DISH Energizes Hopper Platform at CES!

BOTH ways, actually...I myself, was already an existing sub, & I was actually in mid-contract with my last legacy DVR upgrades... :D ;)

Here is what I think is stupid about this SJ...

OK, so they stick 2 tuners in this thing & it integrates them into the Hopper & all...but WHY didn't they just go ahead & put in a 3rd tuner while they were at it? I mean, when you use a Duo Node for a H/J system, you have 6 sat tuning streams available anyway...& you CANNOT use any other type of (single-tuner) receiver on the system anyway. So now, they basically left 1 sat tuning stream "hanging out" there, with no way to use it. Putting a 3rd tuner in the SJ would have enabled that 6th stream to be utilized, while one-upping DirecTV on their 5-tuner DVR.

Because the Moca is only capable of 5 (or 8 with PTAT) feeds on a single Hopper. That is probably why there hasn't been integration on 2 Hoppers.....

It's amazing what ER will do to keep a customer. If I had listened to people only on these threads I would not have three hoppers so what do you want to bet that I with my three hoppers, will also have a super Joey in my office. Since one of my hoppers is not connected to the others it will work perfectly it's on its own node and everything and can't see the others. I know what they said at CES but things always change when they get out in the field.

Last edited:
BOTH ways, actually...I myself, was already an existing sub, & I was actually in mid-contract with my last legacy DVR upgrades... :D ;)

Here is what I think is stupid about this SJ...

OK, so they stick 2 tuners in this thing & it integrates them into the Hopper & all...but WHY didn't they just go ahead & put in a 3rd tuner while they were at it? I mean, when you use a Duo Node for a H/J system, you have 6 sat tuning streams available anyway...& you CANNOT use any other type of (single-tuner) receiver on the system anyway. So now, they basically left 1 sat tuning stream "hanging out" there, with no way to use it. Putting a 3rd tuner in the SJ would have enabled that 6th stream to be utilized, while one-upping DirecTV on their 5-tuner DVR.

A customer can get 2 Hoppers for free when they upgrade but I do not see Dish waiving the upfront fee for a second Hopper when signing up as a new customer. I know I wouldn't do it for a new customer, that's money out of my pocket.

but I do not see Dish waiving the upfront fee for a second Hopper when signing up as a new customer. I know I wouldn't do it for a new customer, that's money out of my pocket.

And how long HAVE you been a dealer to learn that DISH does MANY things for customers for FREE, that they will NOT pay YOU as a dealer to do the SAME thing...HELLO!!! :D :confused:

And how long HAVE you been a dealer to learn that DISH does MANY things for customers for FREE, that they will NOT pay YOU as a dealer to do the SAME thing...HELLO!!! :D :confused:

I myself have been doing this work for 8 years but my family's business has been selling satellite since the C-Band days. There are good times and bad with Dish but I we basically have 2 options, either continue following along with Dish's rules or just quit selling altogether. It's Dish's business and we decided to join them by selling their product

The lady I spoke to at the DISH booth told me the SJ WOULD be $10/month...& she seemed VERY sure of that.
Sorry, but I think for most people they would be better off spending the extra $2 & springing for a 2nd Ho; you're getting a 3rd tuner & twice the storage space - not to mention if the (only) Ho craps out & you have NO TV service at all.
$10? Damn.

I really wish you could buy the Super Joey outright, so we could avoid these stupid rental fees, a la cable modem.

Oh well. I guess I'll just stick with my regular Joey. Yes, Super Joey is only $3 more than the original Joey, but for what the Super Joey is, $10 is bit ridiculous, IMHO.

Last edited:
$10? Damn.

I really wish you could buy the Super Joey outright, so we could avoid these stupid rental fees, a la cable modem.

Oh well. I guess I'll just stick with my regular Joey. Yes, Super Joey is only $3 more than the original Joey, but for what the Super Joey is, $10 is bit ridiculous, IMHO.

