DISH Energizes Hopper Platform at CES!

So $12.00 ? Then what is the incentive to go with the super joey at all then? Unless you meant the same as a Joey , then it would only be $7.00 a month. I would definitely think about replacing my second hopper if I could avoid the $12.00 a month fee for the 2nd hopper. I would only lose one tuner and save the $5.00 a month fee. I would also have all of my tvs on one home network instead of two now.

Super Joey will be $7 :)

Thats pretty cool, I would have much rather seen an add on box like the USB Ota tuner to just add the tuners to the Hopper that way.

I think from an install stand point, a super joey may be easier to install.

Now Its just a matter of time when Directv comes out with a Super Genie and provide 8 real tuners

Who care about 8 real tuners. I want 4K even if its just one tuner :)

Super Joey Photos from dish.

Attachments

• SuperJoey.jpg
    SuperJoey.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 324
  • SuperJoey Back.jpg
    SuperJoey Back.jpg
    659.4 KB · Views: 310
If they can make a super joey with 2 additional tuners, then why can't they allow the hoppers to share tuners for a total of 6 tuners (9 with PTAT enabled)? That would free up tons of recording conflicts, at least at my house. I hate having to set up different timers on different hoppers.

I think Directv now has a wireless Genie Client available using their own router separating it from the customer's home network.

I am curious if wireless will work on the Super Joey by adding a wireless stick to it? Perhaps they could come out with a compatible usb stick to make any of the previous Joeys work with their new device? Wouldn't 2.4 ghz work better for penetrating through the walls or are they combining 2.4/5 ghz to get bandwidth and wall penetration? What kind of range would this have?

I'm interested in how the virtual joeys will work. Does it work over your existing home wired/wifi network? Is there a monthly fee? Are there limitations to how many VJ you can have? i.e. can you have 1H, 3 J and 3 VJ? Assuming it is reliable, why even have an original Joey (besides cost of PS3/4 etc.)? Any potential they would open it up to other devices like AppleTV, Roku, Chromecast or HTPC?

If they can make a super joey with 2 additional tuners, then why can't they allow the hoppers to share tuners for a total of 6 tuners (9 with PTAT enabled)? That would free up tons of recording conflicts, at least at my house. I hate having to set up different timers on different hoppers.

I don't see why this couldn't be done either but I may be missing something important someone else would know about.

I don't see why this couldn't be done either but I may be missing something important someone else would know about.

Scott asked Vivek in his interview, bandwith issues. If you asking about for example a Two Hopper/One super Joey set up, as I had asked about

Here's another question I don't think I've seen discussed. It may be hard to tell on the show floor, but for those in attendance at CES...can you tell if the SJ makes any more noise than a regular Joey? I would likely place an SJ in my bedroom. Since it has no hard drive, and from the photos above, I can't see any fans, so I'm hoping the SJ is silent like the existing Joeys with no moving parts.

It most likely connects to both the node and a direct satellite feed.

In which case it might as well connect to the duo node host port. I think I heard Vivek say that was one possible configuration.

Excellent question. I also don't "get" why they can't add the USB tuner to the SJ, or the EHD, as we expected back before the H2000 came out. As of right now, the lack of a 2nd USB tuner would keep me from getting a HwS/SJ setup. In addition to the higher cost. :(

Last edited:
Super Joey will be $7 :)

Well that is good news . OF course, I am sure that DISH is already thinking about jacking it to $10.00-$12.00 for next year's price hike. Soon as well all get one this year, just like the did the 2nd hopper fee. But I might actually look at getting one if it means full integration and I can avoid the $12.00 fee for the 2nd hopper.

If the hopper dies, does the 2 tuners in the super joey still work until u can get the dead hopper replaced? I would think they would since it is run to the lnb. If it does work that way, that would be a huge advantage over the directv genie. If the genie dies you are sol on all the other tvs.

If the hopper dies, does the 2 tuners in the super joey still work until u can get the dead hopper replaced? I would think they would since it is run to the lnb. If it does work that way, that would be a huge advantage over the directv genie. If the genie dies you are sol on all the other tvs.

I'm pretty sure it's a client and needs to link to the Hopper. So without the Hopper, I highly doubt it will have any functionality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts