Dish Expands High Definition Package

jmd102354 said:
Well according to someone here, the 942 is already obsolete ! Just wanted to know why someone would waste $700. Don't get me wrong, if I could lease it I would get it. MPEG 4 scares my wallet . :smug
Correction: it can be leased, but it requires a $250 upfront cost.

jmd102354 said:
Well according to someone here, the 942 is already obsolete ! Just wanted to know why someone would waste $700. Don't get me wrong, if I could lease it I would get it. MPEG 4 scares my wallet . :smug

The 942 works great from what I hear. How is it obsolete? The discussion around MPEG4 doesnt impact the 942 in any way. Deployment of MPEG4, now that is an entirely different topic all together. :cool:

Is it my assumption that at this point we are waiting to find out if the customers that have HD now will be able to get these channels on Sunday without having to install a 2nd dish?

Paul

WLong said:
The 942 works great from what I hear. How is it obsolete? The discussion around MPEG4 doesnt impact the 942 in any way. Deployment of MPEG4, now that is an entirely different topic all together. :cool:

Sure it works great! But is obsolete because it is NOT mpeg4 compatible . Why would you want (buy) it if it didn't work with mpeg4 HD ??? What do you mean when you say :confused: mpeg4 does not impact the 942 ??

jmd102354 said:
Sure it works great! But is obsolete because it is NOT mpeg4 compatible . Why would you want (buy) it if it didn't work with mpeg4 HD ??? What do you mean when you say :confused: mpeg4 does not impact the 942 ??

I said discussion about MPEG4 doesnt impact the receiver. The actual deployment does. ;)

I'd lease it, but at the present time existing subs can't lease the 942.

I can see one possible solution to the 942 vs MPEG-4 problem... a future MPEG-4 capable STB that connects to the 942 via firewire and, in conjunction with a firmware update, uses the 942 as nothing more than a slave drive (the new STB would encrypt data before sending it to the drive, and decrypt it after reading it).

After all, the drive accounts for the lion's share of a DVR's cost. It wouldn't be quite as compact and neat as a new DVR, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The only snag might be an inability to preserve content saved on the 942 prior to adding the new box (unless the decryption key used by the 942 can be recovered and imported into the new box)... though I guess they'd probably come up with a kludge, like leaving the 942-era content intact, but only being able to view it by connecting the 942 to the TV as a second video source and letting the 942 itself play it.

WLong said:
I said discussion about MPEG4 doesnt impact the receiver. The actual deployment does. ;)

I'd lease it, but at the present time existing subs can't lease the 942.

Therefore it is obsolete ! :) I'll hold on to my 811 and two voom receivers and hope for the best (942 lease) ;)

wlong says:

Until I receive a communication from DISH regarding these channels being on another Satellite, I assume that this statement is incorrect. The only word on the street that has been communicated by DISH to the public is that they plan to add 10 channels of Voom HD content.

Unless I missed a statement from DISH about this requirement...

Continue to live in denial.

There's no free transponder space on 110/119 to put the channels. It has to go at 61.5 and/or 148.

jmd102354 said:
Therefore it is obsolete ! :) I'll hold on to my 811 and two voom receivers and hope for the best (942 lease) ;)

No its not. MPEG4 hasnt been deployed yet. Once it has and MPEG2 is no longer available from DISH, then the 942 is obsolete.

They need to hurry up and make the lease option available for the 942.

WLong said:
No its not. MPEG4 hasnt been deployed yet. Once it has and MPEG2 is no longer available from DISH, then the 942 is obsolete.

They need to hurry up and make the lease option available for the 942.

Whatever.

Then buy it.

I just called Dish Network and spoke to Jesse in Advanced Technical Support.

Me: Hey, congrats on the new HD channels coming up! I have one question though.
Jesse: Thanks. What's your question?
Me: What satellite will these new 10 or so HD channels be shown on?
Jesse: Satellite 110.
Me: You're positive? Rumors are saying 61.5 and some will require a second dish.
Jesse: No, you will not need a second dish, that is why we are putting it there on 110.
Me: Thanks a lot, have a great weekend!
Jesse: Thanks for calling Dish Network.
Me: Bye
Jesse: Bye

So far so good as far as that phone call goes.

Of course, it is POSSIBLE he doesn't even know about the NEW channels yet and simply stated where the current ones are already.

Fingers crossed.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Folks its only 10 Channels, not 14. I just confirmed this with Mark from Echostar.

Called again. CSR doesn't know anything about new channels... :confused: I even told her that some people are getting emails about the addition of those channels tomorrow!!! What if this is a plot from dish to make people (like me :D ) to run and reactivate their 811 + HD package???? :eek: And then tomorrow and May 1st comes and the year ends and NO NEW HD???????

Fgsilva said:
Called again. CSR doesn't know anything about new channels... :confused: I even told her that some people are getting emails about the addition of those channels tomorrow!!! What if this is a plot from dish to make people (like me :D ) to run and reactivate their 811 + HD package???? :eek: And then tomorrow and May 1st comes and the year ends and NO NEW HD???????

i don't think even dish would be stupid enough to pull something like that. i think they finally got something right.

jmd102354 said:
Sure it works great! But is obsolete because it is NOT mpeg4 compatible . Why would you want (buy) it if it didn't work with mpeg4 HD ?
I don't understand how it is obsolete, when I can view all available HD programming offered. Is there some mpeg4 programming that I am missing out on? I bought (yes, paid for) my unit, and I did so because I want to be able to view HD content, and do it with a DVR unit. And that is exactly what I am enjoying now. So, I still miss your point that the 942 is now obsolete!!
Tom in TX

I am so tempted to sell my HD Tivo and switch to Dish. America's top 60 gives me all the channels I need and costs 15 dollars a month less than Direct's basic package (Total Choice). Dish also has my locals and I have waivers from CBS......SHEESH.

The biggest challenge would be to re-learn all the channel numbers! :)

The only content I really enjoy is HD programming and WS DVD's, so as of tomorrow, Dish has what I need!

Tom in TX said:
I don't understand how it is obsolete, when I can view all available HD programming offered. Is there some mpeg4 programming that I am missing out on? I bought (yes, paid for) my unit, and I did so because I want to be able to view HD content, and do it with a DVR unit. And that is exactly what I am enjoying now. So, I still miss your point that the 942 is now obsolete!!
Tom in TX

Can you please take this conversation elsewhere? Doesn't seem all that relevant to this thread. Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)