibility to make sure their equipment is up to par to what they market it with. If you bought a Fram oil filter that did not fit your car right, yet Fram claimed it was to fit it, do you call your car manufacturer and lay into them for it? or do you go back to pepboys and return the product?

nsaspook

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 15, 2003
Fairview, Oregon
nsaspook- no where does that wiring diagram state that the install is for a dpp receiver. it shows a legacy installation, most likely intended for a legacy install. dish's only requirement is for their receivers to work with their equipment. and when dish does phase out their equip, they tend to be proactive about it. they phased out the 105/121 sat orbitals and gave 500+ upgrades to their customers for free as needed. they also take care of repoints and 500+ upgrades as needed with their international migrations. the g3 smart card, well was smooth for me, but i have seen a lot of postings in the forums otherwise. but at least they are trying. i reckon if dish unknowingly or even knowingly phased out a thirdpartys equipment then that is the problem of the consumer who bought aftermarket equipment. dish desinged their equipment with only their equipment in mind. it is the duty of an aftermarket producers responsibility to make sure their equipment is up to par to what they market it with. If you bought a Fram oil filter that did not fit your car right, yet Fram claimed it was to fit it, do you call your car manufacturer and lay into them for it? or do you go back to pepboys and return the product?

Dish made and branded equipment is also not working with the current release, it has nothing to do with third-party equipment. It's the 22khz switching matrix code that is hozed. Somebody screwed up the even/odd logic for sat 3 when using 129. The SW64 is a supported switch for DPP equipment.
Dish just screwed up a software release. This is not the first time they have done it either. Legacy switching is not being phased out. This whole thread is a way to make a stink so they will fix it faster.

DPP 3 sat, legacy 3 sat SW64 110,119,129

Attachments

• P1010058.jpg
    P1010058.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

uts

May 2, 2009
Pacific Time Zone
Well, if this wasn't Dish's problem, their latest software release for the VIP211 and VIP211K sure fixed it. I noticed earlier this week that a new software releases were rolling out for those two receivers. I told my neighbor to keep Dish for a few more days and to watch for the new software. When he called this morning to say he had L456 on his K, it was showtime. We cleared the switch matrix, took it out to the RV, plugged it into the CarryOut and it immediately went to a check switch. Upon completion both odds and evens were okay on 129, the switch was identified as a SW64 and all HD channels worked.
I did some nosing around and found out new releases will be forthcoming for the rest of the VIP series to "correct some issues with 129 Ciel II."
Yes, the purpose of this post was to get Dish's attention. Vindication is oh so cool.

nsaspook

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 15, 2003
Fairview, Oregon
Well, if this wasn't Dish's problem, their latest software release for the VIP211 and VIP211K sure fixed it. I noticed earlier this week that a new software releases were rolling out for those two receivers. I told my neighbor to keep Dish for a few more days and to watch for the new software. When he called this morning to say he had L456 on his K, it was showtime. We cleared the switch matrix, took it out to the RV, plugged it into the CarryOut and it immediately went to a check switch. Upon completion both odds and evens were okay on 129, the switch was identified as a SW64 and all HD channels worked.
I did some nosing around and found out new releases will be forthcoming for the rest of the VIP series to "correct some issues with 129 Ciel II."
Yes, the purpose of this post was to get Dish's attention. Vindication is oh so cool.

+1

Zero327

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 8, 2006
The Emerald City

Pen15head

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 30, 2009
baltimore
i agree with zero. they didnt fix it because of this forum. otherwise they would fix my remote issue and come out with a new remote that controls my USSR surplus tv that my parents bought in the 80's at montgomery wards.

nsaspook

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 15, 2003
Fairview, Oregon
i agree with zero. they didnt fix it because of this forum. otherwise they would fix my remote issue and come out with a new remote that controls my USSR surplus tv that my parents bought in the 80's at montgomery wards.

I agree, but I did say "fix it faster".
Dish fixed it because one of the basic functions of the receiver was broken and it was out of dish networks own specifications.

I have a harmony 880 thats programmed to do everthing, I'm sure it will handle that 80's monkey-wards set. I thought dish had released a learning remote? http://www.satelliteguys.us/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1813704

Pen15head

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 30, 2009
baltimore
the monkey wards set is in the garage. yeah, the 21.0 remote would take care of it. problem is i think the infared sensor in the thing is shot as the orignal remote wont work it, yet when i point the remote at my cellphone camara and push a button i can see the leds on the end of the remote lite up, so i know the remote is working. i thought about replacing the tv, just a lotta work, the tv is bolted down to a shelf about 10 feet up. and since the samn thing still has a great picture, it just hasnt been worth taking down. to turn it on and off i just the lightswitch that the tv set is plugged into(yeah, tv that old where it doesnt have a relay type button in it) and for sound i have a wireless speaker plugged up to the rca outputs of my tv2 hook up on the 322. i keep the speaker right on my work bench. mainly use the tv for background noise or surious music.

boavista

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 2, 2006
Sweet!! Good thing i checked this thread. Thanks a ton dish! I tried 2 weeks ago To change my 61.5 to 129 as i get a significantly Higher signal on that sat especially on my locals.. however it didn't work because of the Software problem they had on the box. Looks like ill get out there tomorrow n change to 129. Once again thanks!!

BTW just proof that dish does read this forum ( not to mention scott saw them on the site with his own eyes). So yea... if ya make stink about it they will listen!

uts

May 2, 2009
Pacific Time Zone
I really don't like to resort to using a two-by-four to get a company's attention to a problem, but when they stonewall people you gotta do what you gotta do. Companies and their employees sometimes lose sight of the fact that you, as a customer, are income and everything else is overhead.

Many thanks to all who helped or agreed with this problem and to those who offered up unplausible deniability, have some more Kool-Aid.

Pen15head

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 30, 2009
baltimore
i never denied that dish may not have tried to make aftermarket equip obsolete. i just think they have no obligation to winegard or customers of windegard to keep their equipment compatible. i do however believe that dish does have a requirement to keep their receivers compatible with dish branded equipment. and if dish chose to phase out legacy installs, then that is their choice. i do believe that if/when dish does began to phase out legacy, or even non-plus equip, they will do it in the same manner that they have in the past. with free upgrades. no different then the upgrades they give for orbital migrations or the upgrades they gave when they obsoleted the 942 721 6000 811 and jvcirr. they took care of those customers with no commitment and no cost requirement.

dishcomm

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 29, 2005
suburbia
Equipment changes- upgrades to newer technology. Dish and Echostar are under no obligation to try to keep their newest equipment compatible with outdated equipment, or competitor's equipment.

In short, Dish antennas on tripods is the way to go. Dish has never claimed it would work with competing equipment. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure the suitability of the equipment he is considering buying.

Sorry, I know you don't want to hear it, but there it is.
I ran into this last year. Customer orders thru Dish. I get there and the cust explains to me that he wants two 311's installed in his RV which was equipped with a mobile sat dish made by Winegard. In any event I was unfamiliar with the mobile antenna. I ask for and then study the users giude. I discovered that the dish was compatibale with Dish Eq BUT..Big BUT......has only the capability to view ONE sat at a time. Customer insisted he was told otherwise.
So me being the thorough type as a courtesy I called the tech that installed the antenna.
He told me that DIsh reception should be no problem. So I had to read HIM what was in the owners guide and was able to convey what I read to the tech. Of course the customer was pissed and he wanted to cancel. No skin off my teeth. I leave the site after activation.........Nothing else to be done.
BUT...He calls Dish to complain and VOILA!!! Trouble call on ME. I am furious when I see the w/o.
I explained the situation to the powers that be at my office and they fixed it up with exec resolutions. But I STILL had to go back to placate the customer. Told him there was nothing we could do.
I explained to him that he could view most of his services off the 119 sat but was not going to be able to operate the system normally as though it were installed in his house.
The whole issue rested upon the poor communication of the RV dealer, their tech and the people at Dish who sold the system.
Due dilligence was not part of this equation.
All who elect to go in this direction RV's with built in mobile antennas should do their homework and ask as many sources as possible before plunking down their cash.

nsaspook

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 15, 2003
Fairview, Oregon
i never denied that dish may not have tried to make aftermarket equip obsolete. i just think they have no obligation to winegard or customers of windegard to keep their equipment compatible. i do however believe that dish does have a requirement to keep their receivers compatible with dish branded equipment. and if dish chose to phase out legacy installs, then that is their choice. i do believe that if/when dish does began to phase out legacy, or even non-plus equip, they will do it in the same manner that they have in the past. with free upgrades. no different then the upgrades they give for orbital migrations or the upgrades they gave when they obsoleted the 942 721 6000 811 and jvcirr. they took care of those customers with no commitment and no cost requirement.

I don't think they will be ditching legacy switching totally anytime soon because it's also a part of the Diseqc spec.
http://www.dbsinstall.com/PDF/Dish_Network/DISH_Pro_Installation_Accessories_Specifications.pdf
Eutelsat satellite fleet :: Earth Segment :: Earth Stations

Works for me. http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-technical-discussions/174404-vp-622-does-not-see-129w.html#post1817481

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)