Dish DLNA?

VinceT3

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Rainsalot Florida
Did anyone else see this, I happened across it on the other site.. If they build in DLNA into the VIP boxes that means we get BOX to BOX viewing of recordings?!!!

Dish would seriously have a winner here if they do this.

Attachments

• Dish - DLNA.jpg
    Dish - DLNA.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 366
There have been numerous times that Dish has said their hardware COULD do something, then later they just decided not to implement the feature, or they couldn't get it to work right. I am reminded of the 942, and how they said it would be able to use an external harddrive. Then they found that there was some sort of problem with the chip they were using, and then they decided to chuck it all and convert all HD streams to MPEG4. Eh, no worries. Early adopters should expect this kind of thing. :mad:

This could be a real hit, if they can get this off the ground they would have a great value added feature......
However saying that it is more than likely to have an enabling fee and not arrive till 2010 when someone else is already doing something better.
Did anyone get more information on this whilst at CES? Did they have a working demo?
This would seem a reason why E* would buy out sling, use something like the sling player to watch on a PC

Scott has posted a video of a VIP222 working as a DLNA server, I got all excited then he said this will be over a year away.

On the other hand E* has been very good with VIP series, seemed to have broken the bad hardware tradition. I wish it is here now, sling box would not cut it becasue it does not do HD, not even serious SD. Sling is good for mobile use.

Has anyone heard anything new about this? This really would be a fantastic feature. Being able to access my dish recordings via a PS3 over the house LAN would be awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)