Dish doesn't want to replace our broken receiver

mrplow

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 10, 2004
We have a 508 that is less than a year old. We have the Dish extended warranty. We have begun having all kinds of problems with it locking up and other error messages. We called Dishnetwork to get a replacement receiver, like we have in the past, they insisted that a technician come out even though they were sure there was a problem with the receiver. The tech came out and said the receiver was bad. He said the only way to replace it was with a 510, but there would be a DVR fee that would be waived on all receivers if we kept everything pack. Is this true, that you get unlimited free DVRs if you have everything pack?

I don't believe that they don't have any 508's to replace yours. If they insist on a 510, insist they waive the fee. Or check Dishstore.net or ebay for a replacement (obviously not a free replacement)

If you have the Everything Pack, you do not have to pay the DVR fee. I would call again and see if you could get someone to do a return on the receiver. If you drop the Everythig Pack, you will have to pay $4.98 per DVR.

For some reason my browser didn't load you whole message until I replied. Anyways, the AEP waives the DVR fee for all the DVR's that have a fee (which they all will as new ones roll out and old ones made obsolete by mpeg4), but if you drop the AEP, the 508 does not have a fee. I am just having a real hard time believe dish does not have any 508's. Heck there are people with older receivers getting them replaced. Sounds kind of fishy to me.

Next time, get the tech to call Dish have have them set up a shipped replacement. Dish has 508's out there.

Tom Bombadil said:
Why does this thread state that Dish doesn't want to replace your receiver when they have offered you an option to replace your receiver?

Yes, but they are offering one with an extra DVR fee per month. The one he has does not have the fee. I guess maybe he could take the 510 then flip it and buy a 508 online from somewhere.

DON"T TAKE THAT CRAP. They have a 508, I would bet money on that. Besides they need to replace that product with like equipment, and that means no DVR fees. Contact your states AG.

When I checked my Dish account online this weekend there was a AD that said exisiting customers could upgrade to a DVR with no monthly DVR fee.
I clicked on the ad and they were selling the DVR-508

Maybe the Tech that came had no 508's to swap you out on the spot but Dish should beable to ship you a replacement.
If when you called and they knew the receiver was bad they should have setup a shipped replacement at that point.

Actually, considering they're going to be replacing all the units for MPEG-4, they may have run out of 508's, or they may have WAY more 510's...Either case, I would believe there's more behind it as dish usually replaces your unit with a duplicate. Since this customer clearly has the everything pack, there's no more money to be made from him by switching him to the 510, so that can't be it (no conspiracy theories, eh?).

If he has no intentions of dropping the everything pack (why would you unless you fell on hard times), there's no reason not to replace the broken 508 with a 510...especially if you've got bad history with 508's...

Don't believe anything a local technician says. Call Dish's technical support and they will send you a refurb 508 to replace your 508. You will not have to take the 510. I have three 508's and have had two of them switched out recently, never once was I told I'd have to take a 510.