DISH Expands Amazon Alexa Voice Control Support

I sell more Comcast and Charter Spectrum then I do Directv.

I don’t care what Dish does, and if they want to go ahead and serve all the under served areas that’s perfectly fine with me.

There is no money in Rule America anymore. Everyone in Rule America who can’t get internet or cable access already has Dish network or Directv. It’s simply a flip flop between Dish and Directv when the promotion expires and people are looking to cut their bills.

Trust me when I say this. Besides the people on this board, the average customer doesn’t care if their hopper can record more than 3 things, or if they can speak to their hopper to tell it to change channels. They want Tv, at the best price possible.

The second the cable company comes in and wires their area for internet, that subscription to Dish is pretty much cancelled.

Directv has the same issue, but they get s little relief with having ATT internet and cell phones up bundle.

Rule America will eventually get reliable high speed internet. Just like Rule America got telephone service and electric service, reliable internet is coming.

If it’s not a wired solution, 4G and 5G wireless technology is coming if it’s not already there. As soon as the 4G and future 5g networks get built out the data caps go away, and internet becomes affordable for everyone.
Rural, even?

I hope all those things are true, but if there's no money in rural America as you say, then companies won't provide affordable broadband without caps there.

In satellite Tv video only service.

Internet in Rual America is HUGE. If you build it, they will come.

Look at satellite internet. Sign a customer up for that garbage because they have no other choice and the second cable or DSL is available people drop it and gladly pay the cancellation fees.

I got a place up north. I got a free Exede showroom demo account I was going to put up there. Instead I pay spectrum $45/mo without blinking an eye

5G is short range. Not going to have a huge footprint for oh, 10-20 years? There isn't even a standard yet.

There is an inherent efficiency in sending a signal to cover hundreds of millions of people at once, over sending a signal a million times to a million separate viewers.

We aren't seeing caps go away or Internet getting cheaper for the next decade, at least. Even if Musk and/or Bezos build out successfully.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
5G is short range. Not going to have a huge footprint for oh, 10-20 years? There isn't even a standard yet.

There is an inherent efficiency in sending a signal to cover hundreds of millions of people at once, over sending a signal a million times to a million separate viewers.

We aren't seeing caps go away or Internet getting cheaper for the next decade, at least. Even if Musk and/or Bezos build out successfully.

Right, I agree. Will Dish be around in 30 years? Maybe not. But I think we're OK for 10-20. There are still people with C-Band!

How are you doing that? Alexa can't seem to find My Music. Tell me, please! Or did I misinterpret?

Don’t know about radio stations but it plays my playlist when asked to. “Alexa, play my red neck music playlist.” Works perfect and what’s neat is that when I’m done I can tell it to pause and two days later come back and tell it “Alexa, resume” and it starts back up where I left off!

I have mine setup to do a lot of things, including the shopping list, paired to my Spotify, Pandora and before I left for the current road trip I'm on, I told Alexa to send me a reminder yesterday to renew my Auto Insurance. 2PM yesterday, I get text reminding me to do that on my phone and iPad

I have mine setup to do a lot of things, including the shopping list, paired to my Spotify, Pandora and before I left for the current road trip I'm on, I told Alexa to send me a reminder yesterday to renew my Auto Insurance. 2PM yesterday, I get text reminding me to do that on my phone and iPad
Does the DOT do all that or the other models?

Reactions: pattykay
I am thinking of getting an Alexa product. Wonder what most folks are getting! When I took a look at Amazon there is six products. Do all of them work the Hopper/Joeys?
As others have sais, they all work basically the same. Since you're just looking to experiment a little I suggest a Dot. It's relatively cheap so if you don't like it you're not really out much. if you do like it and want to add more or upgrade it can just become part of a larger system.

I was in the same boat as you and that's what I did. I got it on sale just to play around. I was not interested in using it for music so the smaller speaker didn't matter. I find more and more uses for it everyday though and when Black Friday or Cyber Monday roll around I plan to buy a regular echo for me and a dot for each of my kids.

As others have sais, they all work basically the same. Since you're just looking to experiment a little I suggest a Dot. It's relatively cheap so if you don't like it you're not really out much. if you do like it and want to add more or upgrade it can just become part of a larger system.

I was in the same boat as you and that's what I did. I got it on sale just to play around. I was not interested in using it for music so the smaller speaker didn't matter. I find more and more uses for it everyday though and when Black Friday or Cyber Monday roll around I plan to buy a regular echo for me and a dot for each of my kids.
Thanks Ganthet. That's what I thought too so I just ordered a DOT. Should receive it today.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I just switched back to Dish today after a period without satellite. My Hopper 3 nor 4K Joey is showing the Alexa tile in Settings to "activate" the Alexa skill. The Alexa skill said tune to 9607 and wait 40 minutes for an update, which did no good. I guess i'll way a day or so.