Dish Family package

clj2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
South Carolina
I currently just have the Dish Family package through Dish that I got in early 2009. At the time, that package was available on their website, but I notice now that it's gone and top 120 is listed as the lowest-tier package. However, I am still recieving Family - what's the deal, they don't offer it anymore to new customers but still provide it to customers that subscribed to it previously? Now it almost costs as much as the top 120 package would on my bill (regular price). DirecTV no longer offers their "family" package either. How will this eventually affect me as a subscriber?

I have this at a home where the TV isn't used much, so it isn't really a big deal...but just wondering.

they don't offer it anymore to new customers but still provide it to customers that subscribed to it previously?
correct

that package is no longer available and you are grandfathered on it. If you move off that package, you can't go back

if we remove or change other packages (ie: HBO/SHOWTIME) besides dish family, are we affected?

if we remove or change other packages (ie: HBO/SHOWTIME) besides dish family, are we affected?

I'm not 100% sure. I know you can switch equipment or buy a PPV/sports package and not lose the grandfather status. But something like that I can't give a definite answer to :)

dish removed the dishfamily package after they finally acknowlegded they were no longer a family company. your premium changes in theory should not have any affect, it just depends on the csr not screwing it up.

dish removed the dishfamily package after they finally acknowlegded they were no longer a family company...

That's a stupid statement. Whether they are a "family company" (whatever that means) has nothing to do with the family pack.

Just because they were selling a "Family Package" does not mean that they were ever a family company to begin with. Its all about the all might dollar.

Thanks for the info. Might upgrade to the top 120 package in the near future....only loss from the Family package is Hallmark....you have to go to top 200 for that. Funny how that's a basic channel on Directv and most cable providers but is high tier on Dish.

Thanks for the info. Might upgrade to the top 120 package in the near future....only loss from the Family package is Hallmark....you have to go to top 200 for that. Funny how that's a basic channel on Directv and most cable providers but is high tier on Dish.

Actually, if you switch from the Dish Family package to America's Top 120 you would lose the following channels:

Animal Planet (in America's Top 200)
Biography Channel (in America's Top 250)
Bloomberg Television (in America's Top 250)
Boomerang (in America's Top 250)
CBS College Sports Television (in America's Top 200)
Cooking Channel (in America's Top 250)
Discovery Kids (in America's Top 250)
DIY (in America's Top 250)
Great American Country (GAC) (in America's Top 250)
Hallmark (in America's Top 200)
Hallmark Movie Channel (in America's Top 250)
Investigation Discovery (ID) (in America's Top 200)
Nicktoons Network (in America's Top 250)
Outdoor Channel (in America's Top 250)
RFD-TV (in America's Top 200)
Science Channel (in America's Top 250)

I would look at the list of channels and see if I watch any of them before switching especially since Dish Family is no longer supposed to be offered. One pro I see is that you would be able to add HD in some way if you wished to do so if you have an HD receiver (such as the HD Free for Life promotion). E*'s Top 120 is $39.99 while D*'s Choice package is $58.99. Also, cable providers are usually higher on their super basic package.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
I've been researching and I'm keeping what I have for now (Family) as I'm not here full time and don't really want to spend a lot of money on TV service at the moment. I really only watch a handful of the national channels.

However, how long can I expect Dish to continue to provide this? I understand it isn't offered anymore and I still get it, but would they would quit providing this package of channels eventually? Just wondering because I guess they would move me to a different package that could be more expensive. I am still under a 2 yr contract for a few more months.

Thanks (and sorry to bring this old thread back up)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)