Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Its nice to post some good news about Dish Network!

Just got word that as of April 7th Dish Network has dropped the $5 a month HD Enabling fee down to $0!

Customers who had ViP MPEG4 receivers but did not subscribe to HD packages had to pay this $5 a month fee to watch HD locals and HD premium channels.

Its great to see this fee go away... Now only if they got rid of the Per DVR fee... :D

This would be real nice for those in a financial pinch who had to downgrade to a basic package and locals to save even a little more.

Way to go Dish!

With that being said, here's to hoping this is not the only "release" for today ...

Here is an email that was just sent to retailes.

Dear DISH Network® Retailer,

Great news! The $5.00 HD Enabling was reduced to $0 on April 7, 2009!
In the past, existing customers who had a ViP-series/MPEG-4 receiver and did NOT subscribe to eligible HD Programming were charged a $5.00/mo. HD Enabling Fee. As of April 7, 2009, those customers who were subject to the $5.00/mo. HD Enabling Fee can continue to enjoy HD Programming, such as local network programming and/or premium movie packages, at the reduced HD Enabling Fee of $0/mo. New customers will also benefit from the reduced HD Enabling Fee!

I hope this means that all customers will son be getting MPEG-4 equipment so they can start the long and slow MPEG-2 transition for SD channels.

This is good news, I'm not hit with this fee now but it opens up options. I was ready to walk if the HD Absolute package was removed or substantially increased in price but now I would probably downgrade to premiums only.

Enabling fees and the like contribute to customer deflections. Looks like their marketing guys are finally starting to understand what irritates customers.

Looks like someone has been reading my posts about eliminating extra made up fees. Now lets get rid of dvr fee PER receiver and make the dvr advantage cover ALL dvrs on the account, and the no phone line connection fee and you might be on par with DIRECTV. Especially since DISH can't seem to make any new hd channels appear as promised.

this means they are expecting to lose the tivo court battle and they are going to have to start offering mpeg4 boxes to circumvent paying tivo..

:)

It could also mean that Dish is about to start transitioning some SD programming to MPEG-4 across the board i.e., both Eastern and Western Arcs.

It could also mean that Dish is about to start transitioning some SD programming to MPEG-4 across the board i.e., both Eastern and Western Arcs.

The key word in your post is "start". There are a lot of MPEG 2 boxes out there that will need to be replaced first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)