You really think $3 more for two extra tuners and full integration is ridiculous? Think of all the stupid crap you spend money on each week that cost $3 or more. You could find $3 in change just laying around the house each month. To me $10 makes perfect sense.

They aren't rental fees.

Imagine if internet companies started trying to charge an additional monthly fee for each device you hook up to your router. That is essentially what cable/satellite providers have been doing for years. Many of them did actually call them lease fees.

At least a rental fee would make sense. It makes sense for them to charge a lease fee if you don't own your equipment. A fee to watch the same service you are already paying for inside the same house is about as ridiculous as paying to use the internet in a different room of your house.

We know they aren't going to do this but virtual Joey should be free. It's not costing them anything extra for our hopper to stream to a ps4.

Imagine if internet companies started trying to charge an additional monthly fee for each device you hook up to your router. That is essentially what cable/satellite providers have been doing for years. Many of them did actually call them lease fees.

At least a rental fee would make sense. It makes sense for them to charge a lease fee if you don't own your equipment. A fee to watch the same service you are already paying for inside the same house is about as ridiculous as paying to use the internet in a different room of your house.

We know they aren't going to do this but virtual Joey should be free. It's not costing them anything extra for our hopper to stream to a ps4.

Well lets say that Dish doesn't charge for the Virtual Joey and they make it available on multiple devices. Then we start seeing everyone get rid of all Joeys and only use Virtual Joeys. Would you expect Dish to charge for them then, because there would be a LOT of lost revenue because of it.

Well lets say that Dish doesn't charge for the Virtual Joey and they make it available on multiple devices. Then we start seeing everyone get rid of all Joeys and only use Virtual Joeys. Would you expect Dish to charge for them then, because there would be a LOT of lost revenue because of it.

I don't think this is something we will have to worry about because dish won't do this. They have kept charging monthly for owned equipment and they will still charge for virtual joeys.

At this point they are saying that only 1 VJ can be used at a time and most people will stay with standard equipment anyways. I don't think their losses would actually be that huge. Still I'm not that worried about their revenues. I know they are but I'm not a stockholder. ISP's could greatly increase their revenue if they started charging fees for each device you connect to the internet too. That doesn't mean I would welcome that new revenue stream for them.

I don't think this is something we will have to worry about because dish won't do this. They have kept charging monthly for owned equipment and they will still charge for virtual joeys.

At this point they are saying that only 1 VJ can be used at a time and most people will stay with standard equipment anyways. I don't think their losses would actually be that huge. Still I'm not that worried about their revenues. I know they are but I'm not a stockholder. ISP's could greatly increase their revenue if they started charging fees for each device you connect to the internet too. That doesn't mean I would welcome that new revenue stream for them.

It's very possible that we may see those types of fees from ISP's in the future. The more we become reliant on that type of service the more they'll take advantage of it.

Whomever suggested the one time Virtual Joey fee nailed it.$7 per month is a rip off imho.

You really think $3 more for two extra tuners and full integration is ridiculous? Think of all the stupid crap you spend money on each week that cost $3 or more. You could find $3 in change just laying around the house each month. To me $10 makes perfect sense.

I think $10 for the SJ is way more reasonable than $7 for the virtual Joey. There is an extremely limited number of situations where a VJ would be preferable to an actual Joey. Dish could have stuck with the one per account, lower fee, and it would have had a big attraction I think. At $7 very unattractive to most people I would think. The SJ is much more attractive in its capabilities and the ability to deploy it in an existing system with little modification to existing wiring schemes.

Well, I said it is a bit ridiculous, but yes, IMHO. If it is not for you, that's cool.

And like I said, give me the option to buy the Super Joey outright to avoid the fee/charge (or whatever you want to call it), a la cable modem, and for all I care, Dish can charge whatever they want.

Oh, and I know you meant it figuratively, or as a analogy, but I rarely use physical money these days, so there would not be any loose change lying around the house. :p

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts