Dish DVR

scottie_h

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2004
Cologne, MN
Dish DVR vs. Tivo?

(I edited the title to make it more specific than the original)

We've had stand-alone Tivo for over a year. I'm seriously considering the 942/625 combo with Dish.

Can anyone give a comparison between the Dish DVR and Tivo? What are the major differences?

I'm sure someone has maybe even put something together out there that I haven't come across, so feel free to direct me to any pre-existing information.

I hate to make the 'wrong choice', or I'll never hear the end of it - especially if an episode of "The OC" gets missed... ;)

Thanks!

If you are accustomed to a Tivo, you (most likely) will NOT be happy with any E* DVR. (although I'm sure of 1 or 2 trolls that will chime in refute this)
Have you given any thought to switching & getting a D-Tivo receiver?
Although the D-Tivo doesn't do a couple of the things your Tivo does, (like HMO features) it DOES give you the satellite bitstream recording & two tuners, so that you can record 2 different shows at once, while still watching a pre-recorded show. The monthly fee is only $5 per ACCOUNT, regardless of how many D-Tivo's you have on an account.

Check out both the E* & D* DVR forums & see for yourself which DVR has the fewest problems... ;) ;)

dishrich said:
Have you given any thought to switching & getting a D-Tivo receiver?
That is absolutely a consideration at this point. The free HD receiver or $250 to lease the HD-DVR makes Dish very tempting.

DirectTV is now offering a $200 rebate for Voom converts, so I am swaying that direction now. The fact that we already have a stand-alone Tivo make not having to learn a new PVR a definite WAF consideration. I'm sure I could survive, but I'd hate to have to put up with "sighs" if 'someone else' isn't impressed... ;)

Since my five year old also can surf Tivo to find his own recordings, I'm probably also going to get a PVR in his room regardless of which provider I go with. DTivo would prevent a learning curve for him too.

Unfortunately, I don't have the spare cash for an HDTivo at the moment (just added a second car payment after over a year with only one), but I've read rumors of a lease option later this year. I've survived this long without being able to record HD, so I can last a little longer. Although that Dish 942 sure would be nice.

Decisions, decisions...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)