Dish dropping WTHR Indianapolis (Dispatch Broadcasting Group)

I've just about had it with Dish. The Big10 network may be gone by Saturday and now WTHR!
Doesn't the law require Dish to broadcast local channels... unless the local channel wants to make something of it?

looks like there is 2 stations

The Dispatch Broadcast Group includes the WBNS television (CBS-affiliate WBNS-TV) and radio (WBNS (AM) and WBNS-FM) stations in Columbus, the Ohio News Network, and NBC-affiliate WTHR television in Indianapolis formerly (WLW-I) which was purchased in 1975.

Yeah this will be the last straw for me...when Big 10 network and WTHR are both gone, I'll be switching to Direct. Have an install scheduled for next Friday, if Dish gets their act together, I'll consider cancelling the install

Sigh.....

I've dealt with enough Dish disputes over the years and kept an eye on the Direct disputes also...based on my current situation, what Dish offers, what Direct offers, history, pricing, etc, etc....I'm about ready to pull the trigger. Obviously, we, the consumer, have 0 control despite our provider. But if I have AMC, Big 10, and my local NBC affiliate all dropped within 60 days of each other, at the start of college football season no less, I will have to part ways with Dish. We don't have many ways to show the provider what we feel about their service...emails to customer service, and in this case ceo@echostar.com change nothing, they don't really care all that much, so I'll show them how I feel, in the only way possible: With my wallet.

I have been relatively happy with my service, the hardware has always been very good, pricing is reasonable (and very equal t competitors). But this recent (impending) string of dropped channels, the lack of ESPN news HD, putting putting VelocityHD into the "Blockbuster" package, etc, etc, etc all adds up to be just about enough for me. Hell, I'll even have to pay an ETF since I signed a new contract in order to get one of my leased receivers replaced when it bit the dust (that's a whole 'nother can of worms). But if I decide I've had enough, I'll pay the ETF, leave and see if service is better with someone else. If their service gives me issues, I'll have to make another decision. These are rational decisions I'm making, not some knee-jerk reaction to the latest rumor. So I'll keep my install date as scheduled, see how the situation works itself out, and make an informed decision.

I don't think you're really worried, but thanks for your concern :)

Good points! Totally agree with u. I want AMC....hell I want the hopper. Ive wanted them since 3-15 when the hopper went on sale. I went right to the local sat office....was told Im a "C" customer...and itll cost me 1,400$ for two hoppers three joeys. Ive called them for months since then. My hopper purchase lastmonth dropped to $700 bucks. As of 30 min ago...(ya on the phone again with them over the hopper) its down to $400!! Lol...$200 im set...I cant afford $400. All in all...that HR34 with five tuners from direct looks awesome as well. Two of them...would make me happy. Hoppers and joeys would to...but dish makes it to difficult. It wouldnt just be tv...it would be direct tv...lol)

DIRT TAKE NOTE!
This is a something I do not understand about the local blackout by Dish of CH 13 in Indy. I am a Dish sub and have noted the black out not only is the CH 13 signal Dish sends by Sat, but also the signal my Dish receivers take from the my off air antenna. Is this legal for Dish to block both the OTA and Sat signal? I pay for a service to activate my set top boxes for BOTH sat and off air signals. The Off air signals are supposed to be FREE TO AIR. What’s up with this?

So what happens when you try and view 13?

They (DIsh) can pull guide info from that station OTA but them pulling the satellite station doesnt affect OTA reception

So what happens when you try and view 13?

They (DIsh) can pull guide info from that station OTA but them pulling the satellite station doesnt affect OTA reception

Hi Ice, when I tune to the OTA digital channel (yellow in the guide), I see the same loop with the gal from Dish explaining why I can not watch CH 13

thats not good. Dish should not be blacking out the local (OTA) version. Guide info yes but not the channel in question

If you delete the channel and rescan it in does it change?

Hi Ice, when I tune to the OTA digital channel (yellow in the guide), I see the same loop with the gal from Dish explaining why I can not watch CH 13

That shouldn't be the case. The receiver won't change the content of the OTA channel. Maybe try restarting the box in case it's not changing the channel properly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts