Dish Expands High Definition Package

Hey all…

I don’t want to act like Mr. Big spender here but I think with all the money we invest in home theater $5/mo isn’t bad really. I don't like the other $10/mo for hd mirrors. It would be great if the $10/mo included these Voom but I happened to have Voom and really enjoyed these channels and was practically preying that Dish would pick them up. I’m happy they did of course. There’s a lot of good content on these 10 channels and something is always on that looks nice on the plasma. Dish or someone needs to pay for this content and to keep it growing.

I do feel that the $10/mo for the normal HD pack is ridiculous. ESPN, for example, spent a ton of cash for their HD setup but really they are forced to do that because of the networks having to go HD soon. How would it look for ESPN to have the national NFL game in regular content forever when each Network affiliate is putting out HD? HBO and Cinemax etc aren’t really included in the package because they already come HD if you have them in SD.

So… the $10/mo for the existing HD Pack is basically to spiff up the already existing content. The $5/mo for Voom Originals is for new content you won’t find anywhere else. Dish better not be looking for a rate increase everytime they add a couple channels or else what they’re going to be doing is basically what Voom did… offering a whopper of an HD package for a big price… in the end making people hold out until prices drop. If a new channel wants to hit Dish up for a nice fee for a channel then they could just sell that channel a la carte and put the heat back on that provider to make their money off advertising or package prestige like HBO. I guess what I’m trying to say is that Dish, in my opinion, should put the heat back on the providers to finance this themselves and if it’s a valued product they will either make money off advertising or through increasing their value as a package. HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Shotime, Discovery, ESPN etc.. all have several channels (some over 6) in the guide so they shouldn’t act as if we’re the ones begging for the HD version of their channel and charge us. They are cramming in as much as they can so why don’t they pay to put up something good and original? If the channel offers totally new content, like “Voom Originals”, then give those guys a share of the $10/mo based on ratings.

I’ve rambled enough… Thanks for reading.

David_Levin said:
Maybe the new promo should be: "Buy a Wing Satellite" and the wife gets a FREE PAIR OF SHOES :dev

Actually, my wife was quite supportive of the 2nd dish, because she loves the Voom channel content (Ultra-fashion, Gallery-art, even Monsters HD). Might be an easy sell to those wives who will actually watch what you're asking permission to sub to...

After I figured out where 61.5 was from my house, I think I may have them put up the 2nd dish. I already called to get some info. 2nd dish for me is free, since I have locals at 61.5 :) Just want to make sure they put it on the back of my house. It's been many years since I had a dish installed. Can you still tell them where you'd like it placed?

dont24 said:
After I figured out where 61.5 was from my house, I think I may have them put up the 2nd dish. I already called to get some info. 2nd dish for me is free, since I have locals at 61.5 :) Just want to make sure they put it on the back of my house. It's been many years since I had a dish installed. Can you still tell them where you'd like it placed?

It's your house isn't it.

Of course you may have to grin and grunt with the tech but if he can get a signal where you want it I believe you win, within reason anyway.

Wrong EPG info?

I upgraded to add the Voom channels on Sunday. Since then, I've noticed that the actual programs on GUYTV and MJSTC don't match the program guide info. The other 8 channels seem to be ok, but can't confirm for sure. I called Dish tech support yesterday, and the CSR took a report on it - thought the problem had to be on their end. But it's still wrong as of this evening. Has anyone else noticed this??

Thanks, Rob

Yup, they've been wrong.

but some changes should be coming to those channels which would hopwfully coincide with correct PG info :)

BFG said:
Yup, they've been wrong.

but some changes should be coming to those channels which would hopwfully coincide with correct PG info :)

Can you be more specific? These two channels have had some good programming, but the channels aren't very useful if you don't know what's going to be shown. I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed already.

rvonder said:
I upgraded to add the Voom channels on Sunday. Since then, I've noticed that the actual programs on GUYTV and MJSTC don't match the program guide info. The other 8 channels seem to be ok, but can't confirm for sure. I called Dish tech support yesterday, and the CSR took a report on it - thought the problem had to be on their end. But it's still wrong as of this evening. Has anyone else noticed this??

Thanks, Rob
This happened occasionally before when they were just Voom.

Rlanham said:
You must not have a wife? ;)

I told my wife I was going to get a 2nd dish so I could get the voom channels and CBS-HD (pre qualified),, all I got was the look :eek:

Good guess.. I don't have a wife.. I don't have a boyfriend either :shocked

Anyway, my 'other half' is my satellite system(s) and the HDTV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts