DISH Expands Amazon Alexa Voice Control Support

Well, Dish could implement a system similar to Tivo, which allows you to skip an entire commercial break with a single button push and then add a voice command for Alexa. Tivo's litigious ways notwithstanding, of course. :)

When Dish paid off TiVo they got rights to TiVo software.

Well, Dish could implement a system similar to Tivo, which allows you to skip an entire commercial break with a single button push and then add a voice command for Alexa. Tivo's litigious ways notwithstanding, of course. :)

Ever hear of AutoHop? Has nothing to do with TIVO's patents. TIVO is not a broadcast carrier it only makes receivers where DISH has to make contracts to carry programming. DISH gave up full use of Autohop (Still available after several days) to get better contracts.

If you put it close to your TV, you can run an 1/8" stereo aux cable from the Dot to your TV. The built-in speaker on the Dot is OK, but it's "tinny" sounding; not really good as a bluetooth speaker for music or anything.
Does the Alexa DOT talk back to you, like say wrong command, things like that?

Does the Alexa DOT talk back to you, like say wrong command, things like that?
Yes...but she's not snarky about it.

I have the Show "the one with a screen" that I use as a bedroom clock radio. They have a new one with a screen coming out that is smaller and cheaper. The Spot. If I was to do it all over again, I would buy the Spot as my clock radio. And now that the Joeys work, it would seem to be a good choice for bedrooms. It will be $129.99.

142388-smart-home-news-echo-spot-image1-eo0wez1ms2.jpg

Ok I have hopper 3 and two wireless joeys. I have a Dot in each room as the wireless joey. Can't figure out how to pair them separate so they Alexa in the Bedroom will work with the wireless joey in the bedroom. Right now I say turn to ESPN and the main hopper turns on and goes to ESPN. Do I need to start all over again? Ah never mind i figured it out. I was making it way harder then what it was.

Last edited:
Ok I have hopper 3 and two wireless joeys. I have a Dot in each room as the wireless joey. Can't figure out how to pair them separate so they Alexa in the Bedroom will work with the wireless joey in the bedroom. Right now I say turn to ESPN and the main hopper turns on and goes to ESPN. Do I need to start all over again?

Yes. Unlink the “skill” in the Alexa app then start over

I found that it helps if you always include the word "Dish" when making your request. Like, "Alexa, tune to channel 928 on Dish."
Thanks for the tip. I wish it was more simpler, Alexa is too many syllables. I would just like to say, "DISH channel 4." I wish the 54.0 remote was voice activated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts