Dish ETF question

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
About 2-3 months ago I came back to Dish after about 4-5 years. Now, somewhat unexpectedly, there is a chance that I might be moving in about 6 months, probably to an apartment where I wouldn't be able to have Dish.

In the past I've heard that DirecTV will let you out of an ETF if you move somewhere that you can't get a dish installed or if you can't get line of sight. What is the Dish policy here? If you move somewhere where it's impossible or you're not allowed to have Dish, do they still hold you to the ETF?

If you move somewhere where it's impossible or you're not allowed to have Dish, do they still hold you to the ETF?

They used to waive the etf on movers that had nlos. Pretty certain that is not the case anymore.

If it comes down to a big etf. You can keep 1 receiver on the account and drop back to the welcome pack.

Yeah, I'm not sure what I'm going to do, or if this will even come up (possibly/hopefully changing jobs & moving). Theoretically if I move, I'd be in a Charter area and they do contract buy-outs. Not sure if they'd apply that to a moving situation. Also could possibly transfer the account to my brother or mom who live where they could get dish. Or, might just suck it up and eat the ETF as a moving expense. And, might not move.

Not sure if they'd apply that to a moving situation.
They don't need to know you moved. Just cancel your Dish service, get a copy of the bill with the fee, and provide it to Comcast. Make sure you update your address with Dish first, of course.

Both Dish and DTV have it written in their contracts that moving does not void the contract. They may waive it, but the expectation should be that they will not waive it. The theory behind it is that this is a customer initiated change, and the ETF is to recoup the cost of achieving a customer.

Both Dish and DTV have it written in their contracts that moving does not void the contract. They may waive it, but the expectation should be that they will not waive it. The theory behind it is that this is a customer initiated change, and the ETF is to recoup the cost of achieving a customer.

Yup. I believe both contracts specifically say the contract is still valid if you move

The ETF can be waived in these situations but you must set up a move with dish AND have your account noted by a tech saying that there is no line of sight to get the ETF waived. It will not be waived if you go the "take my word for it" route

Cool, thanks guys. I'm jumping way ahead of myself (don't even have this job yet) but over the holidays things are moving slowly so I'm just playing out various scenarios in my head to be ready.

The ETF can be waived in these situations but you must set up a move with dish AND have your account noted by a tech saying that there is no line of sight to get the ETF waived. It will not be waived if you go the "take my word for it" route

Your 100% correct.

Only time they take your word is when you involve the BBB or Attorney General.

I used to answer the BBB and attorney general complaints all the time when I was a retailer. No matter how wrong the customer was, Dish would side with the customer instead of getting involved in the middle of an argument.

Your 100% correct.

Only time they take your word is when you involve the BBB or Attorney General.

I used to answer the BBB and attorney general complaints all the time when I was a retailer. No matter how wrong the customer was, Dish would side with the customer instead of getting involved in the middle of an argument.
Not always, but often. It's better for PR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts